Carb problems?

-

miketed

Reaction score
hey, need help. I have edlebrock dual quads on my 73 360 Duster. 1404 and 1406, 500 and 600 cfm the car always ran great until today. It spit and sputtered and backfired very loud. It died on me 6 times in 2 miles. It will start but won't stay running. I had to have it towed to home. Stuck float? No leaks of fuel, just won't stay running. Any experts out there.

Might be junk in the idle circuits, try removing the mixture screws (keep track of the turns from closed) and blowing them out with carb cleaner.

Ima gonna guess the cam chain jumped

Hmm miketed by "can't keep it running" do you mean in revs up OK and stays running if you give it some gas or does it barely run overall? When the chain jumped on my old 318 it wouldn't even start and you could hear the starter "skipping" over cylinders where the valve timing was so far off it wasn't building compression.

When you installed that cam 6 months ago I'm assuming you had a double-roller timing set put in?

Hmm miketed by "can't keep it running" do you mean in revs up OK and stays running if you give it some gas or does it barely run overall? When the chain jumped on my old 318 it wouldn't even start and you could hear the starter "skipping" over cylinders where the valve timing was so far off it wasn't building compression.

When you installed that cam 6 months ago I'm assuming you had a double-roller timing set put in?
Revs up and dies. I did not put the cam in myself. Local shop did it, double roller , don't know. E bay car. The cam was replaced because 2 lobes went flat and was ticking.

Guys I was kidding. There is not nearly enough information in post #1 to make anything but a wild guess. I thought my wild-guess comment would be funny, but I guess not. So I'm sorry to be a dick.
So the number one go-to with a backfire is;
A) if it backfired through the muffler it's probably ignition.
B) if it popped through the carb, it probably went lean.

And it always makes sense to check the ignition first cuz it is waaaaay easier to fix. So check the plugs and check the timing.The plugs are like little windows into the chambers. Every one tells a story, and it is really nice when they all tell the same one. While they are out it makes sense to do a compression test right away to. And don't stop at 5 or 7 or whatever revolutions. Stop when two consecutive pulses read the same or very nearly the same. And then, next to the pressure, record the number of pulses it took to peak.
After the engine is proven to be mechanically sound, and that the ignition is doing it's job, and that the plugs are capable of lighting the fires; then you can attack the carbs.
Yeah, you might just have a plugged air bleed.. Or water in the gas. Or any of a dozen carb problems. But guess what; you can chase a carb problem around for days, when the problem was a faulty valve spring, or slipped timing, either of which is a quick find with the previous tests. And when you have two carbs, it can be a lot of hunting.

Last edited:
Did you recently get fuel before this happened? Locking gas cap? Tick anyone off lately? Dies on rev could be fuel starvation or contaminated fuel, low voltage or bad coil in ignition will also die at rev.....

Did you recently get fuel before this happened?
I got fuel two weeks ago, I have used about one third of a tank, I go to the same station every time. It's 92 octane with no ethanol. However, I have an inline gas filter that's in glass and I noticed a few black specs in there and the fuel seemed to be clearer than usual. I'm going to pull that out and flush it clean as a starting point. Then, to the carb thanks!

hey, need help. I have edlebrock dual quads on my 73 360 Duster. 1404 and 1406, 500 and 600 cfm the car always ran great until today. It spit and sputtered and backfired very loud. It died on me 6 times in 2 miles. It will start but won't stay running. I had to have it towed to home. Stuck float? No leaks of fuel, just won't stay running. Any experts out there.

Could be as simple as a clogged gas tank vent. Happened to me on an old Nissan pickup truck. Actually collapsed the tank trying to suck fuel. Take the gas cap off and see if it runs.

-
Back