Captainkirk's Duster project

-
What you talkin' about Willis? It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings!
(And she is stuffing her face at the moment)
Every time I try to finish this thing, more just comes bubbling forth. Besides, we have part II to contend with.....

Or, let's just say it's finished when I roll the credits.......OK? :thumbsup:

P.S.- "The End" referred to The Duke, not the story!

Last edited:
Keep it comin Cap'n. Great story,full of thrill and suspence. I'll be looking for the next chapter, (and "part ll") :thumbup:

Kirk! I have read some real stinker books in the past. How they ever got published, who knows, but dude, you have writing talent. I takes a special brain to put paragraphs together like that. No, joke, you should seriously think about submiting this story to a publisher. I would buy it.

BTW, since you are an AMT, you ever deal with Aviall? I work for them and Chicago and Pontiac are my field offices.

I deal with Aviall all the time!
Glad you enjoy my ramblings. Hope you enjoy reading them as much as I do writing them!
As for submitting this stuff...I don't know. Publishers can be brutal. And I'm not inventing this stuff....it's as it happened. So I need to keep creating real-life adventures in order to feed the fire. (No problem there!) In the meantime, I'll just keep trying to keep you all entertained. :)

Well, then, next chapter PLEASE! By the way, you owe my company about 2 days of non-productivity. :)

flyboy01 said:
Well, then, next chapter PLEASE! By the way, you owe my company about 2 days of non-productivity. :)
...and what, your company might ask, were you doing cruisin' the FABO website at work, hmmmmmmmmm?
I am not responsible for lost productivity, influencing adults to behave like children, or ignoring your spouse to work on your iron mistress. Sorry! :lol:

Last edited:
Captainkirk said:
...and what, your company might ask, were you doing cruisin' the FABO website at work, hmmmmmmmmm?
I am not responsible for lost productivity, influencing adults to behave like children, or ignoring your spouse to work on your iron mistress. Sorry! :toothy7:

I cannot confirm or deny that statement. :thumbup:

Chapter 21

“Awakenings”

Question: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Answer: Who the hell cares, as long as we get breakfast and dinner out of the deal!

