Can't get gas into my 1971 Dart??

-

Veryfastdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I try to fill my 1971 Dart Swinger, the gas nozzle just keeps popping off like its full and gas pours out of the filler neck onto the body? It's not full? Any ideas??
Thanks

There is no vent tube off of the filler neck? That was my first suspicion.

It may sound odd, but.......

Hold the gas nozzle upside down so the nozzle hose is up.

Common problem, new gas nozzles are not always old car friendly.

Did you try it at less than half trigger?

Some newer pumps seem to move more volume faster than the old ones.

Pull the nozzle out about 1/4 of the way when filling. This usually works.

Try a different pump at a different station.

If you went 150 miles it is getting in, but you may find an easier way with a little exploration.

I had a major problem with Shell pumps for some reason. Could never get them to work on my vehicle. Switched to another supplier and have no problems. It's a particular nozzle design problem interacting with the old style fill port.

While on the topic of filling up at a gas station... Does anyone else share my issue of gasoline spewing out when I fill my tank? I can put gas in it and keep fill it up before its full without an issue, but if I let the pump fill the tank until it senses its full, it will click and then gas is spilled all over the side of the car. Do people will classic cars just never fill their tanks at gas stations? Or is there a trick? (Don't say the trick is "know how much gas you're missing" since my gauge doesn't work lol).

While on the topic of filling up at a gas station... Does anyone else share my issue of gasoline spewing out when I fill my tank? I can put gas in it and keep fill it up before its full without an issue, but if I let the pump fill the tank until it senses its full, it will click and then gas is spilled all over the side of the car. Do people will classic cars just never fill their tanks at gas stations? Or is there a trick? (Don't say the trick is "know how much gas you're missing" since my gauge doesn't work lol).

Listen for the "Sound" of full.

-
Back