Can't unlock truck

-

OldJoe54

Reaction score
Have a '75 Duster. I believe I damaged my trunk lock. I closed my trunk and now I can't open it up again. The key will go in and out of the tumble ok, the key turns fully with no binding, it just won't unlatch and release the lid. This is a Space Duster version, but the back panel is up and latched so I haven't been able to get in the trunk that way. Any ideas?

If worst comes to worst, pull the rear seat, tape some extensions together, and reach back there and unbolt the latch. I'm 75, and in my life, have done so about 3 or 4 times. One was when junking a car, and did not have the trunk key.

1693509006474.png

I drilled a 1" hole just below the latch pull.

1693509260993.png

I hammered a length of rod end into a thin flat and bent a 90° on the other end.

1693509447557.png

With a flashlight, my emergency key, and my good eye, I was able to force the tip into the slot after several tries and turn it enough to unlatch.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone know what a Space Duster is?
Replacement parts are available if you have to drill the lock.
Maybe someone can come up with a better idea.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone who replied. Looks like I'm going to order a new trunk lock and drill out the old one.

I had this happen while on vacation with my car. My luggage and beer were in the trunk. I removed the rear seat and convinced my son to go in there with a screw driver and open it up. He was much smaller then though.

Cley

-
Back