carb question

-

Beavis

Reaction score
what is my best choice of carb for my 69 383 4 speed car ?? the carter i have now is for a 69 automatic car. i want more performance.

any help would be appreciated :)

what is my best choice of carb for my 69 383 4 speed car ?? the carter i have now is for a 69 automatic car. i want more performance.

any help would be appreciated :)

Any 440 AVS except for a 4966 would be a step up and a direct bolt on.

i have a carter
it says its a D8 4401S

Attachments

• photo (19).jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 335
Just put this on it. Problem solved.

Attachments

• CARBURETOR.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 336
A CARBURETOR.

You must use capital letters when talking about that CARBURETOR. lol

It is the "BoMax" from BLP industries. They custom make them. They can get it in the 5K....that's FIVE THOUSAND cfm range.

You are going to get a thousand different opinions on what carb to put on.

Isn't the only difference between an automatic carb and a four speed carb is that the auto carb has an attachment point for the kickdown?

You are going to get a thousand different opinions on what carb to put on.

Isn't the only difference between an automatic carb and a four speed carb is that the auto carb has an attachment point for the kickdown?

1st sentence... OH so true!

2nd sentence.... No. *I don't think so.* Manual trans carbs are normally jetted richer I believe.

But regulardless, the carb should be sized to the engines performance, intended useage, and to a lesser extent, the trans. With that said, has the engine been modified and to what level? What is the gear ratio.

The old trick was to swap on the 440 HP AVS carb rated at 750. This is a good CFM for street performance with or without modifications. (On the AVS, after primary re jetting, delay the adjustable secondary side properly through trial and error. It is actually easy and can be done in a few minutes.)

There was a mention of an 800 Thunder. IMO, to much. The primary side is to large unless the engine is way hopped up.
Then there was the mention of a TQ @'850. Even though it is 50 CFM larger than the AVS, the spreadbore design allows it to work excellent.but tuning parts are not exactly a phone call away.
It will require a spread bore intake as well or a spacer for which you may or may not have room for.

No matter the style/brand of carb you choose, a 750 CFM is what I myself would look at.
If your street bound, the basic Holley or Carter would be just fine. I myselfove a well tuned double pumper with a manual trans. That would be a 4150 Holley.

the motor is just a date code 69 383 HP 4 speed i think its 30 over with a mild cam. 323 gears

You can use the auto carb on your 4 speed, there is not much difference. It is a High Performance carb. Why do you feel the need to upgrade? Does it perform well? Have you played with adjusting the Secondary Air Valve? Timing up to snuff?

i changed the linkage from the gas pedal and what a difference. im going to keep the carb. but i cant figure out how to adjust the vacuum choke. it always stays open. where can i get an electric choke conversion ?

Many variables apply to your choice. You mentioned more performance but, do you drive the car regularly or does it sit for long periods where the fuel can evaporate completely from the bowls? Carters (excluding the Thermo Quad) are more forgiving than Holleys for this abuse. Holleys have the power valve diaphragm and accelerator pump diaphragms that get crispy after a few cycles of this. They do make green ones for alcohol that last a little better. The thermoquad has main well seal rings that are a rubber or Buna N compound that will shrink and harden and also leak after a few cycles of evaporation. There are many tuning tricks for carters in the "Yellow Book" that are worth while but Holleys are much easier to tune and get parts for and usuallly out perform the carter in my experience. The 3310 is a great platform to work with.

-
Back