Cap and Wires

-

Orionsax7

Reaction score
I decided to replace my distributor cap and rotor. The new cap had a "1" for the number one wire. When I went to take the wires off the old distributor I noticed that the old cap had it too but that's not where the wire was. The Number 1 wire was in the number 8 spot, 8 was in the 4 spot, and so on clockwise around the cap. Not having enough time to dispute it(i was leaving for work), I just put the wires on the same way on the new cap. What's the deal?

-Alex

The #1 wire can be any place on the cap as long as the rest are in the correct order and the rotor is pointing to #1 at TDC on number one.

If you pull the distributor out it can go back in the same or 180 degrees out. If the oil pump drive shaft was pulled it can go back in most any position.

When I have an engine apart I don't worry much about how the distributor was orientated and where #1 is in the manual when I put it back together. Where ever the rotor ends up pointing is were I start putting the wires on.

I know that when I installed My MSD I marked and pointed the rotor to #1.

When I installed the MSD I pointed the rotor to #1 and it wouldn't go in.
I moved the rotor one space clockwise and everything slid in.

Motor runs great! Thought it might of been the curve in the distributor.

LOl...simple thing really. The same cap is used on big and small blocks. one #1 is for each..The cap is indexed to the dist body, and the BB has the index tab in the opposite spot from small block. I use a permanent black marker to mark the true #1 once it's installed, but before the wires go on..

-
Back