Carburetor delima

-

713404spd

Reaction score
Right now I have a good problem. I have the choice between a thermoquad or a holley carb. The tq supposidly came off of a lil red express. It has the small primaries. The holley is a 600 vac sec single pump electric choke. They are in about the same condition and they are going on a basically stock 360 in my dart and I am more worried about fuel mileage than anything. Which carb do y'all think is best suited for me??

I really like a Holley 600. I have used one on many cars over the years……

Is it the right one for you? I don't know, but If I was in your shoes it is the one I would try first.

I would absolutely go with the TQ. Make sure you run through the adjustments though to make sure they are right on.

I personally am not a fan of the holleys...have not had very good luck with them , HOWEVER I love the Holley 670 street avenger...I think it is a great carb.

but given your options I would go with the TQ.

make sure to check it over real well and that it is a good carb.

Holley...theres a reason we took the "thermo-bogs" off and threw them in the trash and replaced them with Holley's back in the day.Holleys are wayyyyy easier to tune and we would rather be out driving our cars then playing with a "plastic" crab..

I would check the condition of the throtle shafts as far as wear with that being equal, understand that they take different intakes or at least a carb. adapter. Everything being equal, I have always like a proper rebuilt Thermo Quad. The 600 if it isn't a Mopar Holley your going to need the extra holley linkage bracket to hook up the throtle cable and trans kick down linkage.

also, I think it is member strokerscamp who is a wiz with carbs, you may benefit from contacting him and he can tell you alot about either of them

Holley...theres a reason we took the "thermo-bogs" off and threw them in the trash and replaced them with Holley's back in the day.Holleys are wayyyyy easier to tune and we would rather be out driving our cars then playing with a "plastic" crab..

Off course there is....everyone brought into the hype.

The big problem "Back in the day" was overheating the phenolic resin of the TQ carb. While the Holley is easier to tune than a TQ for sure, once the TQ is properly tuned in, you'll never touch it again unlike the Holley.

Mileage wise, your worried about nothing. A properly tuned carb no matter the make or size will do well.

Your TQ is a smog era carb. Not the best idea for a performance mided engine. Go back to the TQ link above and click around. David has a TQ for you and he's is excellent with them.

I'd say the Holley for ease of finding parts and ability to tune it.
I love Thermoquads, but if I was needing parts in a pinch, the holley would be better.

Your TQ is a smog era carb. Not the best idea for a performance mided engine. Go back to the TQ link above and click around. David has a TQ for you and he's is excellent with them.

I would disagree, I rebuilt one off a Lil Red a couple ytears ago. It was not like the standad smog carbs of the day. The performance version was not lean burn and had ported vacuum and the more adjustable idle circuits. It was a very nice working carb.
I do know it was the stock carb too.

The TQs on trucks differed from cars. the trucks used the 1974 style TQ all the way into the late 70s. 77 rings a bell but could have been right up till 79. I know the trucks had the good carbs way later than the cars. Trucks had less or no emissions equipment at that time. So yout Little Red carb is probably a danged goodun.

I sit here, corrected! They are correct.

-
Back