Carb recommendation for the Stroker guys...

-

metallidart

member me?
Reaction score
I'm SLOWLY putting together a 408 for my Dart, 9.7 to 1 SRP pistons, typical bottom with h-beams and forged crank, X-heads with 2.05/1.625 chevy valves, ported by me, Lunati Voodoo .513/.533 276/284 adv 234/242 @ .050, matching springs, etc. I haven't decided on the rockers, or what material for my retainers, etc, but that doesn't have much to do with carb selection. an LD340 that I MIGHT send out to have ported a little, and some Hooker Super Comps with 1 3/4. I have everything but the cam and crank so far. The trans is going to be a 727 with a 3200 stall, and the rear will have a 3.55 suregrip.

I'm having trouble deciding on what carb to get. I always used a Holley 750 DP on my 360, and it worked great. I'm not worried about how much it will cost for the carb, I'll save for as long as I have to. What carb sizes are you guys running, and what do you recommend?

The car is street driven, but I run it like I'm racing every time I drive it lol. I'm not worried about the gas mileage, etc. I'm thinking either a 750HP, or maybe a 800-850 DP? I may run nitrous in the future, may change the heads down the road(meaning higher compression too), experiment with different gears, etc, so I want to leave it open for that too. What do you guys think?

A friend of mine is using a Holley 750 Street Avenger on his 408 with an Edelbrock Performer intake and is quite happy with it.

Just buy a proform center for your double pumper. They flow about 830 cfm after the change and they work great. I have that set-up on my 408 in my Duster. Make sure you change your jets to compensate.

I,m running a Holley 750 v.s(3310)on my stroked 340(372)452hp.These carbs work great and were used on many big blocks,back in the day.A 750 d.p should be plenty!Anything bigger might be giving to much fuel.My 2 cents.

I had thought about that too...but, I kind of sold the 750 DP, so I figured I'd buy a new one. I've never bought a new carb before, always pick them up used on ebay and rebuild them. I may end up doing that again too. I used to work at a major speed parts retailer about 5 years ago (I was in Customer Service, and one of the nice guys!), and there were some problems with the proform bodies, sounds like they got them cleared up. I'll keep that option open, as the 830 cfm sounds about what I was looking for.

Thanks pettybluedart! I'm just afraid that it may not be enough down the road, I can always jet the bigger carb down. I'm hoping I'm not just looking forward to trying a different size carb. Maybe I should pick up a used 750 DP again, and then try the proform body if I need to? I can always save it for a different project, or sell it.

Sounds like you know your way around the 750d.p(another proven carb)Maybe pickup another one cheap and build the way you want.They,re expensive new.Just don,t get a Demon carb.All my racing buddy,s have told me to stay clear of them.I have about 6-7 friends that race 8,9 and 10 sec. cars.Most use Holleys!It,s their prefferance.

Yeah, I've heard some not so great things about the Demons too. There were LOTS of problems with them when they came out as well. But, I've seen some of them work, so who knows. I like the look of Holleys too, which doesn't do anything for performance but its what I want haha. I have always got the best performance out of them. I'm hoping...hoping, mind you, for a low 12/high eleven second pass.

My best run this year was 12.58@109 in my 73 Dart Sport.It,s a 4 speed,this is why I bought my 66 Dart.With that mph,I should be low 12,s maybe a high 11.No more pounding my 4 speed car!I,m gonna invest $$$ in my 360/904 in the 66.It,s also about 6-700 lbs. lighter!

Good idea, my brother has a 75 Dart Sport with a 360/4-speed with 3.91 gears (he refuses to set up his rear suspension, so he doesn't get any traction whatsoever) and it seems like the 4-speed is just beating the car to death with every shift. Although, its a lot of fun to drive! He actually has one of my carbs on his car, I bought a 750 Vacuum Secondary to try, and he offered to buy it off of me before I tried it. I had $75 in it, and it works perfect. I have a 904 that I just had rebuilt last year, with the MP race kit, and a 3200 stall. I only have about 1000 miles at the most on it, I was just worried about how it would hold up with the torque of the stroker. My 904 before that broke 2 different converters, right where the tabs are cut out on the hub. Spewed fluid everywhere.

-
Back