Captainkirk's Duster project

-
A TALE OF TWO DUSTERS…….PART II

…Don'’t know where we come from // Don'’t know where we'’re going to // But if any of us should have a reason // we would be the last to know……...
Steppenwolf

Straight out of the chute, this project got off on the wrong foot. Once I got the engine stripped down to the bare nubs, I realized I didn’'t have enough money to complete the block work. Start it, yes. But this was more than a simple dip-and-hone. I’'d left the crank in it’s cast-iron cradle to keep it from warping, but had removed the pistons and rods. Good thing I decided to open it up; several of the compression rings were stuck completely closed and one oil control ring broke as I removed the piston. I bagged and tagged everything and covered the block up on the stand, and set to work on the engine bay.
My first attempts at cleaning the rust spots off were wimpy and futile. I used an air grinder with 3M RoLoc discs, but it was like pissing on a forest fire to put it out. I tried to work around the K-frame, but it slowly dawned on me that it…, along with the rest of the suspension, …would have to come out, if I was gonna do this right.
Right then and there, the magnitude of this project smacked me right between the eyes.
Again, the hurdle was all mental. Once you'’ve made the decision to shoot or not shoot, all that'’s left is the squeezing of the trigger.
I squeezed it.
Meanwhile, the lifeless carcass of the motor had sat unmolested through the winter as I saved up my pennies and dimes for the engine work. In the spring of ’'06 I finally called Tony and told him I’'d be delivering the block.
I went to pull the crank, and was properly horrified to discover a film of rust on the rod journals as well as the cylinders. I silently (well, OK, aloud…, though nobody was within earshot) cursed myself for leaving the opened-up motor sitting so long. My bad. The crank had been the one and only pristine part left on the motor…..nice going, doofus.
I delivered the motor to Tony and set upon the suspension, removing the entire K-frame and everything that attached to it, including the torsion bars in about a two week span. By this time, I’'d found the FABO (For A-bodies Only) website, and the help the members gave me was (and remains) invaluable. After some suspenseful moments with the torsion bars, I got everything, including the K-frame, out.
Now I had room to work on this thing. I climbed in, sat down on an overturned 5 gallon pail, and got busy.
***​
I had tried using brush-on rust converter on the bare metal pitting once I'’d removed the surface rust. It hardened to a rough, hard black finish, but I was not happy with the end result. I happened to be up at the hardware store, looking for something different to use, when I saw a new product; Rust-Oleum spray-on rust converter.
Now, this was the ticket. It went on like flat black paint; in fact, that’'s what it looked like. So, I bought a couple cans and headed home, gung-ho to try it out.
Now; how to get rid of the rust and the rough surfaces? I pondered this a while. Sandblasting? No…. I’'d have sand in every nook and cranny of the garage (not to mention the car). Chemical stripper? You'’re nuts. Too much mess, plus you'’ve gotta neutralize it. Electric drill with wire wheel? Naaaah…. Too much surface area. I’'d have to buy ‘em by the gross (the wire wheels, that is). DA sander? Body grinder? Yeah, right…. Look at all the humps and bumps everywhere…. That'’ll go over like a lead balloon.
In the end, I settled on the old tried and true…..sandpaper. Regular old 100 grit rough-cut paper. I was amazed at how quickly it cut down the rust and peeling paint to bare metal, and smoothed out the rest of the paint. Once I’'d got the rust off, I went over everything with 320, cleaned it off with denatured alcohol, and started spraying. It was a vast improvement. As fall and winter were coming on, I knew the rust converter would keep until spring, when I could shoot a coat of primer sealer. Maybe by then I’'d have made up my mind for sure on a color.

***​
The problem with the color thing is this; I want to paint this car the color it was when it left the factory; Winchester Metallic Gray. That’s the color of the doorposts, the underside of the deck lid, etc. And that’s the color it should be. It’s a nice looking color, although somewhat rare, from what I understand. All the more reason to go with the original, right? So what'’s the problem?
The problem is, the l’i'l red minx looked so hot! I guess I need to keep telling myself that this is a new project; not the minx or the Duke, but an individual with a persona all it’s own. I wouldn'’t even be worried about it at this point in the game; except that I have to decide on a color and shoot the engine bay before the motor goes in. What I mean is…, I need to convince myself that painting the engine bay Winchester Metallic Gray is the way to go. And I know that it is. I just miss that red car so much sometimes…….

1) Engine, ready to yank like a bad tooth
2) Another shot
3) A dismaying sight...looks like I have my work cut out for me.

AA1.jpg

AA2.jpg

AA3.jpg

Last edited:
I decided I needed to get everything off the firewall and fender wells; proportioning valve, heater core, brake lines, master cylinder......you name it. The word here is "ground up" restoration. Off it came....

