Cant make this valve train noise go away!

-
I'm wondering about lifter preload on both of these engines,need to have that with hydraulic camshaft.and just for general information the 360 takes a slightly longer pushrod than a 318 or 340.so I'm wondering if the 360 has the 318 pushrods in it and on the 340 I'm wondering if the edelbrock heads are a lil' taller than a stock head thus needing a longer pushrod to get the preload??? also on the 360 check the slop in the timing chain
Dont mean to steal the thread but I have a stock 360 with a rattle like you described at about the same rpm range with good oil psi cold or hot. Mine is also backed by a 4 speed. I think it may be a wrist pin or piston slap but havent checked into it. Hopefully this will help someone diagnois your trouble.

I had small block once that had a bad rattle around 2500 rpm's and I beat my head for several weeks trying to figure it out. Finally found it was one of the header tubes on the passenger side rattling against the block to transmission stabilizer bracket. I noticed when I put it together there wasn't much clearance there but it looked like it wouldn't hit. After several weeks listening to that noise I got under it and noticed the header pipe was rubbed shiny where it had been contacting the bracket so that told me it was a problem. I took the bracket off and ground away about 1/8" and put it back on and it was quiet then. Don't know if that could be your problem but investigate everything cause anything rattling like that can travel and make you think it's somewhere else. Good luck.

I have the next bigger Lunati in my 360 (60404lk) and it has a little lifter tick. Allot of fast rate cams are noisy because they slam open and slam close the valve pretty violent. Much like a solid lifter cam. Maybe that's all your hearing. If you can post a video of it running so we can hear the sound that might help.

I just remembered one I had a few yrs. ago that had some pretty announced lifter noise. The rocker arms (stock stamped arms) were slapping the valve spring retainers at full lift. Have you looked at that.

Hey thats interesting i've run 3 different voodoo cams in my 416 and 360 all had a slight lifter tick...but performance is great..hmmm interesting..

. Finally found it was one of the header tubes on the passenger side rattling against the block to transmission stabilizer bracket.

This made me think.. I have TTI headers, the drivers side #7 header requires you to use a slip joint in order to get it around the torsion bar... I wonder if that's leaking.

Also, the Z-bar system was never a perfect fit, that alone may be hitting something.

See, arent you guys glad we talked? Now I have more ideas to try!

Thanks!

Take a piece of rubber hose and put one end to your ear and use the other end to move around all exhaust ports. You may have a slight header leak. I did on a brand new set of TTI's with their gaskets on a new engine. I put in Remflex gaskets and it went away.

Also, check the noise with a timing light attached. See if it goes with the timing light. If it is in time with the timing light, it is in the valvetrain.

I'm dealing with a very similar problem on my 360. I've replaced the lifters and some of the pushrod (3 were bent, from a different motor I think), didn't change the noise an ounce.

I've decided to pull the pan and see if the windage tray is hitting a rod (or two). I've had that happen on a Diplomat before, but I thought it was a rod at the time, and this time it sounds like valvetrain noise. It's a long shot but I don't know where else to look.

The heads and valvetrain were on a running motor before and ran quiet, the cam is the original one to the motor from the last rebuild and it was fine before I sold the car. The only thing left that I did to the motor before putting it back in the car was the windage tray and oil pan. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but I see no place else to look.

Just a thought.

You all have brought up interesting points. On my 360 it is a junkyard pull I bought for 200 dollars and when I changed the intake, oil pan, and valve covers it appears that I was the first to open it up since 1974. Mine only makes the rattle/knock at cruising speed on the freeway with light throttle. Whats funny is it makes the same sound in the driveway when brought to that rpm range in neural wheather warm or cold engine. Mine sounds alot like a rod knock but carries good oil psi. I did notice some wear on the lobes when I changed the intake and the miles are unknown.

You could also do a thread search from 340Fastback.He had some noise issues also..Eddy heads,340.I can,t remember what it was,but he found the problem.Maybe someone else will remember and chime in?Good Luck!Sorry,it was Fastback340 that had the issues,I,m sure he,s found his problem!

I read that thread a while back. I believe it was the pushrods tapping on the pushrod holes. The eddys don't have very big holes to begin with and if you change anything to effect the pushrod angle it makes it worse. I was sure to check my twice during assembly because of that thread.

Now my 340 had a slight tick to it for years. I went nuts at first re-adjusting the rockers to get rid of it. I finally figure it is going to be like that. Never gave me problem.

You do realize that this has been dormant for close to 4 years?

Ok, so I have a 1967 coded 340 block, It has the following in it:

Eagle H Beam rods
TRW 340 replacement pistons
Lunati 60403 cam and lifters (a package/kit from summit racing)
Edelbrock 340 Heads
Summit 5/16th pushrods 7.5" long (Measured and fit with length checker)
Stock stamped steel rockers
Edelbrock Airgap RPM Intake
TTI Headers
TTI Exhaust

For the life of me I can't get the valvetrain noise to go away.

Here's what I've tried, and I'm hoping for more suggestions.

I have:
-Replaced lifters, 4 times, 4 different lifters and 2 different cams total. Including Engle and Lunati.

-Swapped pushrods, and rocker arms. I've used stamped steel most recently, and prior the 273 adjustable rockers. Measured pushrod length properly both times and even custom ordered pushrods.

-Checked for exhaust leaks on the headers, and collector flanges. NO Leaks what so ever, checked while running for exhaust coming out, as well as 3 sets of gaskets on both collector flanges and the header flanges on the heads.

-Completely rebuilt motor from scratch, this includes machine work most recently, replaced nearly all parts inside. This means tear down, clean, machine, clean, rebuild, check specs on everything, clearances, etc.

-And lastly as a desperate attempt, I have torn off the intake, heads, and elongated the pushrod holes to make room for any weird pushrod angles hitting the Edelbrock heads as I've read happens. I found a sticking lifter, took it out, cleaned it, it worked perfectly afterwards.

Also changed my oil every time I did anything. I use 30wt VR1 racing oil, and a Napa Gold filter (aka Wix).

The noise still remains, as loud as ever.

I am going insane! I need help before I pull the motor and tranny out and sell both just to put in modern parts.
Did you take a stethoscope and pinpoint the noise?

Wrist pin and piston slap is entirely diff noise than lifters. Buy a stethoscope, and let it lead you to the noise. You take the needle adapter off, leaving a funnel (bell) which you point in noises general direction, and just follow the noise to source. Put needle assembly back on to actually hear bearings roll in ie. Pumps alts etc. Best $15 - 20 you'll ever spend.. cheers.

X's - Fishy.

I have a tick in my fastback... Have tried 2 different voodoo cams and still there. Comes and goes.... Gets louder then quieter.... Only notice it at idle... embarresing... Brand new motor.
I am rebuilding a magnum 5.9 so I can go roller. Im done with flat tappets!

I have a tick in my fastback... Have tried 2 different voodoo cams and still there. Comes and goes.... Gets louder then quieter.... Only notice it at idle... embarresing... Brand new motor.
I am rebuilding a magnum 5.9 so I can go roller. Im done with flat tappets!
Go solid flat tappet and it sounds like a sewing machine purring. Lots cheaper than a roller and make comparable power. Got one in my 408 and I love it

My Voodoo makes noise also. Only hear it when over 2000 rpm

I just built a 360 stroker and have the same issue. I have adjustable rockers and have adusted them at least 20 times with different preload. It sounded great on tbe dyno but one i put it in the car i for the life of me cant figure it out

-
Back