Car Audio in Early-A bodies?

-

porksoda

Reaction score
Well ever since I bought my 66 dart I told myself I want to put atleast a aftermarket stereo in it. I am thinking in the glove box or making a little console on the ground for it? I dunno yet. Thats why I want some ideas. lol
Also maybe upgrade the speaker/speakers in the dash and maybe install some 6x9 in the rear deck.
Have any of you all done this before?
I would really appreciate pictures of how your set-up looks.
Also is it a pain in the but running new wire for everything and installing new speakers?
I have worked with lots of car audio before but not on anything this early of a model.
Anyone know what size of speaker is in the dash?
And how do I even access it?
I want to keep the factory AM radio in the dash to keep the old looks.
I am mainly concerned about the audio because once it is done I would like to take trips to car shows in this car. I would like to install Sirius/XM radio.
I needs some options instead of having only a AM radio.
Thanks guys!

This is the path I'm taking for the car I'm working on now.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=152662

The front speaker is a 6x9 with a special adapter bracket. You just need to stand on your head under the dash to access it! Running wires is easy in these old cars just pull those aluminum strips along the sill and you can run tehm next to the factory wiring.

This link might giive you some ideas for speakers. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=129759 the first page has a photo of your setup modified for twin speakers.

Mines in the glove box,fm,cd,with a remote, bazooka sub in the trunk with amp and 2 6x9's sounds real good and everything is hidden.
I'll take some pic's this weekend and post them.
:burnout:

For my 70 Dart I have a Clarion navigation head unit and MB Quart 6x9 component speakers for the rear deck. I will mount the Alpine amp in the trunk and it will push 150 watts rms to the 6x9's.

This should sound really decent in the dart.

I've been doing stereo sales and installations for 17 years and this setup will prove to be very nice in the Dart without spending way too much money. Though I would normally run four speakers and a sub in most of my own vehicles, but this is the route I took with this particular car.

In your car I would stay away from putting any speakers in the dash and simply start with a decent set of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck. Hook that up to a nice CD player with aux inputs for iPod and mp3 memory device. This will also allow for a Sirius setup as well. If you wanted it to play louder and cleaner at a higher volume then I would add an amp to the system.

Oh yeah hide the head unit in the glove box or stick it under the dash. Many come with remotes so you don't always have to reach to turn up the volume.

One other thought is using a Kicker volume control and running a iPod or mp3 player through that. It's a small unit that can be hidden anywhere. It has two volume controls that you could hide under the dash or drivers seat. This would require an amplifier to be used and I would run with the same speaker configuration.

That's my opinion anyway. I could get this stuff for you and get everything at a really good price. The only problem I see with that is you would have to pay for it to be shipped to me and then shipped to you. That and sales tax would make it cheaper for you to purchase it online I'm afraid.

My dart has a bracket under the seat for a stereo/8track that was removed years ago. Still havent figured what I want todo with mine yet. Will probably use the mount under the seat for something. the exhaust is enough music for me right now. The AM Radio/orig speaker still work some of the time.

I have a 63 Dart, here's what I did I ordered a small amp, and replacement speaker from Woody's custom shop 1-877-435-6911 www.woodyscustomshop.com. I have an Ipod with FM, I replaced the speaker with the new dual cone, bolts right up, hid the amp under the dash, ran the wires to the glove box. Works great, still have the Am ,plus Ipod, cost excluding Ipod was about $120.. I have no affiliation with him found him on Ebay, good luck, Jim.

I think the factory dash speaker is a 5"X7"-but leave it hooked up to the factory AM radio (they work better that todays am radios). Put a nice pair of 6X9 in the rear deck shelf. If you want to hide the modern stereo use a remote head mounted on a locking hinge so it will flip down from under the dash. And then you can flip it back up so it is out of the way. To me a remote control for a radio that is only a foot away is just wrong.

Me..... I could care less about loud music. I like the sound of my engine, and car when I drive. No extra weight, not a thing, that isn't neccassary. That said.... when I work in my garage I have a nice set up, with Satelite Radio and all. Just Me.

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

Mines in the glove box,fm,cd,with a remote, bazooka sub in the trunk with amp and 2 6x9's sounds real good and everything is hidden.
I'll take some pic's this weekend and post them.
:burnout:
Here's a couple shitty cel pic's but ya get the idea!!
Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• IMG00156-20110904-1749.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG00157-20110904-1749.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG00158-20110904-1749.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG00159-20110904-1751.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 408
Question for you all...will any B-body radio fit in an A-body? I am looking to repalce the cassette radio that came in mine with an original unit..I have XM isntalled and so coudl care less if the radio actually works or not. I found a B-body radio from a coronet that looks right but want to be sure before I spend the money on something I have no use for. I have a 65 barracuda. Any suggestions or help please respond or PM me please.

i am running 2 5.25 lanzar 2 ways in the door and 2 6x9 lanzar in the package tray in little boxes i have a 400w 4 channel amp for the accoustics and a 800w pioneer mono wired at 2 ohms and 2 - 10 inch cerwin vegas in a bandpass box

all in a 64 dodge dart gt 2dr

Anyone have any ideas for my 65 dart convert for rear speaker positions without hacking the interior up

-
Back