AA1.jpg

Here are a few more pictures taken after the motor was out.....and before I decided to really tear into the restoration. You can see the damage caused by battery acid and just plain sitting around under the tarp. You can also see that the brake lines and priority valve, while leak-free, intact and holding good pressure, are none too confidence inspiring. Better to do it right the first time around.

AA1.jpg

AA2.jpg

AA3.jpg

AA4.jpg

AA5.jpg

AA6.jpg

AA7.jpg

AA8.jpg

With a little bit o' luck and some help from the FABO team, I finally got the K-frame out!

AA1.jpg

I'm new to the forum and have read the whole story in a couple hours, great reading can't wait to read the next chapter. There is definitly something in this story for everyone to relate to. Countless times while reading this I have found myself grinning and remembering times in my past.

Keep up the good work

Brambles

Brambles said:
Countless times while reading this I have found myself grinning and remembering times in my past.

I'd love to hear about 'em! Don't be shy....you're among friends!

Chapter 2

Trouble in Motor City

Once I’'d made the decision to yank the K frame, my life got a little easier. It'’s agonizing over the decisions that make up the hard part. So I dove in to the deep end and started dismantling things.
It felt good to jack up the front end and yank off the wheels that hadn'’t squealed on tarmac in twenty-something years. The front discs were surface-rusty but still in very good condition. This was a good thing, because I had every intention of using them over. I must admit I had some challenges when it came to extracting the torsion bars. I was a little unclear on the concept of how they actually bolted in, never having seen the business end of one before. And then, once I got the clips loose, I had to figure out a way to back them out of their respective hexagonal receivers without nicking or damaging them. Common sense told me to order the removal tool sold in the Year One catalog I had. Impatience told me the hell with that; I want these freakin’ things out NOW! In the end I compromised by jerry-rigging up a tool. I used a strip of ¼” thick rubber sheeting wrapped around the torsion bar and clamped a Vise Grips around it. Do I recommend this method? Nahh. Plan ahead. Buy the tool. But fortunately for me, the bars, while being a bit stubborn, weren'’t rusted in and popped loose after a few good smacks on the Vise Grips with a ball-peen hammer. No damage done, no money spent. Now that’s my kind of bargain. And the best part was, they were lying out on the concrete the very same night I started on them, no waiting for tools to arrive. Pretty good, for having been in there for 35 years, no?
I had to break down and buy a pickle fork to separate the steering parts, but that was no big deal. I went to the Auto Zone down the road and was back wailing away within fifteen minutes. All in all, I had this thing gutted within a week or so and was ready to start in on the rust and corrosion.
I did have a few minutes of real fear when I put that big, honkin'’ socket on the K-frame bolts with a ½” breaker bar and pulled…..to no avail. I hosed the threads on the four Big Mamoo bolts down with AeroKroil and scurried off to scrounge up a nice long piece of pipe from the basement. By the time I got back and put my cheater bar to use, it was almost anti-climactic; the AeroKroil had done it’s job, and they eased out with just a hint of a sigh of protest, like a hot knife through butter. My nightmares of snapped off bolts vanished like a leaf in a windstorm. Whew!
Then came the little stuff; all the “bits and pieces” attached here and there and everywhere, that were, quite frankly, in my way. Such as the clutch bell crank pivot, the front brake lines, priority valve, fuel line clamps, master cylinder, heater core, etc. It’s gut and slash, boys. Remove it if it ain'’t welded on. It all went quicker than I expected, as did the actual sanding. Aside from making my finger tips sore as hell for the next three days, the sanding was easy, and done in a few days, as opposed to the chemical stripping or sandblasting that I’'d considered previously. The primer/rust converter went on nicely as well. And before I knew it, I was looking at a primed/converted engine bay. Since I’d decided to wait until later for the primer/sealer and paint coats, and over the winter to do the front suspension/K-frame parts, I decided to turn my attention to the hunk of cast iron hanging mute on the stand. I was growing impatient.
***​
Tony had now had the engine for a few weeks. Thankfully, the bores and pistons miked out fine, standard, which was a relief. Buying new forged slugs would'’ve set me back a month or two. In the end, it really wouldn'’t have mattered anyway, because a head-spinning turn of events was going to set me back, anyway.
