Carbed Magnum parts list?

-
no - it will not fit...beside the fact that they are casted totally different, simply look at the gaskets, magnum and LA waterpumps do have a different rotation direction
Thats what I thought but got confused at what he said.

Hey guys, sorry to bump this, got the car, a motor, intake mani, headers, carb. Doing the swap as we speak. so itll be carbed. Anyways, My 1970 dart had no AC, NO P/S. not sure what belt i need to run? The 318 just had the 1 "V" belt I guess youd call it. Basically ran CRANK-Water Pump-Alt. Can I just put this all on the Mag?

yes .. you can put the V-belt set up (crank pulley, water pump pulley) on the Mag. maybe when using the Mag damper, you have to rework/slot one of the bolt holes on the crank pulley a bit

a Mag can be disguised to look like an LA Motor.

about the size - sorry - but best is to measure by yourself with a string to get the correct length

you have to run complete LA front to use V belt, timing cover, water pump, pulleys alt etc. If you want to keep magnum alt, you need to use serp belt. Its easy to get rid of A/C and PS and keep the serpentine belt.

ACPSdelete2.jpg

Blah. Can someone explain the oil pan issue? Will my 318 oil pan work? Also, worried about the timing case gasket.

Screenshot_20160917-140649.png

Screenshot_20160917-140536.png

you have to run complete LA front to use V belt, timing cover, water pump, pulleys alt etc. If you want to keep magnum alt, you need to use serp belt. Its easy to get rid of A/C and PS and keep the serpentine belt.

View attachment 1714968646

Can I just use the pulley on my 318? The one that bolts to the harmonic balancer to keep the v belt set up? Also, wiLloyd my 318 oil pan work? Only part I'm lost on is the oil pan/pickup. And front case gasket.

Can I just use the pulley on my 318? The one that bolts to the harmonic balancer to keep the v belt set up? Also, wiLloyd my 318 oil pan work? Only part I'm lost on is the oil pan/pickup. And front case gasket.

The timing cover and water pump from the LA both fit the magnum, (gaskets and all) and if you are using the stock magnum cam you will HAVE to run an electric pump.
You need to use the magnum front balancer with the LA pulleys on it, and one bolt hole for the bottom pulley may need to be elongated a little for all 6 bolts to go in.
There is a kit you can get if you need it to adapt the mechanical pump to the mag cam.
I picked up a Chev big block fuel pump block off plate for mine at Autozone. (same size as the mopar small block pump mounting area in the timing cover)
The 318 pan and pickup will have to be swapped out for a front sump 360 pan and oil pump pickup.
I just used a regular old 360 pan and gasket set.

Here's my Magnum as an LA with a fully automatic 42RH overdrive trans, EQ heads, Performer intake and Edelbrock 600 electric choke.
Talk about a rocket. :D
The entire swap for theengine, trans and all took me about three days, and that was including building the new crossmember for the OD trans.
Not sure I'll ever get used to two more shifts after 3rd, as every time it catches me off guard just a bit.

OH, OH, if your going to be using headers be sure and cut that boss for the truck mount off the drivers side of the block before the engine goes in or it won't let the headers sit flush to the heads on most.
It's a PIA to cut off with the engine in the car already. :D

MagnumswapLA.jpg

Last edited:
I thought you had to use the Magnum flexplate and balancer for some reason. I will block off the mech pump and run electric. However it will still be a 904 trans car

Lastly, still haven't got a straight answer on this. Im.using my LA front case. But do I use the Magnum balancer or la? I wanna run the LA style v belt.

If there both an internally balanced engine, yes.
The Magnums pulley is part of the balancer.
If the Magnum engine is an internal balanced engine, then your LA damper may be a internal damper.

If your Magnum is externally balanced, you need a damper that can accept pulleys. Summit racing has such a damper. I have one myself.... Somewhere....

Last edited:
Where does that pulley come from? The one that replaced the P/S pump.
Its the factory tentioner just moved to other side of engine, custom bracket holds it in place.

I thought you had to use the Magnum flexplate and balancer for some reason. I will block off the mech pump and run electric. However it will still be a 904 trans car
You have to use the Magnum balancer and flex if you have a 5.9 or if you want to run factory injection.

Lastly, still haven't got a straight answer on this. Im.using my LA front case. But do I use the Magnum balancer or la? I wanna run the LA style v belt.
The 318 and 5.2 can use same balancer, 360 LA is different as is 5.9 magnum and 360 wont work on 5.9.

If there both an internally balanced engine, yes.
The Magnums pulley is part of the balancer.
If the Magnum engine is an internal balanced engine, then your LA damper may be a internal damper.
If your Magnum is externally balanced, you need a damper that can accept pulleys. Summit racing has such a damper. I have one myself.... Somewhere....
FYI Only 2002-2003 5.9's have a pulley/balancer cast together, all the rest are separate with the exception of a few late 2001 5.9 Durangos and Dakotas. PRW makes a better balancer that works on all LA as well as all Magnum V8's....comes with 3 balance weights that screw on for late 340, LA 360 and 5.9 Magnum

-
Back