Carb. Mechanical or vacuum secondaries?

-
Why wouldn't it? The key is in the tuning.
Right? As a kid we used DP's on auto's all the time, but when looking at the Holley site, they state that VS were better in heavier cars with autos. I didn't know if that had become common wisdom now.

double pumper baby. runs great with an automatic...

as far as a converter goes call one of the good converter companies and see what they recommend. I'm running a 9.5" converter from dynamic that flashes to about 3800 rpm with a mild 360 and 3:23 gears. also running a 650 DP from proform

double pumper baby. runs great with an automatic...

as far as a converter goes call one of the good converter companies and see what they recommend. I'm running a 9.5" converter from dynamic that flashes to about 3800 rpm with a mild 360 and 3:23 gears. also running a 650 DP from proform
Good info. Thanks! On an unrelated topic regarding your TC, do you run an additional trans cooler? What was pricing like for the Dynamic?

Thanks,

Doug

in the past i've run extra trans coolers but this car it is only using the radiator trans cooler. i'd have to look at the reciepts but i think the converter was around 700 bucks.. yea its a lot of money but the right converter can make or break your combo.

here is the build thread.. missing a lot of early on pictures because of photobucket greed but the later pages have pics. build thread for jamies dart..:)

video is of when i put the 3.23 gears in.. really liked the 2.94 gears but they were loud and open ended..

Last edited:
Man, that thing comes out of the hole! I'm hoping my Dart does the same. Pretty similar build.

Carb should be here in a couple of days. Can't wait to get this pig in the car.

https://dougritchie.smugmug.com/Dart/i-RpFzMwH/A]
20221218_111147-XL.jpg
[/url]

Right? As a kid we used DP's on auto's all the time, but when looking at the Holley site, they state that VS were better in heavier cars with autos. I didn't know if that had become common wisdom now.
With a good converter, a double pumper will work well.

Choke horn or no horn that’s the difference in double pumpers. Vacuum you can trick out to kick in faster or slower depending on springs. You need to know what the plan is for your setup

And you think a DP will work okay with an auto?
I ran a 700 double pumper on my 340 with both 4-speed and auto--first in my '66 Valiant with 4-speed for several years, then 37 years in my '65 Barracuda with 727. Both cars had 4.30 gears; the 727 had only a shift kit, with stock converter. The 340 had purple shaft cam, Edelbrock LD340, and headers. Throttle response with the double pumper was a different world compared to the vacuum secondary carb it replaced.

When all is said and done with a properly tuned engine fuel economy is dictated by the position of your foot on the throttle.

If you tune a double pumpers power valve the way Holley and some other sources say to then it maybe makes sense why they would also recommend a VS in many cases but if you select a PV based on cruise vacuum, or even just default to the 10.5 PV regardless “as a start” to fine tuning it I’d say not. There is a major difference between a power valve that doesn’t activate till you get heavy into the secondaries and one that does just on the primaries which is what you want it to do. Regardless, double pumper hands (or foot) down

If you tune a double pumpers power valve the way Holley and some other sources say to then it maybe makes sense why they would also recommend a VS in many cases but if you select a PV based on cruise vacuum, or even just default to the 10.5 PV regardless “as a start” to fine tuning it I’d say not. There is a major difference between a power valve that doesn’t activate till you get heavy into the secondaries and one that does just on the primaries which is what you want it to do. Regardless, double pumper hands (or foot) down
Can you find a 10.5? I cannot.

Can you find a 10.5? I cannot.
I recant that. I can now. I couldn't a couple of months back, but it's been that long since I looked. I really need a 12.5 but a 10.5 will have to do, I guess.

I’m surprised there isn’t an adjustable power valve or one that you can change out springs. If it could be done it sure would be something I’d buy in a heartbeat. I know I’ve read here about others mentioning something like that

I’m surprised there isn’t an adjustable power valve or one that you can change out springs. If it could be done it sure would be something I’d buy in a heartbeat. I know I’ve read here about others mentioning something like that
It sure seems like something someone could make. Maybe put a small E clip on the end of the main shaft. Then you could take it apart and change the rate.

Probably cause the signal was so weak, the v.s.never opened.:soapbox::rofl:
There isn't much difference in ET and MPH between a 750 DP and a properly setup 3310. it's miniscule.

It sure seems like something someone could make. Maybe put a small E clip on the end of the main shaft. Then you could take it apart and change the rate.
Hmm, obviously you’ve looked at what it might take. Likely finding the proper spring rate would be be the main issue. Taking it apart and modifying seems easily sorted out though.

-
Back