Carb Problems, Need Help

-

73'-318VALIANT

Terd Slinger
Reaction score
O.k. heres the prob, i have a 73 318. the car is a little hard to start especially when its cold out. Now the big issue is keeping it running. If she hasent been running for atleast 10-15 mins then when i shift out of park or anytime i come to a stop it just drops off and shuts down like its not getting enough fuel! then i crank it back up and give it hell and it still sputters and stalls! Do i need a whole new carb or is it possibly just vacuum line probs? any help would be greatly appreciated!!! tg

Check your vacuum every where. Do you have power brakes?
If you do check that line too.
How old is your fuel filter and check fuel pump.
Your carb may need to be cleaned out if your filter is old.
If it is hard to start your gas is returning back to the pump.
Do not start the motor let it set 30 min,Then take the breather off and look down in the carb
do not do this with the motor running!!! :cussing:
pump the throttle and see if gas spays in the carb. There should be two solid sprays of gas coming out. :thumbup:
How old is your pump and filter?
Is this a two or four barrel?

it is a 2 barrel, the filter was just changed and i have no idea how old the pump is, just bought the car a couple of months ago! i was gonna change all vaccuum lines but i thought i should check to see if it may be something else before i replace everything!!1 thanx 4 the hielp tg

Vacuum lines are small potatos. Also get yourself a can of Carb cleeaner and spray around the carbs base and head to intake area to check for air leaks.
If the problem persists, we can go from there.

Do you have the heat duct running from the left manifold to the air cleaner? When cold does the flapper in the air filter close off the cold air? If NO, there's your problem.

Is the choke working?

al right first, ive got carb cleaner and does not appear to be leaking from around the carb, 2nd yes it is running into the passenger side valve cover.

2nd and 3rd, the flapper in my air cleaner is apparently missing and the choke works but is manual and to be honest i dont know how to really use it!! lol please dont laugh to hard at me!! i just leave it wide open, maybe thats why it is skrewed up!! ive alwys had electric chokes on my cars! so any info on how to use it would be great!! and once again please dont laugh tg

2nd yes it is running into the passenger side valve cover
????????????????????
Did you check the intake to head area for leaks?
Since you have the carb cleaner, use it as well on the vacuum hoses.

I hear ya. I hate it when it ends up taken 10 sundays to drive around day.

I had a similar problem with my 340.....not wanting to run correctly when starting & after warming up.....it still was pretty much a basket case. Come to find out, the carb linkage was set to where the throttle plates were open prematurely and that caused it to run poorly. Once I got the linkage set up correctly, the car now runs like a scared rabbit!!
Don't know if this may be your situation or not but check the plates to see if they are open too far.
Greg.........mtn_jake

Manual Choke Operation 101

To cold start:
1) Press accelerator to floor, while floored pull knob fully, release accelerator pedal.
2) Crank engine over, DO NOT pump throttle.
3) As soon as it fires, push choke knob in 1/2 way, tap accelerator to allow idle to drop. Like with an automatic choke, you should now be at a slightly higher idle.
4) After engine runs smooth or about the time heater starts working, push knob all the way in.

Now, bear in mind NOTHING IS GUARANTEED with this setup. Aparrently a previous owner decided that he knew more than the Mopar/Carter engineers which designed the fuel system on your car. Sounds like it has been "improved" to the point of no longer functioning. I guess my best advice would be to get another carb and a choke thermostat and put it back right. OR score a Performer intake and a 1406 Eddy and live with a litle more power.

Ok, In Reference To The Two Sprays Inside My Carb, It Does But Is Terribly Uneven, It Will Spray A Long Hard Spray On The Right Side Of The Carb And A Weak Short Spray On The Left, Then If You Push The Throttl Again It Will Do The Same Thing But Reverse The Sides. Left Strong Right Weak???????????? Stumped! Tg

73'-318VALIANT said:
Also This Is Off Subject But Can I Use Duster Bumpers On My Val? Front And Rear! I Hate The Big 6in Rubber Stops On Em!! Thx

If it's like my duster, then you can just take the rubber parts off. There's a couple nuts or bolts on the back of the bumper for each one. Mine were stuck on pretty good, so you might want to put something on them to clean/loosen 'em up before trying to remove them.

Well These Bumpers Are Preety Rusted, Atleast On The Underside, So I Was Just Gonna Replace Them With Somthing Else!!! But Ill Give That A Try Till I Get Some New Ones!! Thx!! Tg

-
Back