Can't read cursive ???????

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
I drive a food delivery truck for a living and today I was making a delivery,The person that normally checks in the product was training a new guy(about 18-22).He tells the new guy tha he needs to check the product off of their handwritten list and the guy says...................I can't,I can't read cursive ......I said WHAT and he said it again.....I couldn't believe my ears.What the hell is this world comming to?????????????????????.............................Jeff:wack:

I'll file this under: who cares.

Cursive is a dead form of writing. No one uses it because everyone's cursive is slightly different and it leads to more mistakes/miscommunications.

It's true. School systems down here have been thinking of not teaching it anymore. I'll challenge you even further. Find a student who knows shorthand. Find a junior high student who can read an analog clock within a couple of seconds.

I'll probably regret saying anything at all here, but the idea that people that don't know/can't write cursive are somehow less intelligent is completely false.

Most kids simply aren't taught it anymore, there's quite a few school systems that don't have it as a significant part of the curriculum. And I can't say I blame them, if you have a limited amount of time and dollars its a lot more useful to teach typing and computer skills than it is cursive handwriting.

Heck, I was taught cursive. From kindergarten all the way up. My 6th grade teacher stopped grading me on my handwriting because it was the only subject I didn't have an "A" in. Didn't matter how much I practiced it, my cursive was always hideous.

But as far as school goes, early in high school was the last time I was asked to write anything out by hand. Pretty much everything needed to be typed after that anyway. And I went to doing everything on the computer because it was light-years faster than trying to write anything legibly in cursive. My crappy cursive handwriting didn't stop me from graduating with honors, earning college scholarships, graduating with a bachelor's in Aerospace engineering, or earning the two associates degrees I've pursued since. In fact, I don't recall that there was a single written assignment in all of those 240+ college units that required the use of cursive handwriting.

I'm actually required to use block letters on all of my written documents at work, although the last of our remaining handwritten documents will soon be digital as well.

I was curious (I strive to be a "rational thinker" too) so I googled "advantages of cursive" and found many links. I was taught cursive by my Mom at an early age. Turns out there are many advantages, such as brain development. Also it gives a child the important lesson of mastering something.

Personally I find it faster and easier and my thoughts flow much better writing in cursive.

[ame]http://www.peterson-handwriting.com/Publications/PDF_versions/AdvantageCursiveRef.pdf[/ame]

It's true. School systems down here have been thinking of not teaching it anymore. I'll challenge you even further. Find a student who knows shorthand. Find a junior high student who can read an analog clock within a couple of seconds.

I can do both of them:finga:

It's a real shame that those who enjoy the comfortable lifestyle a great generation built for us, sneer at so many things.

My young nieces and nephews will be getting lessons in cursive from uncle David during our family reunion next week. Thanks for this thread.

I was curious (I strive to be a "rational thinker" too) so I googled "advantages of cursive" and found many links. I was taught cursive by my Mom at an early age. Turns out there are many advantages, such as brain development. Also it gives a child the important lesson of mastering something.

Personally I find it faster and easier and my thoughts flow much better writing in cursive.

http://www.peterson-handwriting.com/Publications/PDF_versions/AdvantageCursiveRef.pdf

So are many things, why choose the one that is useless??

Cursive's most important place today.... Signing your name on official documents.
Printing makes it much easier to forge your name.

So that makes it worth teaching kids cursive writing vs. teaching them the important of a signature??

Not to mention, future technology will make this obsolete. Biometrics is getting cheaper and cheaper.

It's a real shame that those who enjoy the comfortable lifestyle a great generation built for us, sneer at so many things.

My young nieces and nephews will be getting lessons in cursive from uncle David during our family reunion next week. Thanks for this thread.

Who's sneering at anything?? Cursive is a dead/dying form of writing. That's just a matter of fact.

So are many things, why choose the one that is useless??

You must not have read the link I provided, it explained the many benefits. Numerous scientific studies have shown even more benefits, they are very interesting and surprising. If you are an expert who can refute all the research, then I apologize.

Who's sneering at anything?? Cursive is a dead/dying form of writing. That's just a matter of fact.

Cursive may be dead/dying right now but just maybe it shouldn't be. Honestly, it seems like you are really just trolling.

This is the first post in this thread where you have made sense.

It seems as though you can't subject yourself to other peoples opinions without be smart, changing the subject and just force YOUR opinion on everyone. No one but you has a right to their own thought process.

It seems to me that the human mind is quite capable of learning a broad spectrum of thoughts, lessons, history and, well, cursive.

It may be useless to you, but to others it may still be an important part of their lives.

Just suppose for a second every system of electronic communication no longer existed.

Your time will come when your in your 60's, 70's and you have become accustomed to a way of life and someone like yourself will come along and rip it all out from underneath you. It is then you will understand.

You must not have read the link I provided, it explained the many benefits. Numerous scientific studies have shown even more benefits, they are very interesting and surprising. If you are an expert who can refute all the research, then I apologize.

The point is, there are many things you can teach a kid at an early age that lead have cognitive benefits, why choose the one that is useless??

Useless to you does not mean useless to everyone.

-
Back