Carb base gasket question - picture

-

George R

Mopar Nutcase
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Still chasing this stumble here.
Is this open center gasket OK to use with the stock manifold? Should it have the 4 hole style instead? Would it make a difference?

Thanks,
George

69 Dart reassembly17.jpg

69 Dart reassembly18.jpg

It should be ok but I would prefer a 4 hole on the stock intake.

All though that gap is small it has to be causing some turbulence. Maybe Im being anal.

It should be ok but I would prefer a 4 hole on the stock intake.

All though that gap is small it has to be causing some turbulence. Maybe Im being anal.

I think the worry is a bit much. I'd also prefur a 4 hole gasket, but wouldn't worry about that open on there.

Your stumble issue is not at the gasket. If there was any problem at the gasket, the carb can be adjusted (Or the timing) to get around any issue or effect that it may or may not have.

I'd go back to the basics and re-set everything up from scratch on the distributors timing and the carb.

Also, the stock carb to intake gasket is a thick gasket somewhere in the order of .320 thick. OR something like that. I forget the actual thickness. It was designed to help insulate the carb since it is aluminum over a iron stove.

Edelbrock has thicker gaskets. You *might* need longer studs.

I recommend you run one of these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL-9266&N=700+115&autoview=sku

It will keep the heat off the carb which dramatically reduces percolation.

You can get bigger accelerator pump nozzles from Edelbrock:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL-1475&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I'd switch to Edelbrock jets/rods and richen that carb up. Those factory carbs were calibrated for emissions running a 195 degree thermastat and exhaust heat riser in place; they are very very lean.

George, that gasket is no problem. Like Adam said, start back with the tuneup..

Humor me here. :D
Lets assume there is no ignition problem with the engine, and that this stumble is related to a lean condition, commonly called "Lean Misfire". I want to install a thinner step rod, and/or a bigger primary jet, and perhaps a stronger step rod spring. Now, I know I can order this stuff from Summit and other places, but I have no idea what carb I have as none of the Edelbrock numbers listed on their site are even remotely close to what is listed on my carb. All I know about the carb is that it is a Carter Competition Series. I don't even know the CFM.

I replaced the open gasket with a 4 hole design that is almost 1/4" thick, and it made a HUGE improvement in the stumble, but I can still feel it a little while pulling a hill. My plugs are still colorless as well. I want to richen up the carb a little.

Can anyone tell me what to order as far as carb parts (rods/jets/springs) so I can richen up the carb? The numbers from the front baseplate of the carb are: 9636SA 0420.

Thanks for the help!!!

George

George, Thats a 625cfm Carter, Im all most positive its the same as the 600cfm Edelbrock performer so it would use the same tuning kit.

I'm looking at both pictures of your gasket, and it looks to me like the carb. is not making full contact (sealing ) on it. I would change that gasket for the 4 hole, as I wouldn't re-use that one personally.

I thought Edelbrock (bought) was a Rochester carb. Adam.

George, Thats a 625cfm Carter, Im all most positive its the same as the 600cfm Edelbrock performer so it would use the same tuning kit.

Adam, how can I find these parts? I looked at Edelbrock.com, but I dunno what parts/kit to order. There are so many different carbs listed.

I'm looking at both pictures of your gasket, and it looks to me like the carb. is not making full contact (sealing ) on it. I would change that gasket for the 4 hole, as I wouldn't re-use that one personally.

I thought Edelbrock (bought) was a Rochester carb. Adam.
I already changed the gasket as stated above, but I looked very closely at it when I removed the old one, and it was sealing all the way around on both sides. I think a vacuum signal loss between the primary and secondary side was screwing something up because it runs much better now with the 4 hole gasket, but I can still feel it misfire, and my plugs are still colorless. I need to richen up the carb.

Thanks,
George

George,

That kit will work well. But you need to either fill your rod caps to make them flat on the inside or get some flat AFB/Edelbrock rod caps in order to run the Edelbrock primary rods/jets. The original AVS rods are longer and the original jets are taller then the Edelbrocks so the flat caps are needed.

Also, has the fuel pickup filter in the tank been changed? That can cause the carb to run lean if its restrictive.

George,

That kit will work well. But you need to either fill your rod caps to make them flat on the inside or get some flat AFB/Edelbrock rod caps in order to run the Edelbrock primary rods/jets. The original AVS rods are longer and the original jets are taller then the Edelbrocks so the flat caps are needed.

Also, has the fuel pickup filter in the tank been changed? That can cause the carb to run lean if its restrictive.
Thanks for the advice.
I am no longer using the AVS, but an Edelbrock Comp Series 650CFM carb.
I didn't change the fuel sending unit........
Good idea.

George

I was gonna jump in with the whole "AVS metering rods are longer and 3 step Vs the Edelbrock AFB etc etc" but I'm a bit late:dontknow:

To clear the confusion, George is currently running a aftermarket Carter Comp series 625.

Is this an "off idle" stumble? How much motor you running?

-
Back