Car Lift Information/Suggestions

-

KP

Reaction score
Looking to information/suggestions on selecting a car lift.

2-Post VS 4-Post

Pros & Cons

Etc.

Depends on what you want, I guess. Mine is a 2 post chassis lift, which means that all suspension is loose, hanging, accessable. I can no longer crawl around under cars, so for me, mine is an absolute if I'm to do any work at all.

I don't have a shop, so I built a steel frame and sat it right on the ground.

2ds47zq.jpg

ejzsiu.jpg

2wm4e2u.jpg

2ry6jwz.jpg

id9n5w.jpg

both have pro's and cons.
four post lifts well the wheels aint hanging so its a bit harder if you have to do suspension work. but the bottom is easy to work on.
but its easy if you have to get into the car.
the two post lift... well try to get into that car , or even open the doors.
not to mention brake and fuel line work

2 post is for maintenance and 4 post is for storage but can be adapted for maintenance especially with the addition of a sliding bridge jack. If you want to do some research check out garagejournal.com and Bendpak's site.

I love my 4 post BendPak , It is a 4 post lift..... A perfect garage would have a two post and a four post lift.
I got the bridge jack with mine and I can do anything I need to to to my rear wheel drive cars so far.
A two post is ideal if you drop the engine and K-member from underneath....

I got mine from www.ASEDeals.com

Donnie

Attachments

• My Cuda Hanging sheetmetal Resized 0002.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Suspension and dash resized0051.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 193
I like my 4 posts

Attachments

• lift003 (Medium).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 189
  • lift038 (Medium).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 193
  • new347 (Medium).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF1777 (Medium).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 177
Nice set up Tony!! One other advantage to a 4 poster is it is not required to be bolted to the floor and in fact even comes with wheels so it can be moved around your shop if need be (not so easy for one guy to do however).

With a 4-post if it had a sliding bridge jack could an engine and K-member be dropped from underneath?

I guess another think I was thinking about as we get older having to get down and line up the arms on a 2-post. Has anyone thoughts about this one?

Its easier to get a car up with a 4 post lift. No kneeling. A 4 post lift with an air/hydraulic sliding bridge jack is going to be more $$$ than a 2 poster.

With a 4-post if it had a sliding bridge jack could an engine and K-member be dropped from underneath?

I guess another think I was thinking about as we get older having to get down and line up the arms on a 2-post. Has anyone thoughts about this one?

I installed the engine and trans from under the car like factory with my 4 post lift. You have to raise the lift some with engine, K member and trans on rollers, lower lift but not all the way to floor then slide cherry picker in and lift into place.

The sliding jack bridge was not available or mentioned when I bought mine. That would be a BIG plus but I built my car on the 4 post without it.

It would be nice to have both, but most do not have room or can afford both.

One thing I don't like about the 2 post is if the vehicle isn't balanced they can fall off, and you have to get under the car to slide the lift arms under the car.

IF you get the 4 post get the longer aluminum ramps and if you have room get the bigger lift, never know what you might want to raise up.

My 7000 lb lift has 13' runners, well have 3/4 ton extended cab 8' bed Dodge Ram and it will not go on it, sure would have been nice instead of laying on the ground to change the trans cooler or fuel lines. Just a few dollars more could have gotten the 9,000 lb lift and the runners are 14' long and it is wider.

No matter what you buy you will be happy you got it.

I installed the engine and trans from under the car like factory with my 4 post lift. You have to raise the lift some with engine, K member and trans on rollers, lower lift but not all the way to floor then slide cherry picker in and lift into place.

The sliding jack bridge was not available or mentioned when I bought mine. That would be a BIG plus but I built my car on the 4 post without it.

It would be nice to have both, but most do not have room or can afford both.

One thing I don't like about the 2 post is if the vehicle isn't balanced they can fall off, and you have to get under the car to slide the lift arms under the car.

IF you get the 4 post get the longer aluminum ramps and if you have room get the bigger lift, never know what you might want to raise up.

My 7000 lb lift has 13' runners, well have 3/4 ton extended cab 8' bed Dodge Ram and it will not go on it, sure would have been nice instead of laying on the ground to change the trans cooler or fuel lines. Just a few dollars more could have gotten the 9,000 lb lift and the runners are 14' long and it is wider.

No matter what you buy you will be happy you got it.

Thank You!

..... 2 post is if the vehicle isn't balanced they can fall off......,

I think this might be a little extreme...... I managed to pull the 273/ 904 out of my 67, and drop in the 360/ 727 without tipping it off the hoist.

Ditto swapping the 7 1/4 for the Ford 9" and spring work.

IN FACT I checked it as I was doing the pull, and found no problem

-
Back