***Car trailer winches and mounts***

-

65Val

Average Length Member
Reaction score
Hey gang. Please post your winch mounting arrangements for your car trailers. I'm contemplating mounting a 12v winch on the reach of my open car trailer and need to see some mount installations.

Lets see 'em....

Also, I would like to know what size and brand of winches you guys are using, and if they do the job well or not.

O(bligatory) M(opar) C(ontent) = I will be picking up my Dart from the paint shop on this trailer.

TIA!

Here's mine. Basic hitch receiver style pin.

I also have it drilled so I can turn the winch 90* because I'm lazy. It allows me to pull up in spots and pull cars out first that I otherwise couldn't get lined up behind my trailer.

winchmount001.jpg

winchmount002.jpg

Thanks cracked. I like it! I see you put a support at the bottom of the mount. Was the crossmember flexing at that point when pulling?

What brand and size winch is that? Does it do the job for you?

My winch looks similar to cracked except it's just simply bolted to the front channel "tire bumper" on the trailer.

I've bought a slightly better warn (ATV) and am planning on just mounting it to a short plate with a hook on the end, so I can hook it "anyplace" or with a chain. This also means the winch won't constantly be out in the weather

Mine is portable. It came with a plate that simply drops over the ball in the center of my rear bumper, and has enough cable to reach the end of the trailer ramps and back to the center again. It's made by masterlock, got it at Bass Pro, has a 3500 lb pull rating. Not heavy duty, but with a snatch block/pulley on it, it'll winch the Durango up on it with no problem. Jake's 65 was a piece of cake.

has a 3500 lb pull rating.......but with a snatch block/pulley on it, it'll winch the Durango up on it with no problem.

With a 3500 lb rating, either it's not getting enough power or that rating is a huge lie.

Anyone have one of these.....

[ame="http://www.amazon.ca/Runva-2-5XP-2500lb-Expert-Package/dp/B005KRDLDG/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1318296468&sr=1-2"]Runva 2.5XP 2500lb 12v ATV Winch Expert Package: Amazon.ca: Home & Garden[/ame]

That winch is a 2000# harbor freight job and is about 7 years old. Think it was about $30 after a discount coupon. Pulls everything I've ever hooked up to it, not fast, but, gets it done.

Don't know if anything was flexing, when I put the receiver on, I also installed the support bar. Never had it any other way.

.................I have a 9500 lb champion on a receiver type hitch welded to the front support......doesnt even flinch loading up a 1 ton dually...............kim............

I can only tell you what the box said.....

Understand. What I'm telling you is you might look over your electrical end carefully. A winch with that rating should not need a block for the kind of pulling you described

Many years ago, one of the 4x4 mags ran tests of the then popular Warn/ other winches, and determined that they need REAL big wire and a LOT of battery/ alternator to really perform.

On my Warn 8000 I ran two batteries in the Landcruiser, with REAL oversized wire, and one of the big Mopar 100+ alternators.

That thing would waltz all over a Buddy who had one in a Jeep with "factory electrical."

-
Back