carb size recomendation

-

UDUST81

Reaction score
so heres the deal, id like to run an 850 double pumper on my 505 build, but am not sure if this will be enough carb for my combination or not

1978 440 bored .030 over
440 source stroker kit 4.250 stroke, 7.10 inch rod
Flat top pistons, aprox 10.8 to 1 compression
knockoff eddy rpms (procomp) fully cncd, flow 328cfm@ .600 lift
hughes flat tappet solid 254/260 at .050 .600/.610 lift
1.5 ratio crane ductile iron rockers
victor intake
tti 2"primarys, 3.5 inch collector
hughes main stud girdle
external oiling

combo will be in a 72 duster, 727, full manual valve body, 4000 rpm stall, 8 3/4 3.91 gears (i am contemplating more rear gear possibly 4.30s)
car should weigh around 3 grand, lift off fiberglass hood, jegs plastic buckets, manual steering, manual brakes,

car is honestly mostly street with a few trips to the track, I am really going for a max power, but still streetable, ive tried researching carbs but the more i look the more confused i become, i have heard an 850 flows about as much as a 950 holley hp, but the 950 is more adjustable. im no carb tuning expert so i feel like this adjust ability may be wasted on a novice like myself. not to mention holley sells rebuilt 850 dps on ebay for around 450, which would save me a significant amount.

anyways basically would like to hear what some more experienced people would recommend, it is much appreciated, once again not looking to give up any power, but would still like some streetability too, oh btw looking to possibly rev up to 7k, not sure how much that affects the choice, thanks again!!!!!

A 1050 Dominator wouldn't be too much for that.

This..I ran a 8082 two circuit Dominator,on a square port 396,solid lifter cam,10.2 actual compression,4500 stall ,4:10s ,in a 3700 pound El Camino.... It was more drivable,than the ma$aged Holley 4781 ,I had on it....

ive thought about that and have been kicking myself for not getting the victor intake with the 4500 flange, would an adapter work alright? or could that possibly mess up the air flow going into a 4150 flange?

Well, the best way is without an adapter when you're going from a large flange to a small (in other words change the intake), but it will work.

Well, the best way is without an adapter when you're going from a large flange to a small (in other words change the intake), but it will work.
thats what i figured, its just sat in the box since i got it a few years ago, may be able to exchange it or possibly sell it to buy the 4500 flange one

so is it the general consensus that an 850 double pumper would be holding this combo back?

Yes, some, not horrible, it'll work well, just slightly limiting on the top end.

IMO, yes.
yours is "almost" a mirror image of mine. I was going to use a 950 quickfuel before deciding on a fast 2.0 fuel inj. setup. the 950 q.f. would be good for the street, and still have excellent performance on the strip. also, the dyno tests I`ve seen say a square flanged carb. manifold w/ an adapter up to a dominator carb. will out flow a dominator manifold. I have a hood clearance problem w/ mine the way it is, and didn`t want a scoop tall enough to clear all that. keep us posted on what u do .

What about a 6 pack setup. Plenty of flow, and it would look SOO wicked.

Mine wanted more and more carb on the dyno. YOu have more ci, more heads and more cam.

I'm running a 950 on the street and it loves it.

The 6 pack rates at approx. 780 cfm when converted into 4 bbl. terms.
The MP/Ford 6 pack carbs flow more ch more and could be sufficient enough for a street strip effort. I do forget there total cfm output.

The 6 pack rates at approx. 780 cfm when converted into 4 bbl. terms.
The MP/Ford 6 pack carbs flow more ch more and could be sufficient enough for a street strip effort. I do forget there total cfm output.
get on hughs engines website, look on the dyno tests. good info.

The 850DP will work fine on that combo, especially for street driving. In fact, for a street car I'd use an Edelbrock 800. The Edelbrock will run a lot smoother and work better around town but it will give up a little bit of power on the top end. You aren't going to be running WOT with that engine on the street anyway unless you want the car impounded and your license taken away!

I'd run a 1050 QuickFuel carb on that engine at the drag strip. Probably a 1050-AN since it should work a little better. The 1050 carb will pick up maybe 10 hp over the 850DP. Maybe 15 to 20 hp better than the Edelbrock 800. So you probably won't ever notice the difference unless the rest of the car is so well sorted out that you can actually find the difference. Most street cars are a mess at the track anyway so 20 hp doesn't matter.

get on hughs engines website, look on the dyno tests. good info.
Yes yes yes, I have seen the big block 6 pack dyno build and runs. Very cool stuff.
Having something like that would be like apple pie and ice cream on the side.
(A full hot fresh pie and a gallon of ice cream. Not just a slice and a scoop)

Put a Dominator on it and don't look back. This has been worn out, beaten down, used up and trashed like a $2 ***** on Coke.

It ain't 1979. Come out of the dark ages. The only reason not to use the Dominator is if you have hood issues.

In fact, PM me and I'll make you a killer deal on one. The only way I will do it is if you send (or I can send it for you) to Thumperdart and let him go through it. I'll make it cheap enough that when you add up shipping and thumpers work you won't be penny broke and prostitute poor. I'd call thumper and find out the cost. This dominator has annular 12 hole boosters, billet 3 circuit blocks (that would probably need to be made a 2 circuit for you), fuel chute bowl and matching floats. I would even send it to thumper first and if he thought it wouldn't work for you I'd eat the freight both ways and not charge you for the carb til he was done.

Sell the intake you have and get one with the 4500 flange.

yellow rose, what kind of price are we talking here for a two circuit dominator set up for the street all in? just so i have a decent idea on price, as always money is tight but i am willing to invest a little more if its truly worth it

yellow rose, what kind of price are we talking here for a two circuit dominator set up for the street all in? just so i have a decent idea on price, as always money is tight but i am willing to invest a little more if its truly worth it

I will call Dom tomorrow and see what he thinks about a 3 circuit on the street, but from previous calls I'm sure he'd want to make it a 2 circuit.

I'll get back to you and see if we can make it worth your while. Dom may tell me I'm blowing sunshine up your pant legs. I don't want to get you into something that ain't going to be worth your $$$$$$$$$$$$

I will call Dom tomorrow and see what he thinks about a 3 circuit on the street, but from previous calls I'm sure he'd want to make it a 2 circuit.

I'll get back to you and see if we can make it worth your while. Dom may tell me I'm blowing sunshine up your pant legs. I don't want to get you into something that ain't going to be worth your $$$$$$$$$$$$
thanks i appreciate it

-
Back