So, which came first, the motorcycle or the screw?
Actually, it was the motorcycle.
My younger brother had gotten the motorcycle bug from me at a very young age, as had I, but never conquered it. I don'’t believe he ever DIDN'’T own a motorcycle from the time he got his driver’s license. He started out with a Honda MiniTrail 50 (remember those?) and ended up owning Captain Dave’'s Turtle Chaser Honda XL125. He then bought a year-old Yamaha Seca 550 while doing a stint as a motorcycle mechanic for a local dealer. He proceeded to flog this poor steed mercilessly for nearly 40,000 miles and across three states (he made numerous trips from Mudville to Fargo and back, while attending school there!) until 1998, when he decided to get a little newer bike with a little more, ummm, get up and go, shall we say?
He did. He bought a year-old, 1997 Buell M2 Cyclone.
For those of you not acquainted with the M2, it’s basically…...how can I describe this?…...a motor with a seat attached. Scratch that; a BIG motor with a seat attached! 1200 cc’s of Harley-Davidson V-Twin Sportster motor, massaged and tweaked by Buell to pump out 70-something HP and 70-something foot-pounds of torque. By my own definition, it's a two-wheeled Hemi ‘Cuda.
Naturally, after riding something like that, the Yamaha goes to the back of the garage and begins to collect dust. And become a homeless shelter for down-on-their-luck mice. That is, until Big Brother works a deal with Little Brother.
And so it came to be, early in the spring of ’99 that I found myself busting knuckles away from work voluntarily. For years, the thought of wrenching out in the garage after wrenching on aircraft all day just didn'’t trip my trigger. It’s like eating too much pizza. I mean, how much pizza can you ram down your craw before you say, “Enough!” It doesn'’t mean, I found out, that you no longer like pizza. You just save some for later! First I did the carbs. Complete strip and clean, with new carb kits. (and you thought Holley parts were expensive!). Homeless mice had been at the air filter, leaving little bits of fuzzy paper mixed with mousie turds, topped off with the pungent aroma of Eau d’' mousie; …liquid form, of course. The battery was, of course (of course!) junk. So, a couple weeks, a couple hundred bucks and, ……Houston, we have ignition!
Now, if you'’re wondering why this guy is prattling on about bikes in a car story, I'’ll come right out and tell ya. It’s about the speed, brother! The need for speed! I re-discovered it that summer, not in the heavy thunder of Mopar Muscle, but rather, in the screeching banshee wail of four Mikunis stuffing atomized fuel and air through a Gemini four-into-one exhaust with a four-cylinder motor sandwiched like aluminum-flavored Oreo filling in between. Never mind it wasn'’t that fast compared to so-called “modern” bikes…..it was a 14-second missile of fossil-fuel rebirth, and the feelings that I long feared dead and buried burst into flames like a peat bog fire long believed to be extinguished…. NOT!
I attacked this new curiosity with relish …and Flitz. When I brought the bike home, it was rather, shall we say, neglected? Corrosion and dirt covered the wheels and frame. Aluminum surfaces were dull and lusterless. (Little Brother was a rider, not a cleaner.) Nothing a good bath and a can of Flitz couldn'’t handle, though. I remember the first time when my brother came over to go riding after I’d cleaned it up. I wheeled it out into the sunshine, polished aluminum and paint glinting in the bright sun, and said, "“Well, whaddya think?”" After a long pause, he mumbled "…”I think I sold it to ya too cheap."” Now, that, folks, is a COMPLIMENT!
We did a lot of rides that summer. A lot of rides. And all the time, there was this rumbling in my soul…..this whispering in my ear; incomprehensible babble that I couldn'’t understand or comprehend, but urgent, nonetheless. It was like the gunfighter who, horrified and haunted by his past, changed his name and identity, moved far, far away and became a farmer, swearing to himself to put it all behind him and start a new life. And then one day, by chance, he comes across a gun. Quite by accident, you understand. He picks it up; his fingers unconsciously caress the cold steel, and it feels good; natural in his hand. And then, as if by magic, it comes to life in his sweaty palms; wheeling and darting back and forth, like a snake, dancing; his thumb unconsciously cocks back the hammer and naturally as a newborn baby drawing a breath, he points it at a tree, or a leaf; the gun barks and thunders and bucks in his palm and the object of it’s deadly destruction lies blown to bits and mutilated, drilled dead center, without intention, without will, without malice, without thinking……. Naturally. As if meant to be. And his trembling hand recoils and drops the gun in revulsion and horror, unable to fathom the idea that this cold slab of wood and steel becomes a living, breathing thing in his grip …and his alone. It is a part of him that cannot be denied, no matter how hard he tries. Oh, Lord, how he tries!
You could say it was like that. Yeah, you could.

***​

I knew I was in trouble the first time I whacked that throttle open hard against the stops and heard the wailin'’ of the banshee trumpeting out through that Gemini four-into-one. Just like that gunfighter-turned-farmer, I knew. Thought I could put it all behind me; forget it with the help of time, live a quiet, sedentary life without the need for speed. Not hardly.
And then came The Big Turn. It started out as a simple ride. Me and my brother; he on his Buell, and me on the Seca, with my 14 year old son on the back. It was innocent enough; a simple, easy country-road ride. My brother was a good riding partner; he led the way but never pushed, never forcing me to overextend my abilities; his were far beyond mine at that point. That particular day he’d flagged me on ahead to the lead position. I had no idea where we were going; I just followed the road. Then, out of nowhere, he swung out around me, that Vee-Twin thundering out it’s hemi-reminiscent song, pulled in front of me, signaling a right turn with upswept left arm and gloved hand, leaned the Buell deep into a side road right apex, and simply……. vanished!
I barely made the turn.
It was if he had been abducted by aliens; gone, vanished, went Bermuda Triangle on me.
I found him waiting patiently at a stop sign, several miles down the road, taillight winking a friendly “hello!”
“I WANT ONE OF THOSE!” my mind shrieked.
I'’ll see what I can do, said the gunfighter….

