Car lift

-

Toolman

Reaction score
2-post or 4-post lift for the garage? Pro's and con's of each? Anyone have either one? Any alternative ways for an older (not so limber anymore) guy to safely work under the mopar (or my truck). Thanks in advance for any input guys...

pros of a 2 post you can take all the wheels off where as 4 post you'll need to jack up once its on there. also 4 posters can be a little trickier to work on things close to the frame and body that are inline with the wheels. There is a reason most workshop use 2 posters.

I say get the 4 post. You can do anything regarding removing the wheels on the ground on jack stands with a roll around seat.

I have a Forward 10K 2 post lift. The good of 2 post is clear access to the under side and removing the wheels. The bad is to lift car you have to crawl around to get arms in the right place to safely raise the car. With my 2500 Ram not bad, the wife's 300c I have 2x8 cut to drive up on to get arms under the car and not destroy the ground affects. Hard on an old crippled man!
What ever you chose don't cheap out on a lift! Your life depends on it! The concrete is also something to consider on which lift is best.

4 post, drive up on it no getting on your knees to put the arms out on two post .Buy the hydraulic jack that slides the length of lift to raise car to take off tires.One of the best things i have bought.

Thanks guys for all your advice...I am new to this forum and am impressed already with all the collective knowledge available here...just have to ask.

I had the same question. My brother has a 4 post and a friend has the two. After working with both I decided on the two and purchased the tripod stands for loading the suspension. 4 cost a lot more money by the time you add the sliding jack and they take up a lot of room. JMO my #9000 was $1900 out the door.

If you decide on the 4 posts with tracks to drive onto, you'll want a mirror on the wall ahead of it.

I did the 4 post 9000# Bendpak. It came with the castors. A vehicle can be loaded and lowered onto the castors, then the whole vehicle/lift combo can be pushed over to another bay if needed. A sliding jack will be needed to get one axle up for work like brake jobs. Lifts make oil changes, and other work super easy. Creeper is gathering dust now.

Attachments

• maggieonlift.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 754
  • rzronlift.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 727
I went to an auto class in high school, we had two post models that I loved using. They were quick to set, and I could always fit better under the two post, then the four post we had.

The other thing to consider if it a 2 post is the leg type the free standing style require a rather thick pad of concrete were as the ones that have leg supports that run out from the base can be used on a lot thinner concrete base as they spread the weight further. Just something to keep in end if buying used as they proberly wont tell you those sorts of things.

For what its worth, I installed a old style center post lift. Nice because no stationary poles to work around when not in use. One down side is it makes removing transmission a little more difficult but how many times does that happen. Super easy to work on suspension oil changes and waxing the rocker panels. Just an option.

all a matter of what you intend to use it for. I chose 2 post, because I wanted the most flexible lift for doing whatever kind of work I wanted to do. Haven't found a need yet that couldn't be met on the 2 post for anything I work on.

As a Professional technician I prefer the two post but we have a drive on lift for (similar to a 4 post) for some operations. I purchased a 2 post for my home garage. As stated above your concrete needs to be up to snuff I have 3 foot pilings under the post to cure any problems with the concrete and also had ten foot ceilings instead of 8 feet. I wished I had gone at least another foot or two. Got mine from Eagle in Greensboro NC $1600.00 installed myself. Good luck on your choice.

2-post or 4-post lift for the garage? Pro's and con's of each? Anyone have either one? Any alternative ways for an older (not so limber anymore) guy to safely work under the mopar (or my truck). Thanks in advance for any input guys...

I'm running an Atlas II Post from Greg Smith equipment. I've got the 10,000 lb commerical, it was just over 2grand, installed it ourselves. Our concrete is the highest grade of fiber reinforced concrete we could get at the time. Was a pain to drill through for the anchors, but the rest was easy with the help of our forklift.

If I was going to long term store a car over another, I'd get a 4 post, other wise, the 2 post beats the 4 post most any other time. I recommend the lift jack stands for safety reasons if you're working on a long vehicle on a 2 post, we've had no issues or concerns, but it helps with peace of mind as I don't ever fully trust a 4 ton suspended object.

Two post is great for subframing-everything is out in the open

I have the Bend pay 10,000 lbs 2 post asymmetrical clear floor. It wasn't cheap, but I can do anything on it . Also takes way less room when not being used. Asymmetrical rotates the posts so you can open the doors much more. The clear floor is great, in case you have to push a car into the bay. There's no lump on the floor for the cables to have to push the car over.

Don't know why you can't. Just make sure it is on the locks, not just held up by hydraulic pressure.

Anyone ever store a car on a two post lift for the Winter?

It depends on the height of car I have about 2 to 3 inches to store the Challenger under the Demon.

Attachments

• DSC01088.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC01094.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC01092.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 470
I use a bendpak 9000lb 2 post extra wide lift. I have the low ceiling model so the cables and hose run across the floor under a plate. I only have 10 ft ceiling. Been using it everyday for 8 years or so with only changing the cables once.

I want to get a 4 post lift in the other garage to make oil change and tranny services easier. Its a pain when a customer only wants an oil change on a truck and you have to set the lift up.

Here is my 2 post 10ft ceiling height. Tall enough to walk under a car. For a truck I just sit on a office chair. Works out good enough.

I use to stack cars for storage until I built my 24x41building

-
Back