(car enthusiast)That thing got a 340 in it? (me)Its got a 360 (car enthusiast) :sad1:

-
They also put on a sad face when they look under my hood and see it was a SMALL BLOCK that just spank them:D:D:D

you really should quit racing yourself. lol it helps if someone is in the other lane.

Sitting in the coffee shop this morning, minding my own business, reading the newspaper.

Guy come up to me and asks, "Is that your Mustang out there in the parking lot?"

:eek:ops: :violent1:

I think there were not enough HP 360's produced. They only produced about 3900 Dusters with the HP 360 in 1974. It was really only one year, and after that they put converters on them ect. So, most guys have never even seen a factory 360 A- body in person let alone ride in one. 340 was produced in much greater numbers, so it gets the attention. Same power as a 71 340, but don't tell anyone. It's a secret. Just like other A-body cars light, fast , and cheap! Best kept muscle car secret...

340/360HP same power. The 360 has more power than the 72/73 340. The numbers from Chrysler say that. In 71 they were rating horsepower different. So in 74 the HP 360 had 20ft lbs. more TQ than a 72/73 340. Now, lets calculate 71 340 vs the 74 360 Duster. If you try to determine the loss from going to the net rating, you will see they are nearly identical with the 340 making a few more HP and the 360 making a little more torque. Which would you rather have?

No. In 1972 (Chrysler)horsepower ratings were 'net' horsepower. 1971 and earlier were rated 'gross' horsepower. Net horsepower was measured at the crankshaft with all accessories hooked up. Gross horsepower was measured at the flywheel with no accessories and usually had headers.

The 360s in the 73 and 74 Mopars were no slouches. Even in the E bodies. Equipped with 3:91s and a 4spd they still were a worthy opponents.

But remember...back in those days nobody ran stock cars. And they removed all the smog equipment. They weren't collector cars then so everybody modified everything. Those were great days my friends.

But remember...back in those days nobody ran stock cars. And they removed all the smog equipment. They weren't collector cars then so everybody modified everything. Those were great days my friends.[/QUOTE]

yes they were great days, sadly never to be repeated.

you really should quit racing yourself. lol it helps if someone is in the other lane.

Oh,there always is someone in the other lane and if they're running a lowly 383 the next time i see them is on their trailer heading home after being spank by a SMALL BLOCK:D:D

Sitting in the coffee shop this morning, minding my own business, reading the newspaper.

Guy come up to me and asks, "Is that your Mustang out there in the parking lot?"

:eek:ops: :violent1:

I had one of the teenagereasons at church ask me the other day "so how's that Mustang coming along?"

I would call that car 'bitchin'. A 70s term I can't help but use looking your Falcon!

Thanks Guys....Put a lot of heart in that car building it. The Valiant is back east somewhere now. Sold it 1 1/2 years ago.....You know the original word 'Bitchin'" was actually "Twitchin'" I grew up in Azusa Calif. in the 50's, Then Covina.It was what we said for a few years, till it got changed to "Bitchin".
I used the word so much, describing all the cool hot rods in So.Cal., that they nick named me "Twitchin'"....True story.

...now your issue may be because a 360 never came in a Dart....so the uniformed would never expect it.

I guess You're not counting Dart Sports?The whole knock on 360"s is purely
born of the ignorance of the average Joe.The 340 IS just a large bore 318 w/LARGER
ports&valves.The basic 340 package was hot,the basic 360 package was not,thus the
generic rep.However,save for the forged crank units,there isn't anything that makes
the 340 better that can't be simply bolted onto the 360 at rebuild time for no more$
Higher compression?Check.Bigger cam?Check.Heads w/2.02 valves?Check.Proven
TQ intake?ChecK. The 340 had the highest valve area to disp./cyl. of any inline arr.
headed eng. in mopars stable,largely responsible w/the taller than 318 head ports
for the top end balls,esp. w/the "X" castings which were generous.
This is what I like to say anytime someone says "Oh its just a 360",wanna run?
I also liked to run my 383(same, is that a 440?,Oh...)against those "superior"
fan favorites, who just couldn't understand how they got their *** handed to them
by the "ordinary" 383 that came out of a coronet.:glasses7:

-
Back