***​
The gunfighter was true to his word. Early in '‘02, I rolled my own M2 off the trailer; a ’99 with less than 7000 miles on it. The ‘99's boasted 91 HP and 89 ft/lbs of torque…..all right where you need it; down low. It came with the Buell Thunderstorm heads and pistons (a true hemi-head design) and a lightened crank. There was no wanting for torque on this monster. But the real difference was in the handling; if the Seca was an athlete, then the Buell was an Olympic ballerina on steroids. “"Flickable"” is the word Buell used. Un-freakin’-believeable is the word I used. Nimble and graceful are some other words that come to mind. Just a nudge on the bar ends and it was leaning peg-deep deep into the turns; whack on the throttle on the exit and it would stand right back up like one of those Weebles and lunge out of the corners like a tiger springing on a gazelle! This was one scary-fast machine. It sounded mean as well, the vee-twin giving off a low, guttural growl. At idle, the whole bike would shake, much like a drag car in the pits, rumbling out it’s baritone hemi-thunder.
True to form, I immediately made a wish-list. My brother’s bike was far from stock; he'’d upgraded the cams, carb, intake and exhaust, with an oil cooler to boot. He’'d also replaced the pistons with Wiseco 10:1s and installed the Thunderstorm heads. This all made for a pretty potent package.
Not to be outdone, I began searching eBay for my own entourage of performance goodies. I ended up finding everything I wanted by patiently waiting, watching, and buying the parts I was looking for. I ended up with all the components used in the Buell race kit including race header and muffler, carbon fiber K&N air filter kit, and race ignition unit…...for less than half the retail price. To this I added a Mikuni flat slide HSR carb and Andrews N8 cams. In the fall of ’'04 I put it up on the lift and, with some trepidation, dug in.
I say with some trepidation, because frankly, the bike was running like a dream. It started and ran well, idled lumpy, but evenly (like any good Harley), had great throttle response, and leaked no oil. Well, I had a small rockerbox leak, but nothing serious. But what I was doing was pretty major surgery for a low-mileage, great-running bike. Honestly, I just couldn'’t help myself. I had to do it. And so, I rolled up my sleeves and dug in.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the Seca taken last summer

(2) Little Brother's Buell

(3) My Buell...Pre-metamorphosis

Seca.jpg

Brian's Buell.jpg

My Buell.jpg

Chapter 22

“Distant Light”

“I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve….”
Admiral Yamamoto, on hearing the news of the attack on Pearl Harbor

Like the first rays of sunlight venturing bravely forth at the end of the cold, dark night, I began to see something, hear something, feel something. I had that bike spread all over the garage in a heartbeat, going where I didn'’t think I had the guts to go; deep into the cam case. First off came the airbox, followed by the exhaust, fuel tank, bodywork, then I dove headlong into the engine. Like Marie Antoinette; off with it’s carb! Rockerbox covers, push rods, ignition box and pickups, then on to the cam cover, boys! Soon all four cams and lifters lay in my oily palms. I stood back and surveyed the carnage.
Was I clinically insane? I had just taken the stuff dreams are made of, financed to the hilt, and scattered the remains all over my garage like a raccoon in a dumpster on Saturday night!
Oh well. No turning back now.
Once I’'d leapt this mental hurdle, I found my pace and settled in. I bled down the lifters and began scraping gaskets and cleaning parts. Soon the new cams lay nestled in their spots, timed, clearances checked, and slathered in white lithium grease like vanilla frosting on some weird aluminum birthday cake. New gaskets and seals all around-…nothing second best here. Was the cam timing right? I checked and re-checked it; yup, right on. I cautiously reassembled the cam case.
The ignition unit was a snap; a simple Deutsch plug connection and a couple of screws. That was easy. The carb took a little bit of engineering to finagle the enrichener, fuel lines, bowl drain line and VOES switch. Common sense prevailed here. The throttle cable Ty Wraps had to be cut and the cable re-routed to the other side of the frame as the entry angle was different. The air filter kit also took some engineering to get the PCV vent lines set up properly. Finally, the exhaust. The race kit instructions were pretty explicit and all the hardware was actually there. I reassembled the rocker boxes and she lay complete, and ready for the tank and bodywork.
I don'’t mind telling you I was just a wee bit nervous. If I roached this thing, I would be kicking my own *** for weeks to come. I lowered the lift down to floor level and turned on the fuel petcock. No leaks; a good sign.
I opened the garage door about halfway and grabbed a fire bottle. Drawing a deep breath, I cracked the throttle and immediately smelled gas. Good…..accelerator pump working…...switched the key to “on”, gritted my teeth, squinched my eyes, and tapped the starter button…. click-thunk-hmmmmmm! I released it. What the…..?
Cam timing off? Valve train assembled wrong? Naw, couldn'’t be. I know my own work better than that.
I tapped it again……..click-thunk-hmmmm………RAR…RARR…..RARRR….
The motor exploded into life …three times as loud as it had been before… and three times as lumpy on the idle. It sounded BITCHIN’!!! The whole garage shook as it filled with thunder and lightning and I stood there reveling in the sensation. I could smell the new gaskets burning in and the pungent ripe exhaust smell, feel the shaking vibes running through my right hand as it curled around the throttle and feel the exhaust pulses assaulting my eardrums. I sucked it all in, relishing the victory. And somewhere far off, deep within the bowels of a dark, dank cave, a sleeping dragon'’s eyes flickered open and he raised his head, shaking off two decades of deep, restless slumber.

