Car Parts Value..???

-
Sorry you're going through this. I mulled over the dilemma of buying an original grille or a repop for quite some time but in the end decided to go repop. The simple truth is, these 50 year old plastics are brittle no matter how they have been stored. Had I found one, I could have spent the money only to break tabs when installing on my car...let alone worrying about it arriving in one piece after shipping.

I would show them the value of a repop. This way you will get back the money you actually paid. This is the one I bought. JEGS had them cheaper with a code. Hopefully you get acceptable resolution. Good luck!
In the F body community grilles are rare and expensive as well-when one guy mentioned rubbing? the grill hot and using lacquer thinner to repair or re-fuse the plastic pieces back together would that alleviate some of the brittleness? Or not actually address the issue with certain break locations?

Different situation altogether. Gifting someone something, they haven't sent you an amount to consummate the exchange, doesn't create an exchange of value. You could claim an item is 100x actual value and try to collect. Problem is the insurer will push back, question the stated value, and want to see appraisals of same type of item.

You paid $X for the grille + shipping and handling/packaging. Your total loss is exactly what you paid. You generally don't get the benefit of an inflated value just because you say so. There is a legal concept called unjust enrichment. You mention that the grille was impaired... so what is the actual value of said grille purchased? UCC is the legal controlling statutes here. I'd almost bet there is language in the fedex bill of lading/shipping agreement that addresses "value" as well.

I understand your position, it's a losing one IMO because the insurance isn't stated value. Otherwise the industry would be out of business from people sending $5 trinkets, claim they are worth $1000 and inflated claims being paid. Notice they want proof of payment/invoicing for a reason.
How right you are. I completely understand the concept of "declared" value versus an actual/insured value.. It makes sense now.
I don't like it, but it is what it is.
Apparently, you can purchase shipping insurance from a 3rd party for actual value.
With all that said, I received my claim approval email this morning...this after 6 denial letters, maybe 20 phone calls, a number of hoops jumped through and, many, many
pictures sent.
Complete fiasco, but with a fair ending... They're covering the cost of the grille and shipping.
Thanks for taking the time to school me and help understanding the process..

How right you are. I completely understand the concept of "declared" value versus an actual/insured value.. It makes sense now.
I don't like it, but it is what it is.
Apparently, you can purchase shipping insurance from a 3rd party for actual value.
With all that said, I received my claim approval email this morning...this after 6 denial letters, maybe 20 phone calls, a number of hoops jumped through and, many, many
pictures sent.
Complete fiasco, but with a fair ending... They're covering the cost of the grille and shipping.
Thanks for taking the time to school me and help understanding the process..

Good you persevered and got a settlement.

No sweat on the workings of the claims process. Been through it so many times. Got some scars from it as well.

If they let you keep the grille, bonus. Sometimes they don't want the hassle of getting it, then sell it for pennies on the dollar or trash it.

-
Back