Carb Studs or Bolts--Any Rhyme or Reason?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I will someday install a factory 340 intake manifold and 340 Thermoquad on my Mopar two-barrel small block. I find I have purchased (on-line) installation fasteners for the thermoquad, one package has bolts, another has threaded studs.

Is there any rule of thumb the factory used when installing the carbs with studs or bolts? Not a critical issue, but something I would like to be informed about. Thank you. (foto for illustration purposes only-not the parts I purchased)

bolts and studs.jpeg

Studs are better, as they hold the gasket in place, and center the carb when you set it on there. Plus on aluminum, you don't want to be running bolts in and out of there all the time. That is hard on the alum threads.

Many OEM assemblies have studs in 2 holes and bolts in other 2 holes. Only reason is the carb shape gets in the way so you can't drop a bolt into certain holes, so place a nut on a stud there. Bolts wouldn't work at all 4 but studs would have. Why OEM didn't use 4 studs? Don't know. I'll guess nuts are easier dropped and lost.

-
Back