The turn of which I speak involved the crank, and the original motor from The Duke. Remember that one? The early, oil-burning stove of a 340 that I’'d yanked on my Christmas break way-back-when? I’'d mentioned that the crank had sat with the rod journals unprotected over the winter. Well, Tony called and gave me the bad news; The crank was fine, but would have to be ground .010 under, due to the rust pitting. No big deal, but it was gonna set me back money-wise, and I was really pretty pissed at myself for allowing this to happen; it was, after all, my fault. I told him to do what he had to do. I'’d come up with the extra scratch somewhere.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a thought struck me. Or, rather, kicked me in the ***. There on the floor of my garage sat the original motor from The Duke, sad, forlorn, neglected, and untouched since Jimmy Carter was in the White House, vintage unknown. I knew it wasn'’t a ’72 due to the Hi Perf manifolds and the Carter AVS perched on top. So, what WAS it? I got out a can of spray degreaser and started searching for numbers, with the Secret Ring Decoder chart provided in the front of my Year One catalog.
There on the side of the block was a date. I couldn'’t quite make it out. I rubbed some more…. Still not clear. I grabbed a flashlight and angled the beam so the light would shadow the numbers…...could it be? No…..YES! They stood out clearly now, shaded in the light; 10-’69!
Holy Smokes! Jackpot! That means this block should have a forged crank, ten-and-a-half-to-one’s, and “X”-heads with 2.02 intakes! But, what kind of condition would they be in after all these years? I might just have 400 pounds of scrap iron sitting there on the floor, for all I knew.
My heart was pounding now; it was late in the evening and I had to work the next day. But I just couldn'’t wait. Not now. I turned up the volume on the radio and started spinning wrenches.
***​
I worked late into the evening. I made short work of the rocker shafts and push rods, and began spinning out the head bolts. Then came the massive cast-iron square-bore intake. Uh oh…-trouble here! Nestled underneath the manifold was one hell of a mousie nest, bathroom included. Little bastards…. This could be messy. I cleaned up all the nest and mousie turds and carried on. I started on the right head first. It needed no coaxing to come off, and I could see the telltale blue signature of a FelPro gasket sandwiched underneath it. It popped right off with a simple tug, and I got my first peek inside the engine.
Eeeeewwww! Gross! The cylinders with the pistons down had a thick layer of surface rust on them, resembling somewhat, the likeness of the inside of a boiler …from the Titanic, no less, dredged up from the bottom of the Atlantic, and thick enough that I’d never be able to rotate the crank. Well, I'’d cross that bridge when I came to it. I got started on the left head.
The left head took some doing. In fact, it was immediately obvious that the right head had been off once and the left head; never. Or at least, not for a long, long time. No tell-tale FelPro blue here; this one was… cheaper. My rubber mallet had no effect on it. A chunk of 2 x 4, likewise. Finally, I screwed a couple of intake bolts back in, and using these as a leverage point, and the 2 X 4 as a lever with the block as a fulcrum, the head gave way. But not without protest. The head gasket, which must have been cemented in place, literally tore itself asunder coming apart. The front left cylinder had entertained visitors. How mice were able to get inside a cylinder with heads on may still be a topic of discussion a thousand years from now, but they did.
Now that the heads were off, I flipped them over to examine them. They were, in fact 2.02 “X” heads. I’'d seen ones in better shape, mind you. But they were genuine X heads, and that fact alone was encouraging.
I admit, that at this time, I briefly considered using these in place of my “J” heads …and then the voice of reason whispered in my ear that: 1) My J heads were already ported and polished, 2) they were cc’'d to lower the compression ratio with those monster TRW pistons to a more…… reasonable… 11:1, 3) they were physically in much better shape than the X’s, with new guides and all and would be cheaper to rebuild, and last but not least, cc'’ing yet another set of heads out for those piston domes would render them useless for any other flat top pistons I might choose down the line. A quick phone call to Tony in the morning netted yet another surprise; he told me the 1.88’'s in the J heads would yield more torque down low (as in “street use”) and the 2.02’'s wouldn'’t help breathing much until you were way upstairs. That clinched it. I'’d stick with the J'’s with their 1.88’'s and save the X heads for a rainy day.
But enough of this working on the floor stuff. I pulled the tranny and bell housing, then the clutch pack and flywheel. I bolted the rotator assembly from my now-empty-and-no-longer-a-virgin engine stand onto the back of the motor, and with the help of my son, hoisted it up and into the stand receiver. This was more like it! I placed a drip pan under the motor and swiveled it upside-down to let any remaining oil drain overnight.
