Care to speculate my 340?

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
It's a mild build, reconditioned crank and rods, balanced assembly,.40 over, CR 9.5/1, stock 340 "X" heads, Comp XE275HL cam, Performer 340/360 (non-EGR), Holley Avenger 670 w/ e-choke carb, Stock HP manifolds, stock valve train, MSD Billet Distributor w/6 AL.

[ame]http://youtu.be/RiKMoiS96Dc[/ame]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 608
I'm about to reassemble my 69 340 with the same cam, X heads and similar specs. I'm hoping your close to 375! :happy1:

manifolds are gonna kill it.

that cam is gonna want headers bad.

stick a nice set of headers on and gain 30 hp easy.

nice build no matter what it makes.

I'm guessing 320 to 330. With a set of headers, 340 to 350. You have a really nice build, very close to mine.

that looks like a stock build with a bigger cam and carb .
... less at low rpm and a bit more at hi rpm?

THIS ^^^^ , Should make 320 - 350 , 350 - 380 with headers

Beautiful job and it sounds like she's running clean.

My only question is, what valve springs are you running? If the're mild single's, I doubt you can turn enough rpm to max it out. If you're running the recommended double's (995's), I'd be a little concerned about popping a pushrod thru a stamped rocker at some point. But, maybe you used adjustable 273 pieces?

With that said, a stock 9.5 340 will make in the neighborhood of 240/250 hp. Being conservative, i'll give you 25hp for the cam, and 5/10hp for the Performer intake. So I end up in the 270/280hp range. Anything close to a real 300hp in my opinion, is gravy!

I doubt you plan on dynoing it, but that's cool with me.....I'd much prefer you get it installed and run her down the track. That's the real dyno. :D

I'm about to reassemble my 69 340 with the same cam, X heads and similar specs. I'm hoping your close to 375! :happy1:

375 would be outstanding! :)
Good luck with your 340 and all the best.
If you want post your build for comparo.

Thanks! I'm very happy with it so far.

I totally agree with you on the manifolds and will raise you intake. Im sure I could find more hp/tq if I find a better combo.

I'm guessing 320 to 330. With a set of headers, 340 to 350. You have a really nice build, very close to mine.
Thank you!

Very good guess! Sounds like we were thinking along the same lines.:)

Beautiful job and it sounds like she's running clean.

My only question is, what valve springs are you running? If the're mild single's, I doubt you can turn enough rpm to max it out. If you're running the recommended double's (995's), I'd be a little concerned about popping a pushrod thru a stamped rocker at some point. But, maybe you used adjustable 273 pieces?

With that said, a stock 9.5 340 will make in the neighborhood of 240/250 hp. Being conservative, i'll give you 25hp for the cam, and 5/10hp for the Performer intake. So I end up in the 270/280hp range. Anything close to a real 300hp in my opinion, is gravy!

I doubt you plan on dynoing it, but that's cool with me.....I'd much prefer you get it installed and run her down the track. That's the real dyno. :D
Thanks! Much appreciated. It is healthy :)

I am running the doubles..

This is the numbers motor to the car and it going to mate with the original matching 727.
I currently have 3.91's in the rear.

My target was 330hp

Thanks everyone!

My target was 330hp/365tq.

It's the numbers engine for the car.

I don't think I'll dyno but I think I'm right there.

If anyone wants to run through Desktopdyno and post that would be very cool

AlV

Id say it should make 340-350, ya know they say with a good rebuild 1hp per cubic inch is pretty easy, so with your cam and intake it should be obtainable

Id say it should make 340-350, ya know they say with a good rebuild 1hp per cubic inch is pretty easy, so with your cam and intake it should be obtainable

I would take that In a heartbeat. Lol

I do agree that the manifolds are going to choke it up, headers would most deffinately help

Focusing on the top end, What changes would you guys recommend to improve this build?
Maybe break it up like this:

Stage1 Bolt on:
* intake - which intake would you go with?
* exhaust - which header and exhaust would you choose?
* carb - which carb would you pick?

Stage2:
* heads - how would you modify the heads?
* stage1 - include stage one components with updates resulting from head mods.

This should be cool.

Thanks

AlV

Intake: hands down Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap.

Headers: Doug's headers or TTi

Exhaust: 2.5 inch after the headers will be just fine for your build just get the stainless steel version if possible. TTi sells a kit if I'm not mistaken.

Heads: I'd modify them right off my engine and sell them. Then buy a set of either RHS with 2.02 valves (cast iron) or Edelbrock (aluminum) either head in closed chamber form. Clean them up with some porting. Getting correct head gasket as well.

Other things I'd do is match the porting intake to head and gasket match intake to head and head to exhaust.

Intake: hands down Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap.

Headers: Doug's headers or TTi

Exhaust: 2.5 inch after the headers will be just fine for your build just get the stainless steel version if possible. TTi sells a kit if I'm not mistaken.

Heads: I'd modify them right off my engine and sell them. Then buy a set of either RHS with 2.02 valves (cast iron) or Edelbrock (aluminum) either head in closed chamber form. Clean them up with some porting. Getting correct head gasket as well.

Other things I'd do is match the porting intake to head and gasket match intake to head and head to exhaust.

Lol modify them off! That line brought a smile. In Your opinion is there value in modifying the X Heads? Or is that the performance increase not justify the cost of working them?

I love talking about milder builds like this, but aren't you going to drop it in, as is, from the test stand instead of more mods?

Seems like I'm the only bad guy here :D. Honestly, the guesses in the 330/350 range are crazy in my opinion. That kind of power would support 106/107 mph in the quarter with a 3200lb A body, wet with driver, a decent gear, and some bite. That would equate to deep in the 12's. I just can't see that happening.

I do have some experience with a stockish type street build, and although it was 39yrs ago...lol, a stock block 70' 340 in a Duster, with a .474/[email protected] purple cam, 273 rockers, along with a 780 Holley and spacer on the factory "848" intake and that was it.

View attachment 340 001.jpg

That car went 13.80's @ 103 on belted street G60's with a stock converter and 3.23 gears. Even though it was in cool conditions and close to sea level, the 103mph was a pretty serious accomplishment for what that car had. That would equate to somewhere in the 280/290 hp range.

I seriously hope the best for you. If that baby runs 12's @ 106/107, that would prove to me that it made 330+ hp. Regardless of the exact numbers outcome, that will be a really fun ride on the street. :thumleft:

-
Back