Cant get it to turn over

-
The ballast resistor has nothing to do with cranking the engine, LOL. I don't know what you did

Well, there are two wires that connect to the resistor. There is a blue one and a brown one. When in the on position, the blue has a constant 12V, but when it turns over, it drops to .5V. The brown wire has 12V when turning over. When the ballast resistor is connected, the two can conduct electricity to each other, providing a constant 12v to ignition coil whether it is in on or turning over. Since the Pertronix III does not require a ballast resistor, we didn't have the blue and brown hooked together. Once we jumped the two together, the coil had 12V turning over, and was able to provide a spark.

most people assume "not turning over" is the engine is not cranking....

not firing is a different story.....

most people assume "not turning over" is the engine is not cranking....

not firing is a different story.....

True.. I started this thread because it wouldn't turn over at all. We ran into another problem when it did crank, but didn't fire. I forgot that this post was initially about it not turning over, whoops! Sorry.

Well, there are two wires that connect to the resistor. There is a blue one and a brown one. When in the on position, the blue has a constant 12V, but when it turns over, it drops to .5V. The brown wire has 12V when turning over. When the ballast resistor is connected, the two can conduct electricity to each other, providing a constant 12v to ignition coil whether it is in on or turning over. Since the Pertronix III does not require a ballast resistor, we didn't have the blue and brown hooked together. Once we jumped the two together, the coil had 12V turning over, and was able to provide a spark.

The condition you described earlier led us down the path that it was not CRANKING

Let's clear up some definitions:

"Cranking" or "turning over." This means the engine rotates on the starter

"Fire" or "tries to start." Means the engine will crank, and coughs, sputters, attempts to start or stay running

"Fires and runs" or "starts and runs" or "runs." Self explanatory.

See, we don't KNOW other than what you SAY on this board. We weren't "there." We can't see, hear, feel, smell.

Earlier, you said this:

The engine has never run in this car. The engine will turn over if we take a wire from the battery and touch it to te wire going to the starter

This IMPLIES that the engine won't crank when twisting the key to "start." Otherwise, why would you jumper it this way?

Not trying to criticize, here. Trying to help you understand that in order to walk you through a problem, details and accuracy are important.

By the way, nice looking engine bay.

The condition you described earlier led us down the path that it was not CRANKING

Let's clear up some definitions:

"Cranking" or "turning over." This means the engine rotates on the starter

"Fire" or "tries to start." Means the engine will crank, and coughs, sputters, attempts to start or stay running

"Fires and runs" or "starts and runs" or "runs." Self explanatory.

See, we don't KNOW other than what you SAY on this board. We weren't "there." We can't see, hear, feel, smell.

Earlier, you said this:

This IMPLIES that the engine won't crank when twisting the key to "start." Otherwise, why would you jumper it this way?

Not trying to criticize, here. Trying to help you understand that in order to walk you through a problem, details and accuracy are important.

By the way, nice looking engine bay.

Yeah, I understand the definitions, but when typing I just used the wrong words. sorry for the confusion.

Earlier, the problem was that it wasn't cranking at all.
After it started cranking, it wouldn't run.
There were two problems discussed in this thread that probably started the confusion.
I should've started a new thread. Sorry for the confusion. :)

-
Back