Car cover for transport

-

wirenut

Reaction score
Has anybody had any luck with a particular cover when transporting on a open trailer?

Just my personal opinion but if it's an extended trip, forget the cover altogether and stash it in the trunk. It will beat the heck out of your paint job at highway speeds.

If you like the paint I would not put a cover on it while the car is being transported on an open trailer....

If it's a nice car, you can use a enclosed trailer. I work at a dealership and see them all the time. I also see cars that come in off the road on an open trailer and they are so dirty you can't hardly tell what color they are. I also vote NO, on the car cover.

Mfgrs transport brand new over long distances on open trailers. Most of them apply a chemical protectant coating. I dont know what it is exactly. I know there is another chemical provided to remove the coating. Google might find more info.

Painter's tape on key areas may help. Peels off nice and easy and won't leave any marks.
Depends how much you are trying to cover and how long you need it on there though.

you can buy the shrink wrap that they use to wrap bulk items on pallets

have seen this on several cars going to ISCA car shows in the winter, stays tight on the body and doesn't buffer the paint at speed.

But personally I would not use anything. When we took my Dart to Carlisle my buddy that towed it over for me since i had my 15,000 mile 81 Imperial in my enclosed hauler built a cover for the front of his trailer so it worked as a rock guard. Got rained on on the way there and the car was really dirty. Little soap & water and it was back to looking good. Now why did I trailer, 10 hour drive and didn't have all the bugs worked out. Ended up with a damaged motor, so better to tow it than rent a trailer to tow it home.

Unless you have a few miles on your car and are sure it will go the distance then taking an insurance policy (trailer) with you is a good thing to do.

Just my personal opinion but if it's an extended trip, forget the cover altogether and stash it in the trunk. It will beat the heck out of your paint job at highway speeds.

Don't use a cover when transporting. A guy had his Superbird painted once and used a cover when transporting it on a trailer and the cover beat up his brand new paint job.

Never cover when hauling on an open trailer.

-
Back