***​

Some people take days or even weeks thinking up clever names for their pet machine. It wasn'’t hard to hang a name on the li'’l red minx or The Duke; their personality traits were readily apparent after a short time. In the case of the Buell, however, post- metamorphosis, it strolled right up and introduced itself to me; “Hello, Captain, I’'m Buellosaurus Rex”.
Indeed. Now, “Tyrannosaurus Rex” in Latin translates as '“Terrible Lizard'”. Buellosaurus Rex would translate roughly to “terrible Buell”, or something to that effect. I was not about to dispute his choice of moniker. B.Rex fit; B.Rex it was.
And the similarities between a T.Rex and a B.Rex were soon apparent…..on the first post-morph shakedown ride. Gone were any scattered fragments of good manners and civility that might have been; this was now a hooligan bike bent on frightening small children and animals, and eating them if it could catch them.
There was a slight “dead zone” down low now, between two and three thousand RPM. It used to pull strong from about 2000 on up, a strong, gradual increase in torque, up to 5000 or so, where it leveled out. Now, the train began pulling at about three thousand, and switched on violently at 4000, pulling like a Clydesdale right up to redline (about 6,800), where I would have a close encounter with the rev-limiter built in to the race ignition unit.
WOW!
What a rush!
You could now pounce on this thing off the lights and blow through 90 before hitting fourth gear…, with fifth still waiting in the wings…..and never hit the throttle stop. In fact, it wasn'’t until mid season the following year I actually did put it against the stop. It just wasn’'t necessary. Besides, it scared the living crap out of me. And all the time there was this unearthly thundering howl in your ears that made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Rolling Thunder, I call it. Whacking the throttle had now become somewhat akin to poking a grizzly bear in the butt with a sharp, pointed stick…. And nearly as dangerous.
I had to re-learn the lost art of “curbing my enthusiasm.” This was like riding an electric-blue powder keg.
Oh, it wasn'’t all wine and roses. …I had a fair amount of jetting to address, but one of the beautiful things about the HSR series Mikuni is that the main jet is accessible without removing the float bowl; simply by removing the hex drain plug at the bottom of the bowl. A couple of jetting experiments and I was in the ballpark, anyway.
And what of that poor Seca? Was it doomed to the back of my garage now, until some poor slob rescued it, overthrown by yet another Buell?
Hell no. It became my daily summertime driver; my “work” horse. It’s on my lift as I write this, getting new shoes.
But, I had other, more serious problems to contend with. A particular dragon had been awakened; a sleeping giant of incredible stature. I knew it, I could sense it, feel it in the thunder and lightning that day in the garage. He had been sleeping for over two decades. Now he was awake…. And ravenous.

Last edited:
Some photos from the O.R.

1) Patient on the table

2) Lungectomy (old airbox removal)

3) Patient undergoing surgery prep

4) Pre-Thunderslide amputation

5) Thunderslide amputated

6) Old ignition unit ready for amputation

OR1.jpg

OR2.jpg

OR3.jpg

OR4.jpg

OR5.jpg

OR6.jpg

You ever hear that old joke, How do you keep an asshole in suspense?................................