***​
I hardly slept that night, and work the next day seemed like torture; I could hardly concentrate, wanting to run home and rip into that motor like a monkey on a cupcake. I talked to Tony on the phone about the heads; that made me feel better. Then I asked him, that IF I found a forged crank in this thing, and IF it was any good, could I use it with this motor build? He said, absolutely, but I'’d have to re-balance the entire rotating assembly. Cha-ching! Well, again, I'’d cross that bridge… IF I came to it.
That night, after dinner, I trucked on out to the garage and turned on the radio. It was an unusually warm spring night; T-shirt weather, no less; and I ripped into that motor like a drug-sniffing canine working a Colombian “Jeffe”. The pan was off in about, …oh, three seconds, give or take. Then the windage tray. The timing cover and gears followed suit. I stared at the counterweights, unsure of what I was seeing. They were certainly rough. Bits of casting flash were everywhere; on one of the rough parts behind a rod journal was a sharp stalagmite of iron that would probably take a finger off if you picked it up wrong. This could hardly be forged steel. I’'d seen a forged crank once, and it was a thing of beauty to behold; all polished and smooth. The cast crank out of the Minx Motor looked better than this! Oh well, no stopping now. I was determined to get this motor stripped tonight.
It took a bit of doin'’ to get the crank out without moving the pistons and rods to TDC, but somehow I managed. A kind of magical thing happened that night; electricity was in the air. I cracked open a Special Export, and then the radio did a funny thing; each night at 10:00 pm on this particular station they run a program called 'Ten at Ten'; 10 songs from a particular featured year. That year that night just happened to be 1976…...the very year I’'d torn into the L’i'l Red Minx’'s motor. The first song just happened to be The Boss, belting out “Thunder Road”, and suddenly I was thirty years younger, working on the Minx back in Dad’s garage in Mudville; and my fingers began to fly unconsciously on their own as the oil smell and the music triggered memories long since forgotten and suddenly I was just there, man! Peter Frampton, Boz Scaggs, comin'’ at me one right after another and I was so into it, so alive, my soul singing those Songs Of Thunder once again……. Coincidence? I don’t think so.
The disemboweled motor lay scattered in bits and pieces about me, with the exception of the pistons. Lord, it was after twelve o’clock! I sheepishly turned down the radio, which had without fanfare (or me even noticing) returned me to the present, hoping I hadn'’t wakened the neighbors, and headed inside to clean up. It was, after all, a work day tomorrow. But not before turning the engine right-side-up again and filling the cylinders with copious amounts of AeroKroil. Do your work, I silently coaxed it. Do what you do, and save this block for another motor, another build, another day. I popped another Export, and as I turned at the door and looked at the Duster under the tarp, my finger poised on the light switch ready to engulf the garage in darkness once again, I thought I heard a gentle whisper….” Well, hello……, again”. But it might'’ve been the breeze. Yeah, it might have been.
***​
The Kroil might’'ve helped some, but this piston stuff was no walk in the park. I wanted to be careful, as the pistons were in all probability nice 10 ½: 1’s and might still be salvageable. Several of them came out with little protest, some rather grudgingly, and then there were these two, ……well, let'’s just say that after attacking the rust on the cylinder bores with coarse sandpaper, they still had to be literally pounded out of the bores with a five pound sledge hammer and a stout length of 2 X 2, wailing on it until the ends of the wood were splintered and mushroomed out. And even then it was not certain who would win. But give in, they did, at last; and as the pistons popped out of their bores one by one. I marveled at the number of pieces the rings were in, some as many as six. I wondered if this was the cause of the oil burning problem, or the chunks of valve seals I’'d found in the pan, or both? No matter. Once the pistons were out, I was even more amazed to find little or no “step” at the top of the cylinder. I certainly needed no ridge reamer for any of the pistons, broken rings or not. No way these cylinders had 100,000 miles on them. No way. So, somewhere in The Duke’'s past, it had received a heart transplant; a ’'69 340 with a Carter AVS, Hi Perf cast exhaust manifolds and all that went with it. If cars could only talk. What a tale The Duke might have to share with me! But, dead men tell no tales, it'’s said, and The Duke was long gone, nothing but this sun-bleached skeleton of a once-deadly gunfighter lying in state, silent as the grave, in my garage.

