Carb upgrade on 65 dart 2bbl 273

-

65VERT

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade from a 2bbl to a 4bbl on a 273. What are pro's and con's with this upgrade want to keep completely stock otherwise.Any suggestions on manifiold (Brand) and carb. I was looking at edelbrock manifold but not sure on a carb. Would a 4bbl carb from my local parts shop HolleyII Stromnberg ,Champion be compatiable with edlebrock ? Any suggestion and guidance would help. Thanks

if your not going to upgrade the cam, and add dual exhaust
i would suggest leave the 2bbl on.

I would suggest add the dual exhaust before adding a 4bbl,
this will be a noticable improvment.

I have a 64 Valiant, 273 2bbl, and had a 67 Valiant,
273 2bbl, with both cars, I added electronic ignition, and Dual
exhaust with Turbo mufflers.

The '67 car, I was drag racing at the local 1/4 mile, and i got
aprx 7/10ths quicker adding the duals.

My local Midas shop did a nice job, going from the stock manifolds,
then going to 2 1/4" pipe, thru the mufflers,
and out the back. :)

I have had Mopar cars since 1976. Tried adding a 4bbl on a 360
2 bbl car years ago. I put the 2 bbl back on, and was happier.

A 4bbl on an engine that can't breath, and use the fuel is asking for
problems.

The 2 bbl cam will not make use of the fuel, and the compression,
on the 2 bbl is only 8:8-1, vs 10:5-1 on the 273/4bbl.

Lee/cavemanmoron

Yes, I have a 4bbl on my engine now, but its not stock. ;)

65Vert, which Edelbrock manifold do you plan on using? Do you want manual or electric choke? Something no more than 600 CFM, by Holley(0-1850S) or Edelbrock (1405) would be a good starting point. These are manual choke carbs. They are also squarebore flange. So if you are using Edelbrock manifold #2176, which is suggested as a stock replacement, then you will need a 4 hole adapter from squarebore to spreadbore. T340

Another thing, if the 273 is a 1964/65 engine, the intake has a 2 year
only pattern, the intake for the 1964-65 engine is hard to find.
{read not cheap, from a junkyard. :(}

A 273 has very small ports, if you do decide to go with a 4bbl,
be sure to use a small port size intake, not a 340/360 newer style intake.

The 273 4 bll was an AFB, if I recall it flowed aprox 525 cfm.

Someone here on the site did have an Old intake for sale.
It is sold, they asked $120 for it.

Another one, Offenhauser. Captainkirk has for sale.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10331&highlight=intake

IMO, choose the edelbrock 500cfm and just the regular performer manifold. you will get better gas mileage when putting around town on just the primaries, but can open it up a bit for some pep. my 64 dart gt 273/2bbl 4speed had a 68 340 4bbl manifold and a 68 avs and it picked up a bit for a stock 2 bbl motor. and yes, dual exhaust will help it breath better. more coming in means more has to go out.

Thanks alot for all the info I do have dual exhaust so it looks like a done deal to move foward with the project.
Negotiating with captainkirk on the Offenhauser. Hopefully all goes well. I'll post with a update Thanks again to all who responded.

Good luck with the project. The intakes aren't at your local store and make it hard sometimes. I've only seen one hanging on a wall at a speed shop once. Never bolted on. Engine owner purchase mistake. Sat for years.

On the carb, a 500 cfm 4bbl is what I also agree with. Though I do believe you'll find better mileage because the 2 bbl is rated differently than the 4bbl. 1/2 of the carb is what you'll be driving on.
Tune the primarys well and it'll be sweet. IMO, I'd do an electric choke.

I have a '66-67 273 Commando 4 barrel iron intake for sale. $125 takes it. Sandblasted and ready to go, unmodified all original.

I can deliver it to Carlisle if you want.

Neil

-
Back