More pix of the Buell in the OR....

1) The new Mikuni HSR in place with new breather vent setup

2) Andrews N8 cam profile (compared to original)

3) New cams in place

4) Cam lobe profile

5) Rocker box cover off

6) Cams old vs new

7) Old cams in place

8) Rocker arms exposed

9) Old muffler (affectionately known as the "tractor muffler") removed

10) New Lightning ICU in place

AA1.jpg

AA2.jpg

AA3.jpg

AA4.jpg

AA5.jpg

AA7.jpg

AA8.jpg

AA9.jpg

AA10.jpg

AA6.jpg

Chapter 23

“To Build A Fire” (With apologies to Jack London)

…And then one day you find//Ten years have got behind you//No one told you when to run//You missed the starting gun……..
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon

Not to steal any thunder from Jack London, but I’'m sure most of you at one time or other during your lifetime has either had to build, or tend a fire. You can'’t build a fire by simply grabbing a log, or several logs, and touching a match to it. Even if you dump lighter fluid on the logs, once the fuel burns off, the flames go out. You need tinder; something to light easily and get the flames burning.
Tinder won’t do the job by itself, though. A properly built fire is structured with several large logs at the base, usually in a square, with a small pile of ultra-fine tinder in the center, surrounded by larger tinder (small branches and sticks, etc). Once the tinder is lit and the larger tinder begins burning, you have to sort of hand-feed the fire; keep the tinder coming as it’s consumed, until the large logs begin to burn. Soon you'’ll have a roaring fire, with intense, hot flames leaping into the air and forcing you back away from the heat, perhaps singeing your clothes or hair. But, a roaring fire will quickly burn itself out, exhausting all the fuel as fast as you can heave it on. Not only is this counter-productive to the guy who spent all afternoon gathering or splitting wood, but it can be deadly if you are relying on the heat to sustain you. Far better to let the roaring fire ignite the big logs, then bank it down. The warmth won'’t be as intense, but the fuel will last a whole lot longer; it will sustain you.
Quite frankly, most of us approach our car hobby like the first fire; we get it burning and then heap so much fuel on it that it becomes a roaring, raging blaze that quickly consumes all the available fuel (time, money, family and job patience) and leaves us, well, …cold. In a way, this is what happened with the li'’l red minx and the Duke. All the intensity of those years makes you want to rest, let the fire just burn out lazily and slowly smolder out.
One time, while on a camping trip, I kept a campsite fire going nonstop for seven days. At night, when the flames had died down to gently flickering orange embers, I would pile the embers up in a tall pyramid. Next morning, I would spread the pyramid out evenly, throw on some fine tinder, and with a little air, the still-warm embers would ignite the tinder and soon I'’d have a blaze going for cooking breakfast. It was much the same with the Duster. For over two decades, the ashes had been piled high under that tarp, cold as a stone on the outside, but maybe still warm at the core? It was time to see if there was enough warmth to ignite a little tinder.
***​
Time had caught up with me, so to speak. You can leave a car under a tarp for two decades. Double that time and the car may still be there, relatively unchanged. But will you be? I was reliving the Glory Days with one of the guys at work, spinning yarns about the minx and The Duke, and reminiscing. We laughed and joked about it, and I defended my stance on the hulk under the tarp with a bold statement; “Hell, it’'s been sitting there for 25 years, if it sits there another 25, I'’ll still have it”.
He replied; “Yeah, but will you be able to even drive it?”
We laughed it off, but later that evening, the truth of what he’'d said began to nag at me.
How long is too long?
Will you even be able to drive it? Nobody knows what the future will bring.
Even if…, will you even want to drive it?
Time to find out.
Better to die of exhaustion halfway through the trek than to never start out at all.