Last edited:
Captainkirk said:
I'd love to hear about 'em! Don't be shy....you're among friends!

I definitely wasn't given the gift of entertaining story telling, quite often the words flow through my mind like an OPERA but when I open my mouth I end up with RAP????? eeewwwweeee

Its funny how a certain song will bring back memories as clear as they were ages ago. There is a certain song that reminds me of when I was 16 and installing a 8 3/4 diff under my 72 swinger laying on my back in the dirt driveway during summer break. The trunk open and inside it was the house stereo and an extension cord, tunes cranked and pullin wrenches. Sure miss that car..

Keep up the good work, glad to hear that work had started back up on "the duke" you had me worried..

Brambles

Damn, those pictures are depressing me, I can imagine how you felt. By the way, rust dissolver from Eastwood works really well, It could have helped you with getting those pistons out. Also, LPS makes a new rust breaker called KB-88, I tried some I got as samples, it works awesome! Best stuff yet.

Yeah, but bear in mind that this motor is nothing more than a parts donor at this point in time! Better things yet to come!

Here are a few pix of the forged crank, after Tony did his thing, and I after did my thing to the counterweights.

AA1.jpg

AA2.jpg

AA3.jpg

You know, you are like a $5 crack dealer, just giving us enough to keep us coming back every day!

flyboy01 said:
You know, you are like a $5 crack dealer, just giving us enough to keep us coming back every day!

That's the whole idea, my friend!

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pix of the engine bay wearing the Rust-Oleum rust converter, which sprays on in nice even coats like a flat-black primer; easy to use with good coverage.

AA1.jpg

AA2.jpg

AA3.jpg

Chapter 3

Yank my Crank!

Now that I had the object of my desire in my hands, the whole damn reason I’'d begun this crusade in the first place, the crank. ……I looked it over carefully. Yes, it was a rough piece of metal, not nearly as smooth as the cast crank I'’d pulled out of the Minx Motor. But it felt heavier, somehow; more solid. It might be my imagination, but I don'’t think so. The journals had some minute wear-grooves on them; they'’d need work, but definitely salvageable. My greatest fear of mousie-outhouse-induced corrosion was non-existent. After twenty five years of sitting, there wasn'’t a speck of rust on the crank, anywhere.
The next Saturday I loaded the crank up and shot up to see Tony. I walked in cradling this thing wrapped in a towel like a newborn baby, and I didn'’t even have to set it down on the counter for Tony to I.D. it. Tony took one look at it and said, “"Oh yeah, that'’s definitely a forged crank. Nice piece!”" Wow. I’'d hit the Mother Lode this time!
Tony called me the next day and said the crank had miked out fine; he’'d have to grind it .010 under though, to remove the grooves. I gave him the go-ahead, silently wondering which bank I should rob. Now I had TWO cranks ground 10-under. I inquired about the flashing present on the counterweights. Tony said that it wouldn'’t really hurt anything, but that cleaning it up would help the crank weights to shed oil; that is, prevent oil from clinging to the counterweights at higher RPM. I asked him to hold off on grinding the flashing off of the crank; that I'’d like to do that part myself as I knew it was a fairly simple, yet labor-intensive job. And it needed to be done before the assembly was balanced. He concurred, and I drove up Wednesday and picked up the crank I'’d just delivered.
I ground off as much flash as I dared, and smoothed the rough surfaces of the weights. I used a carbide bit (a.k.a. '“Screaming Ball Of Death”') and coarse (brown) RoLoc discs, as well as hand files. In the end, I guess I did about as much metal removal as anyone would have dared to, under the circumstances (those being that I was just guessing at this whole process). After all, I didn'’t want to weaken it or throw the balance off. Then I wrapped it back up in it’s swaddling clothes like a little forged steel papoose and ran it back up to Tony again.
***​
It wasn'’t long before I got another phone call from Tony. I think they should make a telephone with a ring tone of a cash register. Every time he called…..Cha-ching! Sorta like Automatic checking. Perhaps I should have just left my ATM card with him…..
Seems the flywheel I'’d brought him, off the ’'69 had been polished and cleaned up…, and had many, many little cracks over the surface. He said it would probably be fine for pass car useage …but NOT a 400 HP street/strip motor. Big sigh. ……How much is a new one?
Tony figured around two/two-fifty for a Hays flywheel. Cha-ching! I told him I’'d get back to him the next day.
Now, this really sucked. I couldn'’t use the Minx’'s flywheel because it was for a cast crank; the bolt pattern and balancing were different. Now, don'’t ask me how or why, but if you'’ll go back and look at my pix of the Buell on the lift, in one of them you can just barely make out the ’'69 motor on the garage floor in the background. And perched on top of it is a..….flywheel?
