Carb Spacer

-

321Scamp

Reaction score
What kind of change could I be looking at by going with a carb spacer? Which is better a 1/2" or 1"?

I need to get more air at mid to full throttle acceleration. That is the only area of my setup that is a little rich. Under hard accel, it sounds like its going strong, but if I back off a little the RPMs don't change put it starts to pull. I can't find the right metering rod that will lean it up in the WOT and stay the same in cruse mode.

Any thoughts?

If you can't find a metering rod big enough to lean it out @ full throttle then you will have to lean it out with a jet change and get a metering rod with the same size at the full throttle step and a smaller diameter at the cruise step.

This is really how you are supposed to set up a carb. Full throttle sets the jet size and the metering rod sets the cruise mixture.

Chuck

I had a 1" super sicker on my Barracudas 340. I was using an LD340 intake, Eddy 600 carb. The super sucker in my case leaned it out enough that I had a lean surge at cruise and needed to richen it up. Of coarse no way to tell if it will do the same for you and at $85 they arent cheap spacers.

Edelbrock has a 4 hole spacer and a performer series divided wall spacer. Which do you thing would be more effective?

edl-8711.jpg

edl-8714.jpg

The 4 hole spacer will make the signal from the carb stronger. I would think that would lean it out best.

340 hit the nail on the head. Adam's exper. with spacers are very valued and should help offer some insight.
I was thinking of a band aid fix that can bennifit the overall performance and be a worthy additon to the engine package.

K&N (Or other) have an extreme lid that allows more air to be introduced into the carb. This will not add height (Or very little) as a spacer will and could help if the tuning chore is spinning your head. Jets and rods can be a royal pain sometimes.

DB15, it's a case of try and see. A 4 hole spacer helps torque. The thicker the spacer, the stronger the signal it helps create. Also, the fuel is atomized longer.

A open spacer helps top end. A gain on a open spacer isn't seen until the upper part of the upper RPM range. This can seriously hurt performance of a mild race set up and street car.

Thats the basic. You will have to test and re-tune the car for every spacer tried.

Try with out the stub stack. I have heard they hurt power on Eddy carbs.

I noticed on mine, if I left the choke slightly tilted closed, it picked up real well. Not the way it is to work I think.

-
Back