***​

I raised the hood and stood there staring. It was not a pretty picture. No carb, no distributor, the old Offy manifold perched on top to cover the lifter galley, Mickey Thompson/Edelbrock rocker covers perched carelessly over the rocker shafts, dirty, corroded, lusterless. I grabbed a trouble light and just started looking, like an undertaker sizing up his next client.
The first thing I noticed was that the left header had a hole rusted through one of the tubes the size of a finishing nail. I grimly noted that I'’d be needing new headers. The Pontiac Blue paint was covered with grease and dirt, that is; where it wasn'’t rusty and peeling off. The water jacket freeze plugs were covered with a white, powdery corrosion. I gingerly lifted off the manifold and looked at the cam. A little surface rust. Some on the lifters and push rods as well. I lifted off the loose rocker covers and was relieved to see the rocker arms and shafts still looked good. But it was still winter, cold and damp. I decided to grab a notepad and begin listing what I wanted to do and what would need replacing. I still had several months to think about this. I put the pieces back and held my hands over the pyramid of ashes. There was warmth in there yet. Yeah, there was.

***​
I fed the small, feeble flame all through the winter, reading Mopar Muscle magazine, searching websites, and thumbing through catalogs. I briefly flirted with the idea of doing a full concourse restoration, rebuilding the 340 to stock ’'72 specs, but soon chucked that idea in the gravel. It just wasn'’t me. My car had to be, like my Buell, different. Stock just wouldn'’t do. Relieved to have put that rather disturbing thought behind me, I earnestly began planning the build.
The first thing to do was convince myself that a total teardown of the motor was necessary. It didn'’t take that much convincing. Low mileage or not, I wanted this thing done right. Next thing was to find a good engine shop. I had no idea whether Sexton Automotive was still in business, and besides, it was over an hour drive, even if it was. No good. My son Chris had found a shop in nearby Kenosha, a guy by the name of Tony who seemed pleasant and knowledgeable on the phone, and he invited me up to see his shop.
Not only did I see it, he gave me the grand tour! Not only that, he spent a great deal of time responding to my emails and questions, and seemed to have a genuine knowledge of the smallblock Mopar. I was sold. Relieved to have found a shop I could trust, I pushed forward.

***​
June, 2004.
I had just attended a car show the weekend before. Not much in the way of Mopars, but enticing, nonetheless. Spring had come late this year, with winds, rain and below-normal temperatures that pushed my timetable back some. But the weekend of the car show had been sunny and warm. All systems go.
Now, I mentioned earlier that it started with a motorcycle and a screw. I told you about the motorcycle. Now let me tell you about the screw.
It was a little screw; one that held the fender tag on the left fender well. There were two of them, to be exact. June 27th, 2004. Once again, I raised the hood and stared. I lifted off the manifold and rocker covers once again……. But this time I didn'’t put them back. As I pondered the project ahead, my hand unconsciously picked up a Phillips screwdriver and undid the two tiny Phillips screws holding the fender well tag to the inner fender. I popped the screws and the tag into a Ziplock baggie and labeled it “'FW tag'”…..and we were off and running. Just like that.
Four hours later, a heap of similar-looking baggies and assorted parts lay at my feet. The headers, oil filter adapter, alternator hardware, and everything else I could see or reach were loose, including the driveshaft, linkage, cross member bolts and engine mount bolts. I’'d brought the engine hoist home from work in the back of my car; I assembled it, then pushed the car halfway out for some working room. Deep breath; I was ready.
My son and his friend were there to help. Hang time was about 15 minutes, start to finish, then I set the motor and tranny on my four-wheeled dolly and pushed it out of the way.
An hour later, it was perched on my virgin, never-been-used engine stand and I was tearing into it like a cat on a tunafish sandwich. I knew I had to be careful not to put too much wood on the fire, but the heat felt good. Damn, it felt good!