Yep. A flywheel. I’'m not even sure where it came from. Most likely from the Valiant Little 318 That Could. The “Late Sixties” 318 that could. As in …forged, not cast, crank? Do we have a donor match? Why, yes, doctor. It'’s a match. Now, what are the odds of that? Probably about the same as a mouse getting inside a cylinder with the heads still bolted on, but… stranger things HAVE happened. We have proof…..
After many weeks of waiting, I finally got the phone call from Tony. The block, crank, rods and pistons were ready for pickup. The flywheel atop the Motel d’' Mousie I’'d found, along with being a donor match, was in excellent condition. Now all I had to do was figure out how to pay for it. The original, simple quote for the lower end machining along with rings and bearings, had escalated from an easy $350.00 to a whopping $900.00. And that wasn'’t really in the budget….
***​
It never is, is it? In the budget, I mean. That'’s why this project is on the “five year plan”. With an option to extend. That'’s right. I’'m in no hurry to get this thing done, even though I am. What!? What I meant to say was, I won’'t let my blind ambition get ahead of my spending ability. We discussed this before. Besides, that allows me time to spin these amusing yarns. If I had an unlimited bank account, I’'d be working on the car all the time instead of writing amusing short stories. Rather, I enjoy plugging away at my project, doing as much of the work myself as possible, shooting pictures up the wazoo and doing play-by-play anecdotes for all of you to share. Sort of like telling campfire tales, if you will. (without the marshmallows). And campfire tales are free, not to mention fun. But moving on………...
I finally managed to scrape up enough money to go pick up my parts from Tony. I felt like Lincoln, freeing the slaves. Or Moses leading his people out of bondage, Tony being Pharaoh. And we parted the Red Sea (the covers of my checkbook) and crossed the desert in my beat-up Jeep Cherokee and I brought my people forth from bondage down into the basement workshop where it was warm. (and not 14 degrees, which was the high today)!
Now, wait a minute, you’'re thinking. Didn'’t you do this “basement” thing once before? You and that Howard guy?
(Damn your sharp memory!)
Ahh…, yes. BUT…...there’'s a method to my madness this time. See, I can do all the assembling and ring-fitting and bearing Plasti-gauging, and all that crap in the basement, in relative warmth and comfort, then mark and disassemble everything and bag it. When warmer weather breaks and my K-frame is back in the car, I can reassemble things out in the garage knowing it will all fit. Now, I hope I won'’t be writing amusing stories about this next year, because it sounds like a perfectly good plan at this particular point in time, but then they always do, don’'t they?
***​
So what'’s in YOUR wallet? I'’ll tell you what’s in mine…..a bunch of moths, that’'s what. Now usually, I’'m the kinda guy who, when he opens his wallet, Washington squints at the light because he’s been in the dark so long. Well, all my Dead Presidents have gone to live at Tony'’s house now, and it will be interesting to see how this affects the project. If I were to do everything on this motor the way I want to, it may be a long time coming. If I don'’t, I may not be happy with the end results. For example; I had decided a couple weeks ago that I wanted a six-pack induction setup. In the worst way, I might add. All well and fine. There are several places that sell complete smallblock packages for as little as $1,700.00. Now, that’s a chunk of change to spend on an induction system. For that matter, it’s a chunk of change to spend on anything. But even more so if you have other (rather important) engine work left to do, such as heads, cam and lifter selection, ignition upgrades, etc. And I haven'’t even mentioned the rest of the car yet! See where I’'m going with this? So I’'m realizing that, while I’'d love to have the ultimate car of my dreams, I'’m going to have to make some compromises and sacrifices along the way. Because I don'’t have another thirty years to play with. By then I'’ll probably be maneuvering about in a Hoveround, trying to get to the bathroom before I pee in my Depends.
So I'’m changing the game plan some; I still need to build a 12-second motor; that much I'’ve established. A bad-*** motor, no doubt. Better than the last one; nothing less will do. But not at the expense of never finishing it. I need to keep reminding myself that the L’i'l red minx was damn near a twelve-second car…..thirty years ago. As was The Duke after the minx motor transplant. Hopefully any improvements I make this time ‘round will go one better. So, I'’ll have to economize and adapt as I go along. And for now, that means the six pack gets shelved. $1,700.00 will buy a lot of engine parts.
“You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?…”
Clint Eastwood, The Outlaw Josie Wales

