Car lift

-
I use a couple of four posts from Direct Lift. Love them.

Attachments

• lift003 (Medium).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF4792 (Medium).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 288
  • new347 (Medium).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 276
Thank you for the pic Tony!!! Now when my future wife asks where I'm going to keep all my cars I'll just say on lifts like this guy :)

We had both in our shop and the 2 post asymmetrical is the most versatile. Go with the heavier version if you plan on picking up diesel trucks and your budget will tolerate. Trans and front end work is way better. 4 post is great for storage and oil changes.

You should store a car with suspension hanging. Springs sag when left compressed.

Go into any dealership and the mechanics are using 2 post. There is a reason for it.

You should store a car with suspension hanging. Springs sag when left compressed.

Thats what I always thought to. But from what I've read/been told you are over extending the suspension. The suspension was designed to have weight pushing down and compressing it vs. pulling down and extending it.

Thats what I always thought to. But from what I've read/been told you are over extending the suspension. The suspension was designed to have weight pushing down and compressing it vs. pulling down and extending it.
It depends on the car. On some later model imports with strut suspensions there are numerous cases of lifting the car for a extended period of time for repairs and the struts will lock up and not compress when the vehicle is lowered. There seems to be no specific pattern to it. I suspect it has to do with the internal design of the strut.

On older crocks with non-strut suspension it should not matter.

I installed a Challenger 9000 lb 2 post Asymmetrical when I built my shop 15 yrs ago. Best all around lift IMO. I have 14 ft ceiling in that bay, so I utilized 2 ft extensions. We use it about every other day and I have had 10,000 dually's on it as well. Heck, my 92 D250 Cummins hung on it for a week and a half while I rebuilt the transmission in shop. Here is a Mopar Pic

Attachments

• 119-1954_IMG.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 257
2 posts need to be bolted to floor. So like mentioned earlier you need good concrete. Also if you have pipe in the floor for floor heat, it could be an issue.

I ve spent about equal number of years on both. I prefer the 4 poster, esp now as Im getting older. Like a fella said get at least one rolling jack. I used one as an elevator as well to put stuff into the mezzanine. Yeah the posts can be a pita in a small bay, but trying to get into the front seat of a car on a 2-poster is,arguably,worse. And you still have 2 posts in the way. I think in my personal garage Ima gonna go with the Max-Jax. Easy up/ easy down, park em in the corner, alternate mounting points, bolt on rotisserie brackets, engine stand, etc. Only a 4 ft lift, but I think I can make it work. IDK. Worth a try I think.

I've worked with every type of hoist,, and I purchased the 2 post for versatility..

Some mentioned having to bend and set the legs,, well you gotta do more than that on a drive-on, to set stands under it to take a wheel off....

There's just more room to work,, with lotsa elbow room, and if a leg is in the way,, you can re-adjust it..

jmo..

-
Back