Capturing a piece of early 70s Trans Am mojo...what can be done?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
First, I know better (as do most of you) that driving an actual race car on the street would be fun for about three minutes, then the sweltering heat, unrelenting noise and vibration, the punishing ride and handling, and the generally terrible drivability would make this seem like a very bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I would do it any day of the week...but a car that is planned to be kept and loved on a lifetime scale is usually better set up to a slightly more civilized standard.

That said, it's hard to argue with the absolute badassery and beauty of the Trans Am racing cars from the early 1970s. Boss 302 Mustangs, Z/28s, Javelins, AAR 'Cudas, Challenger T/As (and others too) resulted in race cars that were so spectacular that they could make a teenage boy almost forget about girls for a moment or two.

I have always wanted a little bit of this flavor in my own car (acquired when I was a teenaged boy). While the Duster/Demon/Dart Sport was not a body style that was ever raced in Trans Am, I have always suspected that if they were campaigned in that series, A Body coupes would have fared very well thanks to their light weight, favorable weight distribution and excellent suspension. I'm sure some of you guys know the rules a bit better than I do but it's impossible not to imagine the same regulation small block doing MUCH better work in a platform that was 200-300lbs lighter than a 'Cuda or Challenger right off the bat.

For my own car, the mods have always tended in that direction. I started in on chassis stiffening and suspension stuff right away, looked for places to drop weight, added period-correct looking sports car style buckets, selected wheels that were as close as I could get (within my budget), coughed up the cash for a four speed swap, etc. It still feels like the car has a LONG way to go before it really invokes the spirit of those incredible machines.

Has anyone else been inspired by Trans Am racers? What have you done to get a piece of that in your own car?

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 2.27.48 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 2.50.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 2.52.02 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 3.00.47 PM.png

Love where you're going with your Dart. I had a 73 Sport that I've always regretted letting go. I came close to a Hang 10 once. I like the new wheels BTW.

I've been trying to capture that same essence since I bought my Cuda in 1993.

I think you've done a great job already. The minilites, spoilers and gumball on the door really have an impact.

Flares are always a Trans Am trait. But your paint looks nice, I wouldn't have the heart to do it.

My personal preference would be a twin 1974 style snorkel scoop because it reminds me of the T/A scoop more. And less aero impact. That's just me, I still think your scoop is period and fits.

Maybe a race inspired all-business dash cluster would be a plus. Something inspired from the GT-350-R model. Black "camera-case", textured or wrinkled finish. No shiny stuff except for the gauge rings.

You would be able to ditch the cluttered look of the 3 gauge near your knees too.

37-ovc-shelby-gt350r-fd-1.jpg

39-ovc-shelby-gt350r-fd-1.jpg

782093_10152499355668398_3054839456284409304_n-jpg.jpg

202335.png

s689572963557007764_p365_i1_w1100.jpg

818701911.jpg

Last edited:
How do you like those seats? What brand and model?

I have Procar Elite seats and they don't hold me in very good at track. I don't think the smooth vinyl helps either.

Last edited:
While not a duster, a bodies are represented by a 68 Dart in current Historical trans am style races
https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.649117328446416.1073742768.522888894402594&type=3

I am not sure if this is the only a body running in these races but I did get to see it race at the long beach grand prix a few years ago when that race series had a stop here.
I think the biggest drawback (just my opinion and 100% speculation) is that the more narrow body of the A body style vs E body was the biggest factor as to why it wasn't as popular for races where hard cornering was involved. I imagine that with the wider body style of the E body, (again I am only speculating), that teams could have a better "leverage point" against the center of gravity for the lack of a better term. And also not have as much front/rear overhang past the wheels. Again I am not by any means an expert but I always wondered the same thing as to that there had to be a reason why Mopar didn't invest in an "trans am" A body since it was a lighter platform.