***​

Last edited:
Captainkirk said:
Chapter 3

Yank my Crank!

I’ll have to economize and adapt as I go along. And for now, that means the six pack gets shelved. $1,700.00 will buy a lot of engine parts.
“You ain’t a just a-whistlin’ Dixie…”
Clint Eastwood, The Outlaw Josie Wales

***​

Dual Quads? About $600 with used Edelbrock 600 carbs, then you will have an 8-pack!

Ironically enough, PAW does list, under the "classic designs" manifold section (translation; old, obsolete, for collectors who don't care about performance, rather...looks) an Offenhauser 2X4 manifold. The notes state that it will ONLY fit Carter AFB design carbs. By the time I'm done buying all that stuff, I'll have dubious performance specs and a truckload of money into the induction system. Somehow I don't think of eight butterflies standing on end when you mash the throttle as being the most efficient induction system on a street car; hence the six-pack idea. What might be nice is a couple of TQ's end-to end. Anyway, I'll figure that out later, I guess.

Chapter 4

“Ghost in the Machine”

…I DO believe in spooks…I do, I do, I DO!”
The Cowardly Lion; The Wizard of Oz

Ghosts; funny things, they are. People have been recording tales of ghost and spirits since, well, since man first put pencil to paper (or papyrus, for that matter). Now, I’'ve heard some interesting ghostly tales in my time. One in particular that comes to mind is that of my sister’s ex-boyfriend David (who lived down the road from SuperMan, the original owner of the L’i'l Red Minx, if you recall, from part one of this Tale Of Epic Proportions). David lived an old farmhouse sort of out in the boonies. The barn and whatever else was part of the farm was long-gone, just the house and a ramshackle shed-thing remained with a rather large tract of wooded land next to their property. David had all kinds of tales to tell, many of them involving the fact that the farmhouse he lived in was haunted. No, really haunted. Things being moved around, scary noises in the night, things like that. One tale in particular still stands out in my mind.
The house David lived in had been built in the late 1800'’s. Supposedly, during the late twenties or early thirties the owner, by then a reclusive old widower, had died while sitting at the kitchen table drinking a glass of milk, dressed in his skivvies and a tank-top tee shirt (now commonly referred to as a “wife-beater”). I'’m not sure how David knew this; whether by his own research or word of mouth, or whatever. He never told me that. I don'’t believe he made it up, though; all his neighbors seemed to know the stories, too. At any rate, one night a bunch of us had been knocking back a few. Somehow we got on the subject of '“sperrits'”…...not the kind we were drinking, mind you…...and we were telling these tales we'’d heard of, and then David gets real serious all of a sudden and starts to tell us this tale. At the time just he and his mother were living at the house. His mom had come down with a serious case of indigestion in the middle of the night and had gone into the kitchen to get some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and water. As she turned from the sink, she swears she saw an old man, bald as a cue ball on top with long, scraggly locks down the back, sitting at the kitchen table. She screams and drops the glass, shattering it into a million little shards on the kitchen floor, and runs out of the kitchen. About this time, David is awakened by the noise and sees his mom come high-tailing it into the living room, screaming bloody murder. He grabs the shotgun from his room (remember, this was a farmhouse in a different era, folks…. You could keep a loaded shotgun in the house and not be considered “armed and dangerous” with an “arsenal” at your disposal) and asks his mom what'’s wrong. She can barely get the words out. Grasping the shotgun in a death-grip choke hold, he cautiously approaches the kitchen and peers inside.
OK, you'’re thinking; now here comes the funny part…; the punch line! That'’s what we were thinking, anyway. He continued the story. When he peered into the kitchen, he saw exactly what his mother had seen…. Right down to the last detail. He stared at the old man. And the old man turned and looked him square in the eyes. And what he saw in those eyes was not real…...or holy. He said the man's eyes met his, and then he stuck out his long, red tongue and grinned at him; a wicked, evil grin. And being seventeen and having a loaded shotgun between his quaking mitts, he did what any of us would'’ve done in a similar situation. He threw the shotgun on the floor, turned and high-tailed it out of the kitchen, almost knocking his mother down in the process. The two of them ran out the house, jumped in the car, drove to the neighbor’s house and called the county sheriff.
They cautiously returned with the sheriff an hour or so later. Everything was as they'’d left it; shotgun on the floor, door still open, etc. Except…..there is a glass of milk sitting on the table.
Now, the only way someone could’'ve gotten in the kitchen without walking past their open bedroom doors was to come in through the back door, or a window. The sheriff walks all around the house; all secure. No tracks in the snow around the back stoop or windows. Nothing. Just a glass of milk……..still cold.
So we'’re looking at him with these half-cocked grins on our faces waiting for the other shoe to drop. It doesn'’t. And I, for one, can see the color had drained from his face, and hear the tremor in his voice. And I can feel the little hairs on the nape of my neck standing up and I'’ve got goosebumps. For real. Whether or not this actually happened doesn'’t matter…...he believed it did. That much we could see. That much a blind man could see.
Neither one of them could stand to be in that house alone after that, and shortly thereafter his mother sold the farm and bought a little house in town. Creepy.
Why bring all this up? Well, as far as ghosts and “'sperrits'” go, I'’ve never seen one. No floating shadows, objects spinning through the air. I'’ve never heard one either; no ghostly moans, insane laughter, clanking chains, etc. Until tonight, that is…….

***​
So now that I have your rapt, undivided attention, allow me to explain. OK, so I didn'’t have an intake manifold hurl itself through the air at me, or see my Hurst shifting itself or see my crankshaft floating through the air spinning around and around (that would be really cool, though). Actually, I didn'’t see anything. I heard something. I heard a voice from the grave.
This was not the voice of Jacob Marley, (or Bob Marley, for that matter), or even the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present or Future. Nor that of Yorick, (alas), nor any of the famous spirits we all know and love. No, this was a voice I knew quite well.
“Well, it’'s about time you got busy. Saddle up! We'’re burning daylight!”……
(this, as my finger was poised at the garage light switch preparing to engulf the garage in darkness again)……John Wayne? The Duke? But…...you'’re...……
“I’'m WHAT, pilgrim? Say it. Say it, and I'’ll shove those words right back down your throat!”
Ummm...…What I meant to say is, you were sleeping…..
“Does it LOOK like I’'m sleeping? Let'’s MOVE!”
I told you with all honesty that I’'d let you know if and when this car revealed it’s true identity to me. And I knew that it would…. Eventually. I had no idea at the time that The Duke was still present in that hulk under the tarp. I thought, like the real Duke, that identity buried with the dead. But I needed no glass of milk on the table to prove anything…..this thing spoke to me. In John Wayne'’s voice. And as I switched off the light that night, I swear I heard the whirring, ratcheting sound of a six-gun cylinder being spun behind me…….