***​
I didn'’t have a lot of spare cash to play with…. Still don’'t, for that matter. There was a lot I could do without the use of cash early on. There were motor parts to be cleaned, an engine bay to be cleaned and painted, decisions to be made. I succeeded in getting the engine apart, down to the block with just the crank resting like a sleeping baby in it’s cast-iron crib. I did some cleaning and degreasing of the engine bay and front suspension, trying to decide which way to go with things. At last, a plan emerged through the mist. This car would be redone from the axles up. The front suspension was in poor shape; the rubber bushings dry rotted, brake lines rusty and corroded, tires old and hard. It would hardly make sense to make a 12-second run at the strip, tromp on the brakes, and have the pedal go to the floor, squirting DOT-3 all over the track and me pissing my pants and doing a Fred Flintstone. That meant pulling the entire front suspension, removing the K-frame, and priming/undercoating every piece of the unibody, and painting or powder coating every single piece of suspension. At this point it dawned on me that it was academic whether or not I ever finish the car. It’s the journey, not the destination, I tell myself. I also want to avoid the poseur trap so many fall into today. Guy buys a car. Guy sends out the motor, tranny, body and suspension, has the motor built and assembled for him (or worse yet, buys a crate motor), has the whole car assembled, then off for paint and interior, then parades it down Main Street with his chest all puffed out; Look at me! I have a musclecar! I’'ve spent thousands! I’'m important, and Oh, So Fortunate!
Ummmm…..Excuse me…, but you’re a poseur…. Nothing but a chucklehead in my book. You did nothing except sign the title and exchange greenbacks for someone else'’s talent. I’'m impressed by your machine, but not by you. I’'m dazzled by the art, not the artist. That gangly 17-year old in the gray-primer Dart next to you…..now, he’'s the one that impresses me. See, he did it all by himself, with the help of his family and friends. No, the Bondo’'s not perfect and it won'’t win any awards for concourse restoration, but the kid has a heart the size of New Jersey…. Just look at the sweat and blood and emotion he put into this thing!
That’'s how I see it. Maybe, now, I could afford to have somebody build me a car. Maybe not. No matter, I won'’t. If I can do it myself, I will. Because I can. So someday, I'’ll have a hard drive full of digital pix that detail every nut, bolt, every drop of paint, and …every drop of blood that goes into building a car like this. I might even paint it myself (although I wouldn'’t feel like Benedict Arnold by having a pro shoot it…… this time around. One “'Battle Of Midway”' with kamikazi walrus-flies is enough!) This is not about the car; …the finished product. Not at all. It'’s about the garage-therapy, the struggle, the busted knuckles and the empty wallet and the triumphs and victories, however small, that make up a project. And if I never quite finish it, the journey will have been sweet. And I hope you will share it with me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
EPILOGUE

It'’s been a grand ride down memory lane, but I guess we'’ve arrived here…, in the present time. I'd like to thank you all for riding along. Now don'’t get all weepy and teary-eyed on me...…there’'s a whole lotta fun left to go and an entire car to build……...from the axles up! Part II of this story is gonna go where Part I never had the big brass gonads to; uncharted waters, so to speak. As I promised, this part will be full of pictures, a luxury I didn'’t have back in the days of Minxes and Dukes. The really cool thing is, I have NO idea where this will end up…, so the surprise will be mine as well as yours. An interesting footnote; this car does not yet have an identity; or shall I say, it has not yet seen fit to introduce itself yet, as did the l’i'l red minx, the Duke, B.Rex, or his l’i'l sister, the Banshee. It will happen though, and as soon as I’'m introduced, I'’ll do the same for all of you. I had a lot of fun burning rubber back in the day, and almost, I think…, more fun telling you all about it. There are memories in this thread I’'ve dredged up from who-knows-where that were long forgotten until you all coaxed them to come out and play, and I thank you for that. Now, get in; my motor's getting overheated…....and lets go! :mob:

Last edited:
I've just finished the whole escapade(took a couple of weeks) start to finish, and really enjoyed your story. You've got great perpective and descriptiveness.
Good luck with the old Duke project!

By the way, I transferred your story to word, just copy and paste, with putting in one space between paragraphs. I came up with 78 pages with 10 point font! Thats a long story! I don't think I have ever known of anyone, on any forum that did as much writing as you did, I can see why it took several months for you to write it.

Good job!

Please, post a picture or two of "The Duke"

flyboy01 said:
By the way, I transferred your story to word, just copy and paste, with putting in one space between paragraphs. I came up with 78 pages with 10 point font! Thats a long story! I don't think I have ever known of anyone, on any forum that did as much writing as you did, I can see why it took several months for you to write it.

Good job!

Please, post a picture or two of "The Duke"

........and I enjoyed every damn word of it! Honestly, I don't know what to do with myself now.
Guess I'll have to really kick in the afterburner on part II.

-
Back