While not a duster, a bodies are represented by a 68 Dart in current Historical trans am style races
https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.649117328446416.1073742768.522888894402594&type=3

I am not sure if this is the only a body running in these races but I did get to see it race at the long beach grand prix a few years ago when that race series had a stop here.
I think the biggest drawback (just my opinion and 100% speculation) is that the more narrow body of the A body style vs E body was the biggest factor as to why it wasn't as popular for races where hard cornering was involved. I imagine that with the wider body style of the E body, (again I am only speculating), that teams could have a better "leverage point" against the center of gravity for the lack of a better term. And also not have as much front/rear overhang past the wheels. Again I am not by any means an expert but I always wondered the same thing as to that there had to be a reason why Mopar didn't invest in an "trans am" A body since it was a lighter platform.

Chrysler was one of the first into Trans Am in 1966 with the Barracuda and Dart. Ford put in a bigger factory effort and won the championship. But after that year, they dropped out. They focused money on Nascar and Drag Racing.

There were some privateer's Ron Grable who built his car out of a 67 Dart. Then put 68 parts on it.

Chrysler got back into 1970 Trans Am for the marketing potential. The E-bodies were the new performance "Pony Cars". And even then they backed out mid year with money. Pissed Dan Gurney off forever.

Last edited:
That's where I've been trying to take mine (sorry no other pics at the moment besides my avatar). Granted the 18" wheels aren't exactly accurate but I'm building my car for performance first, looks second and needed good selection of modern performance tires. I've done a good bit of suspension mods (all retaining the factory setup, no silly coilover conversions) all for the sake of handling and high-speed performance. Needs bigger brakes (and rear discs) and good shocks but the saddest part is I'm still running a 904 auto trans :( I do have a long-term goal of swapping in a TKX or T56 overdrive manual.

I currently have the (incorrect for my car) dual-snorkel scoop and really want to add a front chin spoiler/splitter and a rear ducktail spoiler. @MRGTX where did you get yours? That thing looks fan-frickin-tastic! Same goes for the chin spoiler, slightly shorter than what I'd want but similar style.

Ma Mopar made bigger money and developed great R&D drag racing...until they didn't.

First, I know better (as do most of you) that driving an actual race car on the street would be fun for about three minutes, then the sweltering heat, unrelenting noise and vibration, the punishing ride and handling, and the generally terrible drivability would make this seem like a very bad idea. Don't get me wrong, I would do it any day of the week...but a car that is planned to be kept and loved on a lifetime scale is usually better set up to a slightly more civilized standard.

That said, it's hard to argue with the absolute badassery and beauty of the Trans Am racing cars from the early 1970s. Boss 302 Mustangs, Z/28s, Javelins, AAR 'Cudas, Challenger T/As (and others too) resulted in race cars that were so spectacular that they could make a teenage boy almost forget about girls for a moment or two.

I have always wanted a little bit of this flavor in my own car (acquired when I was a teenaged boy). While the Duster/Demon/Dart Sport was not a body style that was ever raced in Trans Am, I have always suspected that if they were campaigned in that series, A Body coupes would have fared very well thanks to their light weight, favorable weight distribution and excellent suspension. I'm sure some of you guys know the rules a bit better than I do but it's impossible not to imagine the same regulation small block doing MUCH better work in a platform that was 200-300lbs lighter than a 'Cuda or Challenger right off the bat.

For my own car, the mods have always tended in that direction. I started in on chassis stiffening and suspension stuff right away, looked for places to drop weight, added period-correct looking sports car style buckets, selected wheels that were as close as I could get (within my budget), coughed up the cash for a four speed swap, etc. It still feels like the car has a LONG way to go before it really invokes the spirit of those incredible machines.

Has anyone else been inspired by Trans Am racers? What have you done to get a piece of that in your own car?

View attachment 1716038728

View attachment 1716038740

View attachment 1716038741

View attachment 1716038742
Trans-Am racing in my opinion, was probably the best kind of racing there was. I still watch T/A racing, although modern Mustangs, Camaros & a couple of Challengers, it's still cool to watch cars sliding around corners, just awesome stuff. I will be Modding my Duster in a very similar way as you. Nice looking ride.

