Can't isolate weird ticking noise

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
So I had been driving around all day with zero issues. On the way back home, started hearing a ticking noise when at idle at a stop light, but whenever I put it in neutral or go on the gas, it basically goes away (you can hear very slightly and its less repetitive). It sounds as if it is coming from around the mufflers (that is where you really hear it from) but it can also be heard through the passenger side valve cover it seems. At first I thought bent pushrod, broken rocker, the like... but I am baffled at why it would stop doing it in neutral and when you push the throttle. Also checked the trans fluid and its perfect color and level. Any ideas?

Check the dust shield/inspection cover on the tranny for the tq bolts hitting.

If that isn't it remove the fan belts and see if the noise goes away.

Could be exhaust leak. Get yourself a scrap of hose and hold one end to your ear, probe around.

If you are careful, you can run engine for a short time when cold or lukewarm with the belt(s) removed. This will quiet things down, make it easier and safer to probe around with a hose.

Maybe your PCV? Mine is pretty noisy at idle.
C

I had something similair that baffled me and a highly egarded mopar mechanic. After checking the rearend thoroughly I learned to live with it for years as no one could find anything wrong. Turned out to be a slightly loose muffler hanger. Could really hear it knock when letting off the gas when next to a concrete road divider....also in N at idle when stopped. Get under there and look for marks/ loose connections. Mine was not very noticeable at all. If you can put it up on a lift and then check closely everything that is back by the mufflers...emergency brake cable/brake lines, etc. Stethoscope with an extension and buddy in the car to shift while on the lift might also help. Good luck!

Well, I let the car sit for about an hour-two, cool down. Isn't making the noise anymore... I'm guessing its more likely to be an exhaust leak at this point? Any other ideas?

I had something similair that baffled me and a highly egarded mopar mechanic. After checking the rearend thoroughly I learned to live with it for years as no one could find anything wrong. Turned out to be a slightly loose muffler hanger. Could really hear it knock when letting off the gas when next to a concrete road divider....also in N at idle when stopped. Get under there and look for marks/ loose connections. Mine was not very noticeable at all. If you can put it up on a lift and then check closely everything that is back by the mufflers...emergency brake cable/brake lines, etc. Stethoscope with an extension and buddy in the car to shift while on the lift might also help. Good luck!

You did hit on something, I do notice it a LOT more when passing cars and going by barriers.

If it's on the pipe or muffler I'd just weld it. If it's on the manifolds, clean the mating surfaces and try a reseal...if that's what it is

Hopefully it's just a exhaust issue. I'd lean toward the heat riser in the manifold like "Ok Collector" brought up? If that's the case, you can just wire it open for now until you get your headers.

With engine running,.. Have a friend plug the tailpipe with a cloth or something similar,, and that may help pinpoint the noise if it is a leak..

thanks for the tip rick and inertia! by the sound its on the passenger side of the car and the heat riser is on the driver. I am quite confident it is an exhaust leak because I can't fathom how a mechanical issue could just stop just because the engine cools. I will be extremely bent out of shape though since the pipes are basically brand new and my boss at united muffler did it

The heat riser is on the passenger side manifold,, just above the outlet, a round disc thingy, maybe with a vacuum pod attached..?

My bad you're right. When I say heat riser, I'm thinking of the attachment on the driver side manifold that attaches to the snorkel.

Well I'm confused. Drove around all day. Ran smooth as silk with zero issues and didn't make the noise once.

Hopefully it's just a exhaust issue. I'd lean toward the heat riser in the manifold like "Ok Collector" brought up? If that's the case, you can just wire it open for now until you get your headers.

Rick nailed it! Heat riser starts shaking after a while of running.

A old trick is to find a old recorder of some type.

Tape the microphone or the recorder if VERY small. (No reel to reel on the side of the car)

a. The inside of the motor compartment. Turn the recorder on.
MAKE A RUN. Play the recording
b. The front fender behind the tire. Turn the recorder on.
MAKE A RUN. Play the recording.
c. Behind the rear fender. Turn the recorder on.
MAKE A RUN. Play the recording.
d. Do over on the other side of your car.

You will be able to locate the area of the sound within a runs.

Enjoy
Michael

-
Back