carburetor riddle

-

DartConvertible

Reaction score
I've rebuilt and had the original two barrel carb put back on my '68 318, but there are issues I'm trying to sort out. Cold starting, I have to just depress the gas til I hear the butterfly open in the carb and the choke set, rather than flooring it. If I floor it, it floods and won't start. With the choke set, it starts after a couple of cranks, runs for 5 seconds, than starts to run really rich. When it warms up, after a couple of minutes, it cleans up and runs smoothly.

The second part is that after coasting, when I step on the gas, it will try to stall (if cold) or hesitate then go (when warm). I wondered if it's vacuum related, that the higher manifold vacuum has something to do with it.

Thanks

Peter

I've rebuilt and had the original two barrel carb put back on my '68 318, but there are issues I'm trying to sort out. Cold starting, I have to just depress the gas til I hear the butterfly open in the carb and the choke set, rather than flooring it. If I floor it, it floods and won't start. With the choke set, it starts after a couple of cranks, runs for 5 seconds, than starts to run really rich. When it warms up, after a couple of minutes, it cleans up and runs smoothly.

I'd check the choke pull-off diaphagm. This vacuum pot pulls the choke off slightly after cold start start-up to allow the engine to run.

The second part is that after coasting, when I step on the gas, it will try to stall (if cold) or hesitate then go (when warm). I wondered if it's vacuum related, that the higher manifold vacuum has something to do with it.

Thanks

Peter

Could be vacuum related, or, accel. pump circuit, or fuel level in bowl(s).

-
Back