Car Show vs "Show and Shine"

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
Is it just me, am I the only one? So I moved to Idaho a few years ago from Minnesota. Minnesota is known for the MSRA (MN Street Rod Assn) "Back to the 50's" car show as well as the "Street Machine Nationals", both events "show" well over 10,000 cars. And then there was the usual small town Lions Club, etc., "Car Shows".

I move to Idaho and the largest show is in my home town except they call it a "Show and Shine". For 2 years I have been asking the locals and the transplants from California why it is called a "Show and Shine" and more importantly, wouldn't you first shine it and then show it? It all sounds inherently backwards and quite odd to me. It wasn't until I was at the "Boise Roadster Show" last weekend that I realized this was not a one-off deal. I found a booth with flyers advertising "Show and Shines" all over the state and even in California. I guess my question is whether or not this is just a western state thing or have I been living under a rock? Am I the only one who thinks "Show and Shine" sounds utterly stupid?

and more importantly, wouldn't you first shine it and then show it? It all sounds inherently backwards and quite odd to me.

have you not seen the guys at the show that the first thing they do is detail their car after they park it? hell, thats what most do in this area anyway. pull in, park the car, register then start wiping sown the car with wax or quick detail.. :)

First off Idaho isn't anywhere in the ballpark of the population that Minnesota has so I can't imagine there even being closely the amount of cars and car shows or show and shines.
Show and shine could be also interpreted as a time to show it and maybe interpreted as a time to shine meaning a time to show and be accoladed.....
I've always considered a car show more of an event where people are competing for a trophy and a show and shine is more they just show up and a time to let your car shine.... As in reflect the sunlight...

I been to more than a few S&S here in western Canada. Generally around 20-75 cars. The bigger gatherings are called Car Shows. At some of the shows we got a shine on. Kim.

Last edited:
Don't they have chics in bikini bottoms and wet t shirts washing the cars? for a fee ? that goes to charity of course...:)

OR it could mean if the sun isn't out its cancelled...

car show, or show and shine, either way its a gathering of cars, and thats a win! (in my book)
I seldom notice what they call it, as long as cars, and car guys get together,
I have more fun with my "in progress cars" than my show cars,
trophys? I have shelves full of them, and now make it a point NOT to enter for awards.
but more to get together with old friends, and swap lies. or arrange time to help "one of the guys"

Here in the desert you can shine it every hour with the dust in the air. I try to park next to black cars they tend to be dust magnets LOL

I go to a lot of “Coffee and Cars” events, pretty much the same as a show and shine but usually starts 7-8am and goes to 10-11am. Great for getting out cruising the car on Saturday or Sunday afterwards. Much less ego and more like a bunch of different folks and a bunch of different cars. Plus, you then have the rest of the day to enjoy.

It may just be regional terminology. Kinda like the fact that Potatoes and Taters are the exact same thing. Just try to fit in so they don't accuse you of being from CA instead of MN.....lol.

My small town has a festival every year, last year it was a "Vintage Fest", and they featured vintage cars to draw people in. This year it is "May Fest" and they are having a Show and Shine featuring Jeeps. I will not be attending this year, there is no reason I would want to see a bunch of lifted mall crawling angry eyes Wranglers out there.

received_376903214549307.jpeg

I go to a lot of “Coffee and Cars” events, pretty much the same as a show and shine but usually starts 7-8am and goes to 10-11am. Great for getting out cruising the car on Saturday or Sunday afterwards. Much less ego and more like a bunch of different folks and a bunch of different cars. Plus, you then have the rest of the day to enjoy.
In my area riding motorcycles ya get out early for breakfast then the "idiots" (heavy Saturday traffic) wake up and are out around 1030-1100...its a strategy.:lol:

Very long time ago I would go to the March Meet at Famoso in Bakersfield. There, they had a 'car show' and a 'show and shine' at the same time. Kind of gave an indication of what the two were about.

The 'car show' had entry fees and rules. Classes, vintages, no kit cars, etc. many classes were 'stock appearing' or had to be stock. This kind of things takes judges with expertise, and such an event had those kind of people and so they could pull it off. People get really worked up over showing their cars, and so it turns into the 50s rat-rodders vs the bone-stock Fiat guys hating one another because their particular car should somehow get more attentions. At the very least most 'car shows' have a year limit like pre '59 or pre '72 etc.

The show and shine was more open, no trophies except maybe a 'best in show' or 'strangest' or other oddball categories like that. Lots more open and people just wanting to show off their ride and see other cool cars. Cars 'n coffee stuff tends to be the same kind of deal.

Shows also tend to have vendors, food, etc. A show and shine tends to have less monetary involvement, but it's not uncommon to see entry fees and such if a permit from the city is pulled or something along those lines. I've also noticed show and shines tend to be more common at non-automotive type events, like at state or county fairs there's often a show-and-shine area for people to show off the cool cars they brought that stand out from the sea of commuter appliances most show up in.

-
Back