All 4 manufactures were in Trans Am in 1970. And many of their sub brands too: Chevy, Ford, Pontiac, Dodge, Plymouth, AMC.

But in 1971, they all bailed except AMC.

The economy in 1971 took a downturn and racing budgets were being cut. I'm sure SCCA has some blame too as they weren't really experienced with this level of manufacture involvement.

Nice 73! My dad had a 74 and I never liked the nose but everything you did to this car is perfect in my opinion.

Oh and you perfectly described what driving my Factory Five Racing Cobra that I built was like. Talk about HOT! I literally drove with ear plugs in my ears as well since the exhaust was like right next to my left ear.
IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

Is that your junk? That's a damn good lookin car, beak and all! I like it. I think that's where the pro touring stuff came from was the Trans Am racers. I'm not nuts about the pro touring crap, but I think you nailed "somewhere in between" enough that it's just right.

A gumball on the corner of hood might be cool too.

Maybe a taller front air dam with brake duct cutouts. I really like that DC spoiler. Extended version of same thing?

Adjustable rear spoiler extension?:

image-jpeg.87449

my junk..

attachment.jpg

wNumTrQ.jpg

Last edited:
I don't get the disdain for the 73-76 Dart front end styling. The way some people complain, you'd think it was as ugly as a 60-62 Valiant front end.
I like the 73-76 front end more than the 70-72.
Then again, I like a woman with some fuzz and no tattoos.

The scoops, spoilers, wheel type and decals, that you have got going on, are all a great echoes of Trans Am racing....I'd go also with side exit exhaust like the T/A and AAR.............But let me tell you this those seats are awesome......please tell us where you got them.....those would work great in a project car of mine. Cool car Man!!!!!! ****oops, I found the thread on the seats from Jan 2020, thxs for the info****

Last edited:
How do you like those seats? What brand and model?

I have Procar Elite seats and they don't hold me in very good at track. I don't think the smooth vinyl helps either.
The seats are "Cobra Classic RS Forty" ordered through HMS Motorsports. They work approximately as well as I had hoped. Very sports car-like. The side bolstering is VASTLY better than a stock style seat and they hold you in well but not at true race car levels. I haven't tried the Procar Elite but based on the looks, I don't believe the Cobras would be better at the track.

The biggest benefit of the seat swap was the 30-40lbs that they save compared to the bench.

You could be right about the width of the Abodies being a disadvantage compared to the wider Ebodies. Regardless, Trans Am was the most popular form of racing in the US between 1966 and 1972 (?) and regardless, I suspect that Chrysler wanted to use that platform to sell the upscale products.

That '68 Dart is incredible. Does anyone know the background on that car? Was it raced back in the day or is this just a car that is run in these vintage races? Was it factory-backed?

I currently have the (incorrect for my car) dual-snorkel scoop and really want to add a front chin spoiler/splitter and a rear ducktail spoiler. @MRGTX where did you get yours? That thing looks fan-frickin-tastic! Same goes for the chin spoiler, slightly shorter than what I'd want but similar style.
Your car is looking great!

The chin spoiler was offered by Direct Connection. I bought it from someone on the forum 7 years or so back. They are pretty hard to come by, unfortunately. Someday, I think I want to try my hand at making a fiberglass mold and make some copies of that thing. My rear spoiler is a fiberglass copy and there's at least one consistent source of those but nobody seems to offer the chin spoiler.

I don't get the disdain for the 73-76 Dart front end styling. The way some people complain, you'd think it was as ugly as a 60-62 Valiant front end.
I like the 73-76 front end more than the 70-72.
Then again, I like a woman with some fuzz and no tattoos.

LOL... well said.

Honestly, I get it. The "beak" would not have been my first choice but back when I was 17 years old in the mid 1990s, I almost passed out when I found this Dart. The thought "ugly" never crossed my mind! In the years since, it has grown on me and I quite like it. Is it a styling masterpiece? No...but regardless, it's my car. I wouldn't trade it for a pristine Hemi Superbird. No joke.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one on the forum who feels that way about their Mopar.

-
Back