Car wont start

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so out of the blue my car wont start (/6 225 73 duster).I checked the battery it good checked the cables there good.I read my book on the car and it said to look at the starter relay(thing right next to the battery) and jump the 1 and 4 prong if it starts its not the relay well it started with the jumper wire.Then it said to check the wire running of the starter solenoid to were it hooks to the relay I have no power there.After that the book leaves you hanging.I have power from the battery to the starter so that's good but now power from the middle prong on the started relay to the starter solenoid.

Think is I started it 15 min earlier with no problem.

Any help is appreciated I have to drive to school in 9 hours

is it turning over, or just clicking? i would jump it at the starter to see if you are getting power to the solenoid, should be easy as the starter is easy to get to.

Don't quite understand, but short small brown wire on starter reg to hot, with key on. If it starts- neutral safety switch.

I don't understand your relay terminal numbering, you might read my post in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=177069

Here's how these work:

You have THREE important, SEPARATE switch contacts and wires associated with start/ run

You have traditional "dark blue" "ignition run" or IGN1, hot ONLY in the "run" position of the key

You have traditional "brown" bypass circuit, comes from the IGN switch, through the bulkhead, to the coil + side of the ballast resistor, hot ONLY in "start" which bypasses the ballast for a hot start

You have traditional yellow, comes from the IGN switch, through the bulkhead, to EITHER of the "push on" terminals of the start relay.

In order for the start relay to actuate, the REMAINING "push on" terminal MUST see a ground from the center terminal of the neutral safety switch in park or neutral.

Start relay:

The two push on terminals go to the "start" wire from the key, and the neutral safety switch

The big stud comes from the battery, and is hooked to the main large starter stud

The "square" screw terminal goes down to the starter solenoid

mopar-53-54-55-56-57-58-59-imperial-starter-relay-new_170579962271.jpg

SO get your light/ meter / clip leads and get to work

1 JUMPER the two large exposed terminal on the relay. Does it crank? If not....

2 JUMPER the two terminals right at the starter. Does it crank?

If it cranks in 2 but not 1, the wire going from the "square screw" terminal to the solenoid is broken, probably from vibration right at the starter

If it cranks in BOTH 2 and 1, you have a starter relay/ wiring/ neutral safety problem

3 Remove either of the "push on" terminals. Take your meter/ test light and try to identify a yellow wire. IF you cannot, hook your light/ meter to either wire, and twist the key to start. Repeat with the other wire until you find IF one wire is "hot" with key twisted to "start."

Take this wire and hook to either "push on" relay terminal. Disconnect the remaining wire, and clip lead the exposed terminal to ground. Twist the key, does it crank?

If so, you have a wiring/ neutral safety switch problem

If not, put your light/ meter in the back of the "start wire" and twist the key. You should have a nice bright lamp in "start" or at least 11 V or so. If so, and no crank, you most probably have a bad start relay

Post back with results.

What about the safety belt breaker relay or whatever it's called on the drivers side fender has a red reset button on it it's some kind of safety loop so that you buckle up

try REGROUNDING the starter relay, i recently had the same issue. and carefully read 67dart273s post

What about the safety belt breaker relay or whatever it's called on the drivers side fender has a red reset button on it it's some kind of safety loop so that you buckle up

Ah yes I keep forgetting about those darn things. If you DO have one with the "reset relay" best thing to do is bypass it. The relay should have two wires that are yellow / yellow with tracer. Hook them together, end of the interlock.

Traced the yellow wire of the sinoliod and through the fire wall and then to the white plug inside the car and the plug was broke anyone know were to get a new one.taped if for now so it starts

-
Back