Car Lifts

-
We had both in our shop. No possible way to do a FWD eng and trans out on a 4 post. Buy a pair jack stands. When you unbolt the eng cradle is when the car falls off the back

We had both in our shop. No possible way to do a FWD eng and trans out on a 4 post. Buy a pair jack stands. When you unbolt the eng cradle is when the car falls off the back

Not Good!

i've looked at a number of 4 post lifts for an intended spring purchase. the one that i'm going to buy is called "Backyard Buddy" made in Dayton, Ohio. i like its design because it uses four square boxed verticle posts as the legs with the platform sliding up and down on each of the posts via square boxes at each end of the platform. i like the safety lock also on this design. they use a large rectangular steel block that inserts into square holes in each post as the platform goes up the post. this steel block inserts about an inch into the square post so when the platform comes down on it it is impossible for the platform to accidently drop. also the square platform blocks on the end of the platform going up and down on the verticle posts makes the entire unit very stable. so stable that the feet of the posts do not have to be bolted to the floor. Backyard Buddy has a number options for this lift like roller casters, platform jacks, drip trays, etc. there are a couple of other component designs that i also like on this unit. it is more expensive than most of the other brands. last i checked it's close to $5k. but it looks like the very best design for use and safety that i've seen.

:worthles:
i've looked at a number of 4 post lifts for an intended spring purchase. the one that i'm going to buy is called "Backyard Buddy" made in Dayton, Ohio. i like its design because it uses four square boxed verticle posts as the legs with the platform sliding up and down on each of the posts via square boxes at each end of the platform. i like the safety lock also on this design. they use a large rectangular steel block that inserts into square holes in each post as the platform goes up the post. this steel block inserts about an inch into the square post so when the platform comes down on it it is impossible for the platform to accidently drop. also the square platform blocks on the end of the platform going up and down on the verticle posts makes the entire unit very stable. so stable that the feet of the posts do not have to be bolted to the floor. Backyard Buddy has a number options for this lift like roller casters, platform jacks, drip trays, etc. there are a couple of other component designs that i also like on this unit. it is more expensive than most of the other brands. last i checked it's close to $5k. but it looks like the very best design for use and safety that i've seen.
:worthles:Or a link

here it what i use good for most things it is called a KWIK LIFT you need 11 plus foot high ceiling to use a 2 or 4 post lift this lift the cars tires are 24 inches in the air

Attachments

• chrysler@carlisle 2012 249.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 270
  • chrysler@carlisle 2012 250.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 268
  • chrysler@carlisle 2012 251.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 273
  • chrysler@carlisle 2012 252.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 282
here it what i use good for most things it is called a KWIK LIFT you need 11 plus foot high ceiling to use a 2 or 4 post lift this lift the cars tires are 24 inches in the air
Thats pretty neat what are they worth??? It like ramps only better...Bill

Thats pretty neat what are they worth??? It like ramps only better...Bill

its called a kwik lift, yes much like a long set of car ramps,,, adjustabe in length,, the price last time i seen was around 1400.00 shiped and powdered,, a few color choices,, and available in bare metal for 999.00 last i heard,,,i was lucky found mine used,,,,comes with a cross member that goes from side to side to jack up the motor on or tranny or what ever u need it for like i aid its good for some things not every thing,,, it fold down to drive on when not lifting the car in the air,,can be done with one person and a good size floor jack for the rear,,,,

This may be a little off topic, but definitely lift related. I'm in the market for a lift too, but I have an issue that I haven't resolved yet. I have a multi-car garage with single 7' tall doors for each bay. With that setup my electric garage door openers are suspended approx 7 1/2' over the middle of each bay - right in the way of where the car would be lifted. To clear the space overhead I would need to: 1) remove the garage door opener and open/close the door manually; or 2) have some kind of a side-mounted / offset garage door opener. Do you guys know if a side-mounted / offset garage door opener even exists? Thanks in advance for your input.

for most real lifts you need an 11 foot ceiling or higher,,the lift i showed had a garage door opener above the car that i had to rasie to clear the roof of the car and i think my ceilings are 8 fooot

My lifts are 2 post Rotary lifts and the top bar is 11'6" and the cylinders will go above that when up all the way. My ceilings are 12' high and dont cause any problems...They do make wall mount garage door openers but you still have the tracks for the door on both sides...I have never seen a lift in a garage with 8' ceilings...I have seen guys build a garage with scissor trusses and mount the lift in the middle..And those were floor plate type lifts...Bill

I've done many transmissions/transfer cases/ engine swaps on 2 post lifts without a problem. I did a transmission on my buddy's plow truck a couple weeks ago and he has a 4 poster in his garage. I will never even bother doing a trans swap on a 4 poster again! The lift is always in the way. The worse was the rolling jacks. The front one is limited to rolling back halfway so I had to keep rolling it back and forth to keep it out of my way.