Richard Boone: “Who'’re you?”
John Wayne: “Jacob McCandles”
RB: “I thought you was dead”
JW: “Not hardly…….”
John Wayne, "Big Jake"

***​

Last edited:
I have not read that much at one set down in a long time, And I will not say how long it took me inn,and would not let me go!!
Captainkirk,Thank's for the good read .
The Duke would be proud,
Congrad's on the motor.

Part II, Chapter 5

“New Beginnings”

Who knew? After all this time, The Duke pops up alive and well in my garage! Drowsy, grumpy, but alive and well, just the same. There was no longer a question now of what color to paint the car…. Now it HAD to be Winchester Metallic Grey. Chew on that one for a moment and you'’ll see why. I mean, Duke…..Winchester…..well, you get the idea. This was exciting. Now I had identity to work with; to model this “build” around. See, the original Duke was simply a “transplant”. A gunslinger with a heart transplant from a l’i'l red minx. This time it would be a ground-up creation. And the thought processes are truly delicious.
The first order of business was, of course, the very heart of the matter…...the motor, to be exact. I was starting fresh, so to speak. The block, pistons, crank and rods were back from Tony'’s. And this was a good place to start. I was beginning the build with a bare cast block with standard 4.04 bore, using the same TRW forged slugs as before. Tony had set me up with new Speed Pro rings, and balanced the forged crank, rods, and pistons along with the resurfaced flywheel and damper as an assembly. I thought this was as good a place to start as any. In February of '’07 I brought one of my heads to Tony for an evaluation of the previous port work and for him to determine the actual cc volume of the heads using the TRW's and adjust accordingly with head gasket thickness and additional cc'’ing, if necessary. After a few moments of consideration, I chose a color for the build. Let’s see…...Chevy Orange, Chrysler Orange, Ford Blue, Ford Red, Black, or Pontiac Blue. It was not a hard decision. I left with two cans of Pontiac Blue, the memories of the minx and The Duke fresh in my mind.
There were still many considerations yet to be made. Induction was one of them. I'’m still dying for a Chrysler Six Pack setup, but other parts and pieces come first. The next decision in line was the cam. Tony looked at my cam briefly, and agreed that it was in decent shape. But the problem was, the lifters weren'’t. Tony explained that mixing an older cam with new lifters could bring disastrous results, and also that the cam grinds today were much better suited toward a particular build, and that once we'’d dialed in the compression ratio, head work already done (and any we might do), along with the proposed induction system and ignition, that we could dial in a new cam selection much better suited to my particular build and chassis/drive train. I reluctantly agreed to shelf the old bumpstick upon which so many unbelievable memories rested, and forge onward. This was, after all, a new dawn, a new era, a new build…..and a New Duke.
While Tony was busy playing with the cylinder head, I turned my attention to the induction possibilities. Yes, a Six Pak would be the most awesome induction system I could perch atop this mountain. Without a doubt. But the costs are staggering for a builder on a budget. Yes, I could obtain a totally new system for about $1800.00. But $1800.00 will buy an awful lot of engine and body work, and I know it. So…, time to review the facts as they are.
The Holley 650 double pumper worked very well. I had it tuned down to a '‘T'’ for the system I was running. But those were different times, as they say. Different manifold, different cam, and possibly different headwork. I'’ve been told that the Torker 340 is a dinosaur from a era long gone by, and that I should strongly consider a dual plane manifold such as a Weiand Stealth or Edelbrock RPM Air Gap. For carbs, I have the Holley 650 DP, the original Carter ThermoQuad, and the Carter AVS off The Duke’'s original motor to choose from as well as any other multitude of new era carbs available, such as the Demon carbs, ProForm, Quick Fuel...……the list goes on. All I have to do now is choose! I must admit, I’'ve become rather intrigued with the look of the ThermoQuad recently. With it’s small, torquey primaries, and secondaries the size of a pie tin, I must admit my curiosity is running wild. And there'’s no saying I can'’t try ‘em all out and see which works the best, either! Man, this could be a whole lotta fun! In fact, I could experiment between carbs and manifolds if I wanted, with little more than a gasket change. This is getting to sound more delicious every second for a motorhead like me.

Last edited:
For those of you still following this thread.....I'm working on it. Be patient. More to come, shortly! :popcorn:

Last edited:
-
Back