Carpet Around Center Console

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
My '68 has a factory center console and the carpet that goes around it is a separate piece that resembles an apron. The prior owner's peeps did what I would characterize as a half assed job installing the old carpet. I plan on putting new carpeting in and want to know if the separate apron piece is factory. My guess is that someone here will have an answer.

My 71 Demon has the apron and I know it's original. Now you know. Wonder if you get the apron parts when you re-carpet?

Mine had the apron as well.....no one has a replacement so I got some extra carpet from year one and had one made from my old pattern....i had it made in 3 pieces instead of two and it fits better around the back of the console.

Did you keep your old one?

The console skirt is a seperate piece. Lots of aftermarket vendor have it. You may experience a little sticker shock when shopping but.. If you'll look at the strip upside down you'll see the material is cut on a bias. It turns the corners smoothly where a square cut would not. Good luck

Yep! They are simple in construction but not cheap to buy. Test fit to get a feel of where it goes. Use some 3m weatherstrip adhesive to attach it to the console. you should have a minute to position it before the adhesive sets up.

As always, I figured I could count on you A-Body junkies to come up with the right answer....thanks all!!:toothy10:

I forgot to mention that my car has a tremec five speed. I'm wondering which carpet to order, so it will fit with the trans tunnel. Here are some pics.

TransTunnel.jpg

TransTunnel1.jpg

You cannot have carpet with a Tremec 5 speed. I really don't need carpet, so I'd be happy to trade you my factory 4 spped for your Tremec. Then you could definitely order some nice, new, carpet:)

OK let me see if I have this right

You have a 5 speed

are planning on using a factory console

need new carpet

Have i got this right?

you would want to use auto carpet since the 4 speed has a hump molded into it. You might want to make the console skirt since it is designed for the hump (you don't have it) or take it to a interior trim guy and have them make the carpet for you

The fun or customizing, NOTHING FITS

OK let me see if I have this right

You have a 5 speed

are planning on using a factory console

need new carpet

Have i got this right?

you would want to use auto carpet since the 4 speed has a hump molded into it. You might want to make the console skirt since it is designed for the hump (you don't have it) or take it to a interior trim guy and have them make the carpet for you

The fun or customizing, NOTHING FITS

Yes, I have a factory console. If I purchase a carpet designed for the four speed, will I still need to purchase the console carpet skirt too?

Yes, I have a factory console. If I purchase a carpet designed for the four speed, will I still need to purchase the console carpet skirt too?

The console carpet is a separate piece whether it's 4-speed or auto as far as I know.

I ordered the auto carpet and still had to cut out the area for the console. I'm wondering what the difference is between the auto and 4-speed carpet :scratch:

My 2 cents. You need the auto carpet. The console carpet is the same . The factory 4 sd carpet has the molded section where the original tunnel went.

yeah what he said

4 speed carpet has the hump molded in

console skirt is extra $$$$ with either, not sure if 4 speed skirt & auto skirt are the same

Since you have a custom floor/hump, auto carpet could be cut to work, 4 speed would have large hump to the left of center

So, it sounds like I should be getting the auto carpet and cutting out for the center console, as the 4spd carpet probably won't fit my tunnel hump correctly. Also, I believe the skirt is available from the manufacturer too, right?

So, it sounds like I should be getting the auto carpet and cutting out for the center console, as the 4spd carpet probably won't fit my tunnel hump correctly. Also, I believe the skirt is available from the manufacturer too, right?

10-4, I bought my carpet and the console skirt from a guy on E-bay. I can't remember who thou. Damn old age!

My '68 has a factory center console and the carpet that goes around it is a separate piece that resembles an apron. The prior owner's peeps did what I would characterize as a half assed job installing the old carpet. I plan on putting new carpeting in and want to know if the separate apron piece is factory. My guess is that someone here will have an answer.

I suggest you should continue to separate the apron piece. What kind of apron piece do you want?

-
Back