Carb Advice - 440 Drag Only

-

80fbody

Reaction score
Gathering parts for my 440. Still haven't committed on the cam yet. Building the shortblock now. My largest carb in stock is a 750dp. What carb should I look for without breaking the bank. Would an 850 be enough?

11 to 1 TRW Forged
Home ported 346's
MP 557 solid or similar
TM-7 Single Plane Intake
727 Trans w/ 3500 stall
4.30 Gear w/ 11.5"x31" slicks

You can call Pro Systems and they will ask you everything you have in your motor and they will tell you what you would need. I think a 1050.

choose a cam first comp cams has a chart for cam, springs, carb and stall its easy math. i have a 440 30 over i run a solid comp cam 579-609 lift and im running an 850 i think it could handle a 950 will find out when testing this spring, also what heads are you running.

Definitely finish chosing your cam and upper end selection first. I run a 636" lift roller cam with a 950HP but it makes more power with a 1050 Dominator. I think you can safely say the 750 will not be enough for a built 440..

How extensive is the port work? Foot brake or trans brake? Weight with driver?

Port work was done several years ago & I'm not sure how well they'll flow. Just some cast iron 346's. They're free so i'm going to try them. Foot brake this year. Transbrake likely next season. Should be approx 2700lbs w/ driver.

The Comp Cam XS290S looks like what I'm shooting for .540 / .558 lift

During some carb reading, the article mentioned that the 950's actually have smaller venturi's than the 850's. Any truth to that?

950dp is a good carb you can grow with. Honestly, the carb you have will work to get the project going. You can always upgrade later when funds permit....heck, I've been using a 750dp for years even though I know my car would probably go faster with a bigger carb. I just haven't wanted to spend the money.

A dominator would work...but looking at he rest of your combo, I don't think you need one IMO.

Thanks "Pettybludart" - Sweet carb but I'm sure out of my range.

Going to keep an eye out for a used 850 for this season.

If you are buying new I'd go for the 950HP. But in terms of finding something - the 850dp is the best to kep an aya out for.

If buying new,check the AED carbs out(modified Holley).Summit now carries them and not over priced.I run a AED850dp on my 410c.i sb and love it.

If buying new,check the AED carbs out(modified Holley).Summit now carries them and not over priced.I run a AED850dp on my 410c.i sb and love it.

A little off topic, but have you tried the dominator you're selling on the small block? Just curious (I thought about putting a dom on my 410 a while back but never did...).

I have a 1000 BLP carb. I removed it from my car first pic and installed a a 1050 quick-fuel second pic. I will sell the BLP for $275 shipped. Comes with a jet kit I recieved with it. It Cost $1000 new. Still looks as pictured. works great. I got the quick-fuel 1050 with a motor purchase and installed it. Its shinier so I left it on they worked the same didn't see a difference. I also have a 850 DP'er four corner with choke for $225 shipped. Pm me if interested.

Attachments

• DSCF0171[1].jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF0041[1].jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 152
-
Back