Carb Selection

-

Zachary Egnitz

Reaction score
Hello I am wrapping up a 67 440 build and am looking at carburetors. I want a holly but I'm trying to decide what size and model to go with. It's going into a 69 barracuda as a street car. Here are the details on the engine.
It is a 1967 440
Bored to 4.35
Stroked to 4.15
493 cu. In.
10.9 compression
Trick flow 240 aluminum heads.(valve sizes 2.19/1.76)
Edelbrock Torker single pane intake manifold
Crane hydraulic roller cam with 234/243 duration at .050 and .539/.558 lift
2in headers
I'm looking at 850 to 950 cfm for a carb. Specifically the double pumper and the street HP are the two I've been considering. The street HP doesnt have a choke but I never needed the choke with my 340. But the double pumper only goes up to 850 cfm while the street HP can go higher. Not gonna lie, I like the idea of being able to say I have a 950 cfm carb I want to make sure I have the right size. I'm also considering the street avenger but it has vacuum secondaries only and I am leaning towards mechanical because i don't know what my vacume will be like and my idle will probably be fairly high as well. Any input is appreciated

Thats a pretty small cam for that motor. I have a bigger solid lifter flat tappet cam in my 426 low deck, 383 with 440 crank. The 850 will be more than enough for whats there. Get a carb with 4 corner idle, and make sure you run a power valve on the primary side. Your deal at 6000 rpm works out to 763 cfm. My motor used 638 cfm on the dyno, i have an AED 750 HOM dbl pumper. flows 830 cfm. motor runs great in the car and the throttle response is very crisp.

I would NOT buy an off the shelf carb.

Thumper carbs
Mark Whitner
BLP
damBest

Spend a bit more money and get something worth having.

Edit: never buy a carb based on CFM rating. Buy a carb based on Venturi diameter. Calling any of the above will guarantee you a better carb than anything off the shelf.

A tricked out 1050 Dominator should be considered

Put this on it.

BIG BO.jpg

-
Back