Can't find VIN# on engine

-

Popdart

Reaction score
I've been trying to find the VIN # on my 383. I look in my 73 manual and it says it's on the right side left of the motor mount about mid engine. I can't find anything. Then I realized the motor was made 11/68, was it in different location in 1968?? Thanks, Rog

68 could be on the bellhousing like this one in about the 11 o'clock position.

Attachments

• 383 Barracuda 062 (Small).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 705
An 11/68 casting is NOT a 68 engine. Most likely a 69, but occasionally leftovers were used in later years (more likely to happen with a 426, though). There is a machined pad right above the pan rail where the VIN will be stamped. What is stamped on the boss in front of the right head?

An 11/68 casting is NOT a 68 engine. Most likely a 69, but occasionally leftovers were used in later years (more likely to happen with a 426, though). There is a machined pad right above the pan rail where the VIN will be stamped. What is stamped on the boss in front of the right head?
"F" I believe for 1970.

The machined pad above the pan rail you speak of and I read about in the manual is on right side (passengers) correct?? I scrapped paint off the length of the block at the pan rail. I didn't find a machined area or stamped numbers . . . .

The machined pad above the pan rail you speak of and I read about in the manual is on right side (passengers) correct?? I scrapped paint off the length of the block at the pan rail. I didn't find a machined area or stamped numbers . . . .

you are checking the passenger side of the engine correct ?

If it has an F383 stamped on the ID pad then it was installed in a 1970 model year production line vehicle.

why are you looking for the vin ?

you are checking the passenger side of the engine correct ?

If it has an F383 stamped on the ID pad then it was installed in a 1970 model year production line vehicle.

why are you looking for the vin ?
Yes I checked the passenger side, there are no numbers there. There is no ID pad I can find. I may not be looking in the right area. Zhandfull stated 68's have it near the bellhousing at 11 o'clock . . I haven't looked yet.

Top pad by the drivers head has an "F" which is 1970. That is there.

I was looking for any information I could find on this engine. What kind of car it came from would help. Would give a little history to it as I have nothing from previous owner.

Thanx, Rog

Look here.. pass side of block

EngNumbers.jpg

Yes I checked the passenger side, there are no numbers there. There is no ID pad I can find. I may not be looking in the right area. Zhandfull stated 68's have it near the bellhousing at 11 o'clock . . I haven't looked yet.

Top pad by the drivers head has an "F" which is 1970. That is there.

I was looking for any information I could find on this engine. What kind of car it came from would help. Would give a little history to it as I have nothing from previous owner.

Thanx, Rog

what is exactly stamped on the drivers side pad in front of the head.

You will only get a GUESS as to what the engine came out of , if it's been rebuilt that really doesn't matter anymore.

-
Back