Can't read cursive ???????

-
I sign a big "X". don't need NO darned cursive , longhand scipt signature

Once someone figures that out, it just makes it easier to forge your signature and steal your identity. A problem now days....

I don't see how cursive is useless when you might need it in college. When I was in my masters degree program I had a real strict teacher and she wanted our pre-production papers hand written in cursive. There was one boy in the class who did not know cursive so the teacher gave him a book on cursive and told him to go learn it practice it over the weekends.

The teacher would dock 5 points for every word she could not read or any general error and the pre-production papers were worth 40 points each so if you got even a few errors, that was going to hurt.

I knew cursive since I was younger and I don't see how its hard to learn. Its not like you are learning a new Alphabet its the same letters just rounded out a bit.

I did not put anyone down, use foul language (not even blanked out), did not refer to politics yet all my posts were moved to a forum I can not go to or deleted. There are a lot more offensive posts that are not modified/removed. Why?

I did not put anyone down, use foul language (not even blanked out), did not refer to politics yet all my posts were moved to a forum I can not go to or deleted. There are a lot more offensive posts that are not modified/removed. Why?

I can't speak for the Mod that trimmed it and moved it, but I believe they were relevant to the "discussion" that was being waged, so to keep it in context they went with.

On that note, you are welcome to come over to the shark tank and voice your opinion there.

The thing that gets me about lack of education in cursive and the attitude that 'all work will be done on computer' taken by educators is that when work is done in the field, it is usually the case that it's impossilbe to use a computer. I run a small business and work at pulling cable, running manlifts, and installing stuff regularly, and see guys all the time in the field not being able to write up notes that they or any one can read or work out a simple addition problem. That's all because they never learned to do it by hand with pencil and paper in school.

IMO, the educators in general are blind to what many people really need because they all work in schools where things are clean and there is electricity and light and A/C all the time. They TRULY don't have a clue what goes on at a job site and what the real needs are for education for those types of jobs. The cursive writing thing falls in to that category, IMO.

The thing that gets me about lack of education in cursive and the attitude that 'all work will be done on computer' taken by educators is that when work is done in the field, it is usually the case that it's impossilbe to use a computer. I run a small business and work at pulling cable, running manlifts, and installing stuff regularly, and see guys all the time in the field not being able to write up notes that they or any one can read or work out a simple addition problem. That's all because they never learned to do it by hand with pencil and paper in school.

IMO, the educators in general are blind to what many people really need because they all work in schools where things are clean and there is electricity and light and A/C all the time. They TRULY don't have a clue what goes on at a job site and what the real needs are for education for those types of jobs. The cursive writing thing falls in to that category, IMO.

Been there, done that. Working as an auto technician my whole career, RO's are given in packets. In order to write up your notes you have the back of the RO to write on. The service writer has to be able to read those notes (especially for warranty purposes) and put 'em into the computer system for the warranty claim, or just to be able to get the previous repair notes in the system on customer pay jobs.

Working my last job, building trains, we'd run into things that were wrong or needed to be changed on the blueprints. The engineers didn't always have time to pull the blueprint up to change and get the changes approved in an "official" manner. Being in prototype we got a lot of redline blueprints, where the engineer made changes in red ink, with new dimensions, new drawings, all hand written. Only after those changes were made "official" did we get the new blueprint on assembly. I had a stack of redlines in my toolbox that was two inches thick.

The idea that handwriting has to be abandoned in favor of technology is laughable at best and not in touch with the real world and in real world jobs.

Hell, a lot of us use it in our everyday lives beyond the job. How many make a list for grocery shopping? A piece of paper doesn't break and a pen only runs out of ink.

My honey-do lists are always written. All my finances - budgeting, book balancing, money tracking is done by hand. I don't trust important things on the computer as they are easily lost/hacked/stolen/broken.

I'm writing a couple of books, but the ideas only flow when I have a writing tablet and a pen in my hand. I sit in front of the keyboard and the ideas stop coming. Bless Karli in that she can read my handwriting to transpose everything to the computer so I can edit.

When I was in my masters degree program I had a real strict teacher and she wanted our pre-production papers hand written in cursive. There was one boy in the class who did not know cursive so the teacher gave him a book on cursive and told him to go learn it practice it over the weekends.

I knew cursive since I was younger and I don't see how its hard to learn.

Here's a young FABO member who learned a whole new alphabet. Learning cursive is really no big deal. If our schools aren't teaching it, we can take it upon ourselves to have our kids learn it at home. Not that hard.

I remember when I was in 2nd grade and learning cursive that I was continually hounded because I was told that I made my small x's backwards.
Two years ago took my 10 nephew to s state park and each station had a sheet for the kids to fill out with questions that the answers could be found at that station. One of the stops was an old cabin(Badger Clark's cabin). One question was what time the clock in the kitchen said(analog clock). My nephew answered 10:35, the guide said he was right, although they usually just accept 10:30 as being close enough. His being able to read the clock surprised me as his mother can't read an analog clock.

-
Back