Carb Issues

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
Ok, the new to me 72 Dart I just bought has yet another problem.
The carb is a Holley R8448 4095918 3328 2 Barrel. Looks to be that the choke does not work, maybe missing a spring and the guy has a Lokar kick Down cable but it's not installed on the carb. Car runs but needs to warmed up for at least 10 min before it sorta idles. What should I do? Fix or replace. Buget build so if any one got something for sale let me know, Just want to ride my car. Any info will help.

Looks like I need the choke mechanism that goes on the intake for the choke on this carb to work. Right now there is a plate on the pass. side of the intake where the choke part goes. Where can i get this part. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,

That carb number in my book lists it as being off a '79 model 318. Given the Lean Burn computers and smog requirements in those later years, I doubt that carb will ever work properly in your application. If you want to give it a try, post a photo of what your setup looks like and we'll see if we can find a choke for you.

What 2bbl Carb Can I put to work correctly. Going to go 4bbl in the future, but just want to get this thing going NOW. If any one has anything for sale let me know.
Thanks,

It's entirely possible the carb you have will work fine on your car. The determining factor is whether or not it has a spark advance port and nipple.

The '70-'72 cars use a 3-year-only choke thermostat setup, with a stamped steel cup bolted over an open hole in the manifold leading directly into the exhaust crossover passage. There's a gasket between the cup and the manifold. When (not "if") the heat crossover gets clogged with carbon, the choke stops working correctly (stays closed much too long because the thermostat bolted into the cup doesn't get hot enough to open). If your blockoff plate is not leaking exhaust, leave it be. Put in one of the electric choke kits which does not care whether the crossover is clogged and will not require disturbing the blockoff plate seal/gasket to install. The link lists the P/Ns for slant-6 applications, but contact the source for your V8 application. It is of no consequence as far as choke selection that you are using a '79 carburetor on your '72 engine; the same choke thermostat will hook up just fine.

Will take some pics, but I think it's good except fot the choke. Will call about electric choke conversion. Thanks all.

If you have a standard "choke well" built into the intake manifold (unsure after what SlantSixDan said), you might install the later "electric assist" choke. It has the thermostatic coil plus small electric heater controlled by a temperature sensor (w/ tiny ballast resistor). I got the setup off an 80's Diplomat 318 in the junkyard last week and last night put on my 65 Dart (Edelbrock Performer intake) w/ my Carter 2 BBL carb. You just hook +12V ign power to one lead and the rod to your carb's choke. Haven't run the engine yet, but "should work".

The '73+ electric-assist choke thermostat still depends on manifold heat (i.e., an unclogged crossover) to work correctly, and won't fit on the '70-'72 manifolds with the open-stove-and-sheetmetal-cup type arrangement.

Confused? The manifold has the sheet metal cup with a gasket. What to get the electric or the electric assist. Looks like the one slantsixdan said ( electric conversion) would work fine. Rigged the carb with a small spring holding the choke closed and car start right up. Then once you give it some gas it overcomes the spring and the choke stays open, so sounds like the carb is good just need the choke, just unclear of what one.

Thanks, All

-
Back