Car turns over but wont start!!

-

74DUSTER!

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 74 Duster 225 slant six
it cranks but wont start, fuel gets to the carb but still nothing, I tried using starter fluid and still nothing:banghead:
I am running a holley 390 carb, offenhauser intake, hooker super competition headers, and a mallory unilite distributor
any help would be great
I even tried a new ballast resistor but still cranks and no start and I am getting spark, and everything is charging the way it should be (ign coil,dist etc.)
anything will help at this point:glasses7:
Thanks
Brandonn

do you have an immediate shot of gas when you crack the throttle? did you look down the carb to make sure you are getting fuel ?

Have you made sure the engine is grounded. Bit of a stretch but since its a fresh build may have forgotten that grounding strap.

You are getting spark but WHAT DOES it look like? How hot is it?

What do the plugs look like? Might be gas fouled.

If an engine won't fire on starting fluid, you have problems

Just how exactly did you set the timing?

You need a timing light to insure #1 sparks near TDC. You can get old in-line types for $1 at garage sales. A clamp-on type is better and lets you easily verify that all 6 cyls are sparking.

If still nothing, turn the engine over with a remote starter, with your finger in #1 cyl and verify you feel compression as it comes up to TDC.

As 273 said, if it sparks and won't fire on starter fluid, it is either flooded w/ gas or not sparking the right time. You could block the fuel flow at the filter (disconnect & plug), use up all fuel in the bowl, and then see if it will fire on starter fluid. An overflowing carb bowl would easily flood it.

Hey guys thank you for all the help I checked and I am getting no spark what so ever what should I do from here?

Check the simple stuff first, is the distributor turning when the engine cranks?

Did you put the rotor under the cap?

remove the distributor cap and see if you can see a spark jumping
if not check the coil for proper hook up , could be a bad coil..

Attachments

• ecudia.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 436
Hey guys I would like to thank you all for the help it turns out the dizzy was bad and the neutral safety switch was for a manual -_-
I will be up loading pics soon!

mallory unilite distributor

Sounds like the Unitite module inside the distributor may be bad. Do you have the suggested filter to protect it? If no it'd likely bad. Secondly I don't think you run an ignition box with a Unilite. I've only used them on Fords and have never ran the ignition box with them.

-
Back