Carline codes in 1973 Dodge Chassis Service Manual

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
Throughout the book they refer to individual models with a one letter code instead of using model names, (Coronet, Dart, Charger, etc.) On page three there is a chart telling what the codes are for each model. (L Dart, J Challenger, W Coronet/Charger, D Polara /Monaco)

The problem I am having is they also use a lot of carline code letters that are not in this chart. I cannot find what models R, Y, P, C, Y, B, V refer to. This makes it impossible to determine which set of instructions apply to my car (Dart) when L is not mentioned

Can anyone out there enlighten me? In particular, I want to know which set of instructions in section 2 to use to remove the torsion bars in the front suspension. Too many letters.

I was just looking at mine earlier today to see how the parking brake cable is clipped into the frame. None of of the instructions were any help anyway so it didn't really matter which car I was looking at. It can be confusing.

R - Plymouth B-body
Y - Imperial
P - Plymouth C-body
C - Chrysler C-body
B - Barracuda A and E body
V - Valiant

R Plymouth mid size
Y Imperial
v valiant
B Barracuda
C Chrysler
P Plymouth full size

dart and valiant have the same front suspension.

Later editions group V&L. This is a capture from an FSM showing alignment and ride height procedures. I forget the year of the FSM but it’s just what I have on hand at the moment.
FB12E5C4-B42A-461F-A82C-D54FCEB407D0.jpeg

Thank you for your responses. I had a feeling they were mixing Chrysler and Plymouth in with Dodge. Thanks for posting what all the other letters mean.

Yes, this is helpful, as I couldn't find the chart....
I don’t know of any chart but in the factory service manual in the beginning of the chapters or the beginning of the book has the car lines laid out.

I will agree it can be confusing. Another example is my ‘79 Dodge Magnum which falls under “X Body.” I had a fella at the dealer explaining to me that the X was for experimental because of the body redesign the older executives didn’t like and assumed would fail as being it was a “Radical Change” in the body styling of the time.

Thank goodness the change happened because the Charger was selling beyond piss poor (under 2,000 units sold) and the Magnum body was supposed to be the ‘78 & ‘79 Charger but not named so because of the nervousness of the executives wouldn’t allow the Magnum to be named a Charger fearing it would tank.

How they feared that when the Charger wasn’t selling worth a **** at the time is beyond me. FWIW, the Magnum sold over 55K at the car’s introduction & the Chargers numbers were under 1800 for the ‘78 model year.

-
Back