If you plan on doing exhaust work, transmission/engine swaps, or suspension work then do yourself a favor and get a 2 post. I know it's a pain in the rear to bend down and setup but it's a lot better than working on the floor without a lift!

This may be a little off topic, but definitely lift related. I'm in the market for a lift too, but I have an issue that I haven't resolved yet. I have a multi-car garage with single 7' tall doors for each bay. With that setup my electric garage door openers are suspended approx 7 1/2' over the middle of each bay - right in the way of where the car would be lifted. To clear the space overhead I would need to: 1) remove the garage door opener and open/close the door manually; or 2) have some kind of a side-mounted / offset garage door opener. Do you guys know if a side-mounted / offset garage door opener even exists? Thanks in advance for your input.

They do make wall mount garage door openers but you still have the tracks for the door on both sides...I have never seen a lift in a garage with 8' ceilings...I have seen guys build a garage with scissor trusses and mount the lift in the middle..And those were floor plate type lifts...Bill

I actually have a 10' ceiling in my garage. I'm looking at some mid-rise scissor lifts. The garage door tracks are no issue as they are to either side of the bay. My problem is that the garage door opener is hanging 7 1/2' directly over the center of the bay - right where the car would be raised up through.

Now tell me more about these wall mounted garage door openers and where I can find out more about them? Thanks in advance for your input!

I have the Atlas 4-post. Works well and I believe safer for my teenager. We also picked up two of these tall jack stands - http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Ton-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-Stand-TALL - When we want to remove a wheel to do brake work or what ever, we raise the car with the lift, put the jack stand under the axle, then lower the lift a bit until the wheel raises off of the ramp.

Frank

I'm looking at some mid-rise scissor lifts. !

I was all excited for a bit about scissor lifts, but there's too many issues

First, there's "too much stuff" under there getting in the way of "stuff" under the car, and would make transmission work, etc difficult

Second, many of these "roll" and or slide on the floor. There's been comments about them "powdering" a floor. I realize you could line the floor with sheet metal, etc

Even if you cannot make full - height use of a 2 post, etc in a smaller garage, if you can "stuff" the posts up between roof support structure, you could easily build safety limit switches to protect the top of the vehicle.

I'll tell you guys WHUT. At my age and condition, I would not be able to do ANYTHING without my hoist. And it has been useful for other McGyver projects, like using the lift arms to hoist parts of my Farmall final drives for brake replacements, etc, and a simple, homemade platform to accomodate the garden tractor.

Dropping an engine out the bottom of a van

2lmrmkx.jpg

29lcrr9.jpg

Junking a car (then lowered it to trailer)

jrflw1.jpg

Test fired a used engine

34nf6l0.jpg

Swapping a K member

attachment.php

And the Sears lawn tractor, now gone, on the hoist for repair. The platform is one of those three section folding loading ramps

Attachments

• IMG_0813ss.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 221
We have an Atlas 2 post. My advice, go 2 post and then spend the 4-5 hundred extra and get the hi lift jackstands , that way you can use the stands for added safety.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Liftmaster-8500-Mount-Garage-Opener/dp/B00BS28SP8"]Liftmaster 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener - Amazon.com[/ame] Tom, here is a link to the garag door opener this is just one make there ar others just Google wall mount garage door openers....Bill

I actually have a 10' ceiling in my garage. I'm looking at some mid-rise scissor lifts. The garage door tracks are no issue as they are to either side of the bay. My problem is that the garage door opener is hanging 7 1/2' directly over the center of the bay - right where the car would be raised up through.

Now tell me more about these wall mounted garage door openers and where I can find out more about them? Thanks in advance for your input!

X2 on the LiftMaster Jackshaft garage door openers. Best invention since sliced bread 8)

-
Back