Car Insurance

-

6kevin8

Reaction score
I was recently in an accident in my dart and it was a nightmare dealing with AAA when trying to receive the value of the car. I am curious to hear who you guys have as your insurance providers for these cars. Just some information about how I will be using the car: The car will be worked on throughout the year on occasional weekends when time permits. The car will be driven frequently to and from school/work (probably half of the week or less). I am also in Irvine, CA and people drive awfully here.

Hagerty requires that the vehicle be kept in a locked garage, and not to be used as a "daily driver" (need to have another vehicle registered). Don't know about Grundy, but most collectable car insurers are that way.

The issue will be the "work and school". Most collector policies do not want the risk of the cars being used for such reasons and can deny coverage if a claim arises in those two situations.

I've got Grundy on my duster $305.00 a year for $30k agreed value(can drive it all I want) know a few with Hagerty put in claims and months later still waiting to collect..

Hagerty requires that the vehicle be kept in a locked garage, and not to be used as a "daily driver" (need to have another vehicle registered). Don't know about Grundy, but most collectable car insurers are that way.
The car will be kept in my single car garage, but my dad might put the insurance in his name and he has more than one car. I also live with my girlfriend and use her car quite often.

The issue will be the "work and school". Most collector policies do not want the risk of the cars being used for such reasons and can deny coverage if a claim arises in those two situations.
I am usually carpooling to school in my girlfriend's car, but sometimes I just like to drive my car. Would that still likely be an issue?

I've got Grundy on my duster $305.00 a year for $30k agreed value(can drive it all I want) know a few with Hagerty put in claims and months later still waiting to collect..
Well that certainly makes Grundy seem more attractive than Hagerty.

Thank you everyone for your responses. While I am currently going to school, my dad ultimately made the decision on the insurance. I appreciate all of your feedback.

I use State Farm and a Stated Value Policy for full coverage w/$250 deductible. They only required pictures of the car and requested that I hang on to all receipts. The car is a '66 Barracuda, insured for $20k (I know, it is not worth that much...) in Minnesota. I can drive it when I want, where I want. When the car is not in use (winter, etc.) I call them and "withdraw it from service" and the full coverage is $10 a month when not in use, $60 when in use. there are multiple cars, a house, etc. with State Farm, I'm in my 40's and married so all the fun discounts.

A couple of years ago I shopped Hagerty's and the like, and when I asked specific questions, such as, I am driving it to work, or to get ice cream with the family and am hit by an uninsured driver, am I covered? All of them told me I would not be with their plans. Could be because I live in MN. Either way, be sure to ask specific scenario questions when shopping.

Sometimes it can cost a lot of money to save a few bucks.

Last edited:
The real issue is, when someone else runs into you, it's THERE insurance company you have to deal with. And most of them don't know anything about collector cars, and value them as junk.

I'm not there yet but I have progressive and they cover classic cars, not sure if there are stipulations on mileage, but like I said I already have two cars with them so might as well have them cover the classic, another company to check out.

This topic gets beat to death every few months.
They all have their ups and downs.
I used Hagerty for a while. They wanted pictures of the my car in the garage that I was keeping it in. At the time I was renting an old body shop that had closed. When I submitted the pics, they told me that I had taken pics while it was in the shop and that didn't count. I explained the situation, and gave them the address and told them to come look. They responded with my address was a business and I need to have a private garage. I got feed up and found American Collectors. No issues with them at all. In fact I had to file a claim last summer as Bambi decided to commit suicide in front of my Dart. Adjuster was out the next day, I had a check a couple days after that. Too easy.

State Farm did mine when I was 17, and that was only....oh man am I old...worth a look though.
Thanks, I edited my post a bit. I'll check it out. The cars in my name, Id like to add my son as a driver. Probably better to start a new post.

I am an adjuster in my day job... most people shop price not coverage..
Just make sure to get at least 300,000 liability, comprehensive, collision, and uninsured motorist. Add on towing, etc if you want
Ask for stated value of what ever you feel your car is worth..

was the car considered a collectible back then?
It was 1994. They did freak out when they received the pictures though. The guy I bought it from was going for the '70s gasser look (straight axle, 440, tunnel ram, 4 speed, 391 Suregrip).
20180718_151807.jpg

-
Back