Car reassembly. Observation made on turn signals...is this normal?

-

Max Wedgie

Reaction score
The new paint is finally on and now I'm putting the '68 Dart back together. I installed the rear tail lights and checked the turn signals...got nothing. Although the bulbs were still good, i put in new ones to double check. No difference. Went through hours of going over the wiring, grounding, flasher, turn signal switch, etc.. No luck.
The fenders weren't on yet so I didn't have the grille in place. I decided to temporarily attach the grille and connect the wiring to check the fronts. They worked fine...checked the rears...now the rear signals are working fine.
So my question...Is it normal for disconnected front signal lamps to have that effect on the rears? I wouldn't thinks so, but i want to be sure that the wiring is correct.

No. Only effect that disconnected front or disconnected rear should have on the opposite end is that they usually will not flash, as the load on the flasher is lightened, but they will usually come on and stay on when switch is cycled "Usual suspects" in this type situation, besides bulbs and usual wiring, and socket contacts, is lamp/ socket GROUNDING

You can go back to your dupe post and delete it, see the bottom frame of the post

No. Only effect that disconnected front or disconnected rear should have on the opposite end is that they usually will not flash, as the load on the flasher is lightened, but they will usually come on and stay on when switch is cycled "Usual suspects" in this type situation, besides bulbs and usual wiring, and socket contacts, is lamp/ socket GROUNDING

Thanks. All sockets are well grounded, but at that time the front harness was rolled up and the grounds were not yet attached

With new paint you may need to grind the paint off on some of the spots where the nuts make contact.

Alan

with rear fixtures and many other items mount grounded to the body/chassis you need the chassis ground jumpered somewhere. Common locations from firewall to engine and maybe core support to batt' negative too.

-
Back