Carbon Monoxide

-
Mild CO poisoning from car exhaust sets my ears, and in particular,my earlobes on fire.They turn red and are physically hotter than the surrounding area. Then I get a headache. Then I get sleepy.Sometimes my mouth tastes like blood.When my ears get hot, a mirror-check usually shows that my face is also red.
My ear lobes will remain hot for quite a while after getting clean air.Perhaps an hour or more. My brain alerts me to the heat in my ears. The physical touch proves it.Then I get out.(I hate those headaches.They're worse than the too-much-sun/hard work,ones)

My 68 Barracuda has lots of places where air can get in. Lots and lots. My cowl seal is good. My headers leak a little at the merge point,only. The pipes are 100%. The turndowns exit about flush with the outer edge of the bumper. There are 3 holes of 1/8th, drilled in low spots in each side, including 1 in each of the mufflers...........I have no CO issues at all.

And if anybody cares; I have a thermostatic clutch on my shrouded 7-blade fan. It can push a lot of air. And I'm geared for 2200 @ 60mph. And an early style rear spoiler. And lots of holes or faulty weather-strips.

CO is a chemical asphyxiant that binds to the hemoglobin in your blood and will not allow oxygen uptake. As mentioned some symptoms of include headache, dizziness, fatigue, confusion etc. It has a 3-4 hour half-life in your blood stream, so symptoms may persist for quite some time after exposure. Nothing to fool around with and if you think you have been heavily dosed get to open air and ventilate your space and get you blood oxygen checked at the doc or ER. A CO monitor in your garage and house is always a very good idea.

I feel after driving my 68 Cuda that I am experiencing symptoms that might be brought on from breathing in carbon monoxide. The exhaust system from the engine to the rear bumper is new and has zero leaks.

Where at the bumper does it terminate? The ends should be out under the physical steel of the bumper, and not forward of it.

I was very careful when I put mine on to make sure it ended up there.

Before getting too wild, get a monitor or detector. You can buy very simple $4-5 CO detector that will change color in the presence of CO; you can get these at many pilot supply stores. (A CO problem is always a possible issue in small aircraft as the cabin heater is a 'stove' around the exhaust and any leak there will push exhaust into the cabin.) Just put one on the instrument cluster near you and watch.

Look here:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ps/carbonmonoxidedetectors.html

That's a great suggestion. I remember my dad carrying those in his Piper. JTG: Have you found your source of CO yet?

How difficult is it to close your trunk? Now that I have the weatherstrip all around it takes a good hard slam to get it to latch, but now no fumes...

That's a great suggestion. I remember my dad carrying those in his Piper. JTG: Have you found your source of CO yet?

Hi clifftt, I been so busy doing house renovations haven't even touched the car since starting this post. On a tight schedule as a good bit of this work is seasonal due to the winter. I do like the idea's mentioned by some of the members, I will try to implement some of their suggestions and provide an update on this car at some point.

Trunk weatherstrip is whats wrong with mine too. I even have a new one ,but still need to finish trunk.

-
Back