CAP Suspension Components.

-

Rob Eppler

My Dart Charger...home made!
Reaction score
I have been reading many posts on this and other web sites about CAP suspension components. I have used CAP suspension products for the past three years. [dynamic strut rods, upper control arms, lower control arms and now the tubular K member] Every time I launch my DART it goes upward about two to two and a half feet, then lands nicely. My point is, after 3 years of running my DART I have had no suspension problems at all! Being a High School automotive instructor I have seen many suspension components go bad from wear. I have my car on the hoist at this time installing a new "K rack assembly" so what better time than now to evaluate the entire suspension system. The upper ball joints, lower ball joints, the rod ends the strut rods and last but not least the WELDS...all components, bar none are not "hurt" in any way shape or form. So some of you who like to beat up on "CAP" maybe you should do more research, and check out others with out putting words in their mouth! The system works and works with out fail! It is adjustable and tough! Now that said, if you think all parts fit with a drop in, I ask you; why are intake manifolds milled to fit??? Why are pistons fly cut for valve clearance? Why are crankshafts drilled and mallory metal added. Point is everything, yes everything needs some work. While you think a crankshaft bolts into your engine and bearing clearance is at .002 to .003 think again! If your afraid of work, stay with the factory fit stuff! It works, but is it what you really want or do you have the ability to massage parts to fit...This is the real question! Nothing and I mean nothing fits with out some work! Do you know where "hot rodding" came from???

Rob Eppler
Automotive Instructor
Monroe Michigan!

It is nice to hear that you are not experiencing any problems with the CAP system. However, as one considering an upgraded front end, I was under the assumption that their products were drop in. What type of "work" was required to make them work? Also, are you just installing their k-member now? If not, then how has it held up.

Thanks,
Grant

Nothing and I mean nothing fits with out some work! Do you know where "hot rodding" came from???

my alter-k bolted right in without any "modifications" so that's bullshit.

Run that cap crap all ya want. It's your life. That stuff will never see any of my cars.

Hi Rob ,I bought the cap tubular upper control arms.Went to install them and realized they were narrower than the stock ones where the ecentric bolts go thru.I figure ok no big deal,i must have forgot to order another part. I call CAP i explain to the guy how they are narrower than the stock units and he says ok i will check into it and call you back.3or4 more days of phone tag blah blah blah,and i finally get the owner on the phone.He says oh yah we used to make a cone shaped washer that took up the slack so the control arms were held in place and could'nt move from side to side.Then he says we dont make those washers anymore because we have so many versions and models it would be to hard to keep up with all the different ones.He says just use some grade 8 washers to take up the slack and that will be good enough.So i use some grade 8 washers ,what a joke that was.End game those things came out of the car and would have went straight into the dumpster except my buddy wanted them to see if he could make some kind of washer cone that would work.My experiance with CAP tubular control arms was that they are garbage and i am not suprised at all that people have had problems with them.Next time i will spend the extra money to buy one of the good brands out there.

my alter-k bolted right in without any "modifications" so that's bullshit.

Run that cap crap all ya want. It's your life. That stuff will never see any of my cars.
hey Abodyjoe, how do you really feel about this???:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

I don,t mean this to be smart,But I compared cap stuff against other front ends at carlisle.CAP was crap.I asked them about the welds on there demo models and they said thats just to show you what they do.Well if the welds were crappy in the demo I defiantly don,t want there stuff.Ether you are a dealer for them or you just got lucky.GOOD LUCK WITH THEM.My vote is your a dealer for them. Mark PS My alter k droped right in.

hey Abodyjoe, how do you really feel about this???:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Just didn't appeciat his little speach. Talking to us like a bunch of two year olds. The info is out on the net. There have been quite a few people ***** about the bad fit and poor quality of the cap stuff. If he hasn't had any problems I'm glad about that because I don't want to see anyone get hurt. But to come here and try to preach to us is insulting. The info and pics are out there. It's enough for me not to trust it. And I sure as he'll hope no one in my area that drives the same roads as me and my family are using that stuff .

I just wish that somebody else would pick up the torch and run with it. Build the dang thing properly. I like the idea of a tubular K-member, rack steering and keeping the torsion bars. But then I'm a freak.

Wylde1.

What a joke...I 've seen and heard sooo many bad things about Cap...What junk...I'll never use it...

I just wish that somebody else would pick up the torch and run with it. I like the idea of a tubular K-member, rack steering and keeping the torsion bars. But then I'm a freak.

Wylde1.
RMS will make you a tube front end with torsion bars.You should give bill a call. Mark

Of all the comments out there, most I see are negative. I do believe that there are SOME god ones out there, but the bad far outway the good according to many threads about their products. What about the RR that had a conversation with a wall where the CAP a arms broke....NOT AT THE WELDS?

Hmmmmmm.........I do agree about the level of tact in the first post being a a little short......

K member bolted right in as did all the other components, the only work was to get the spacers in when you install the cam bolts...you need and extra finger or two.

is that all you can say??? nothing bolts right in.... what happened the alignment was right when you tighten all the bolts...now thats bull! Oh maybe you did not do the work! I forgot you had another mechanic do all the work!

is that all you can say??? nothing bolts right in.... what happened the alignment was right when you tighten all the bolts...now thats bull! Oh maybe you did not do the work! I forgot you had another mechanic do all the work!

Who and what the hell are you talking about?

Ofcouse it needed to be aligned. Only a Jack *** would think you could put an entire front suspension in an not have to align it. I sure don't consider that "work" to install.

My alignment? Was cake. When I installed the system I put the rod ends where bill recommended. When the car went on the rack we checked the ride height then a little turn of the cams and a little turn of the tie rods it fell right to where it needed to be. Took longer to set the alignment machine up then it took to get the alignment where we wanted it.

Washers to space the control arms. That is half assed if I ever saw it. My arms have machined spacers that put the arms in the proper location.

If you're referring to Abodyjoe, he did his in his garage, it's on his website....I personally have installed Firm feel, Magnum Force, and Just suspension a arms and they went in pretty easy....did a few sets of each. Just a deadblow to get them into the slots for the UCA's.

Hay joe don,t fuss with him like he said he is a teacher.This is a first a machanic/teacher not a technician in todays world.

He builds an alter-k with torsion bars but not stock bars.

Crap. That's too bad.

Hmmmmmm... my uncle is a retired welder. I wonder.......
Ok who has that fubar'd CAP k-member. Wanna rent it out so I can copy it? errr... I mean re-design/improve it. Ya.. that's the ticket.

Wylde1.

Hey Eppler. Congrats....you are the first to have good luck with Cap Crap. I have pictures of two broken and warped kframes. Almost died from one. Kind of fishy you live near the owner of Cap. Hmmm. Ray are you out there??? I want my $2k back.
I can send anyone the names and numbers of 2 alignment shops and 1 master fabricator that will confirm the product is dangerous.
Get the alterkation and be safe.

-
Back