Carb size for stroker

-

drugster

Reaction score
Hi:
Im in the market for a new carb, just need some advice on the size, it's for a small block stroked to 414", all forged,.Bighmouth Eddy heads by Hughes, 254-264, 640-662 lift mechanical solid cam, Indy single plane intake, 1 7/8 headers, 10.6-1 compression. Tf 904, 4.56 with 28.5 tires, 4 link susp.
Can't decide between 850 or 950 Holley Ultra HP, by the way: summit have a certificate for $80 bucks on them.
It's for a street -strip car, and my town is like 4700 fts over sea level.
Wich one is better?

Yours is close to mine and I just went from holley 750 to a Quickfuel 950 and its is better with the 950.

That thing could suck down a 1050 Dominator.

Holley has an online calculator here, just scroll down to the carburetor selector. Or give them a call. The number is at the top of the page.

Carburetors - Holley Performance Products

Also, since you got the heads from Hughes, did you talk to them about the application? they may have some useful input.

Some thing to keep in mind, an HP950 flows roughly 830 cfm and an 850 flows right about 930 cfm. Depends on the mods done to each, but the flow for these two carbs is almost exactly flip-flopped with their name. A Holley 950HP is basicly a 750 main body with an 850 base plate. It does not flow anywhere near 950 cfm.

Depends on the 950hp chosen. Some, 80496, do flow in the 830 range, they have a 1 3/8 venturi. 950hp's with the larger venturi flow more.

You'd be better off with a carb from QuickFlow or have someone build you one. Of the shelf carbs are like off the shelf cams.

Try contacting AED , they machine the fancy metering bodies for Holley and will take all your info then build and wet flow a carb for your application at a price that is usually cheaper than Holley or most of their competitors.

HP950. No need to spend more than you have to.
i run a 926 carb shop on mine ,that place also builds good custom carbs, let us know how the big mouth heads perform and if you dyno them been thinking bout getting hughes to fix mine, thanks

-
Back