Carb recommendation 440

-
If you don't mind sharing, about what did your EFI cost you? I figured about $2500-3000 by the time you buy the EFI specific distributor and all the other odds and ends.
I do not mind sharing at all. This forum has saved me countless hours of frustration research and dollars. If my input does the same for someone else my Karma is good and I need all the help I can get in that dept. keep in mind my disclaimer: that my car was built for 1/4 mile passes with a naturally aspirated stroked 440 running MSD ignition an AED carb ( nowhere near 1050cfm) supporting 630 HP at crank.
So regardless of system you purchase Mega Squirt, HP etc you can figure a base cost of a couple of grand roughly. Then the little things start adding up. You need a pressurized fuel system. Starting at fuel cell or tank then fuel line to and from. Hi pressure fittings for each and every joint. And yes I realize EFI is not technically high pressure like hydraulics but compared to simple naturally aspirated 50 psi is a long way from 7psi. So you have to redo the fuel delivery system in its entirety.
Then we get to the coil packs depending on your design and or package selection they will be an additional cost. Then you very likely will need to redo some electrical as the EFI system does not like "noise". Designated power etc. may or may not need another dedicated fuse panel, again depending on how complete your kit selection is. Then how do you read crank and how often is another decision. Then depending on your transmission you need to integrate your passing gear and or clutch.
And I fully disclose I am just a farmer fumbling thru this the best I can and clearly there are about 100 guys on here that actually do this stuff for a living and can likely give you much better examples. I am just sharing the mistakes I made with regard to my lack of experience. All in I was right at 5,000 dollars. By same token I am thrilled with it and the experience gained gave me the confidence to put a 6.1 gen three in my 72 Demon. I started a thread on it under Hemi swap tab. I enclosed a picture of my Cuda with this post as it is the stroked 440 with EFI ( Mega Squirt 3)

IMG_0946.JPG

I do not mind sharing at all. This forum has saved me countless hours of frustration research and dollars. If my input does the same for someone else my Karma is good and I need all the help I can get in that dept. keep in mind my disclaimer: that my car was built for 1/4 mile passes with a naturally aspirated stroked 440 running MSD ignition an AED carb ( nowhere near 1050cfm) supporting 630 HP at crank.
So regardless of system you purchase Mega Squirt, HP etc you can figure a base cost of a couple of grand roughly. Then the little things start adding up. You need a pressurized fuel system. Starting at fuel cell or tank then fuel line to and from. Hi pressure fittings for each and every joint. And yes I realize EFI is not technically high pressure like hydraulics but compared to simple naturally aspirated 50 psi is a long way from 7psi. So you have to redo the fuel delivery system in its entirety.
Then we get to the coil packs depending on your design and or package selection they will be an additional cost. Then you very likely will need to redo some electrical as the EFI system does not like "noise". Designated power etc. may or may not need another dedicated fuse panel, again depending on how complete your kit selection is. Then how do you read crank and how often is another decision. Then depending on your transmission you need to integrate your passing gear and or clutch.
And I fully disclose I am just a farmer fumbling thru this the best I can and clearly there are about 100 guys on here that actually do this stuff for a living and can likely give you much better examples. I am just sharing the mistakes I made with regard to my lack of experience. All in I was right at 5,000 dollars. By same token I am thrilled with it and the experience gained gave me the confidence to put a 6.1 gen three in my 72 Demon. I started a thread on it under Hemi swap tab. I enclosed a picture of my Cuda with this post as it is the stroked 440 with EFI ( Mega Squirt 3)

View attachment 1715170861
Talk about an investment. I was looking at the Holley Sniper for my street strip application, but I think I'm just going to slap a new Speed Demon on the car and drive the crap out of it. I have a bunch of interior work that needs to be done and all my clutch linkage.

PS That is one good looking Cuda and a hell of a clean engine bay. I'll be on the hunt for headers in the near future, what did you go with? TTI?

Talk about an investment. I was looking at the Holley Sniper for my street strip application, but I think I'm just going to slap a new Speed Demon on the car and drive the crap out of it. I have a bunch of interior work that needs to be done and all my clutch linkage.

PS That is one good looking Cuda and a hell of a clean engine bay. I'll be on the hunt for headers in the near future, what did you go with? TTI?
Yes I like both Dougs and TTI. I have TTI on the Demon as well. The TTI fit the cuda perfectly and not a lot of hammer fitting.

Hello all,
I just purchased a 73’ Dart that was setup for the 1/4 mile. I’m looking to make it primarily a fast street car, but I don’t plan on racing it. Unfortunately, I have a limited amount of info on the build.
Here’s what I know:
Weiland Team G intake manifold (single plane)
Roller cams, 10:1 compression, 3500 Stall, ported, 8 3/4 rear with 4:11, currently has a dominator 1050 on it. Previous owner said 550hp range. I took it for a slow-medium cruise for about 2 miles and used about 2 gallons of gas. The slow and medium speeds are crazy sluggish.

I was thinking about a Holley avenger 770 with vacuum secondaries or a 750 classic holley with vacuum.

I am also entertaining the idea of the Holley sniper efi. Thoughts?

If I left out important info, please let me know. I am new to the hobby and have a lot yet to learn.

My 2 cents. If you decide on like a Holley Sniper, then use a Edelbrock Performer RPM. If not, then keep the Team G. Get a lower stall TC, 2400 - 2700. Change carb to a Holley 4160 0-80508. Rear gears - 3.55 or 3.73. Sniper is the best EFI system out there. It can control timing and fans.

My 2 cents. If you decide on like a Holley Sniper, then use a Edelbrock Performer RPM. If not, then keep the Team G. Get a lower stall TC, 2400 - 2700. Change carb to a Holley 4160 0-80508. Rear gears - 3.55 or 3.73. Sniper is the best EFI system out there. It can control timing and fans.
My fast has been controlling timing,fuel curves, and fans for about three yrs now. All done on the handheld. jfyi

Nothing wrong with a 4.10 gear if you can fit a tall enough tire under the car. I have 3.73 gear with a 275/60/15. I run 2600 rpm on the highway at 65 mph. With 4.10 that would be around 3200 rpm. A 440 does not equal gas mileage in any shape or form. lol Maybe just sell the motor complete and try to find a 360, or if you want a big block build a stock 383 still fun but better for what you seem to want to do?
I know this is an old post but I was doing a search on a similar topic and just saw this. I am wondering if that 2,600 RPM at 65mph is correct. The 275/60R15 tire is 28" tall and with 3.73 gears you should be a hair under 3,000 RPM at 65 according to the on-line RPM calculators. Wondering why you're only seeing 2,600?

Overdrive solves a lot of Hwy. cruise problems. That’s an ez 400 rpm drop.

-
Back