carpet install

-

moparfanatic56

Reaction score
Ok need some info, I am putting new carpet in my 72 dart and I need to know if the carpet goes over the top of the door pinch weld or if it is cut off flush with the top of the pinchweld. I currently have it over the pinch weld but it seems to have the Sill plate up too high to the point that the Sill plate extensions will not line up.
Thanks for any tips or advice

I put mine over the pinch weld, but I would say not to far down into the plate. Maybe about an 1- 1/2 inches over, so the plate can help hold the Carpet in place.

I put mine over the pinch weld, but I would say not to far down into the plate. Maybe about an 1- 1/2 inches over, so the plate can help hold the Carpet
Here is what I am running into with the extension not wanted to line up

16788239822514324075589052707930.jpg

16788240268587612330276424577710.jpg

It goes to the base of the pinch seam and not over it. It's actually the bottom of the sill plate that holds the carpet in place.

It goes to the base of the pinch seam and not over it. It's actually the bottom of the sill plate that holds the carpet in place.
This becasue there is the black push on trim that goes up the door jam pinch weld that I think goes under the sill plate.

Last edited:
Yes what Dano said above. There is a rubber push on moulding that goes under the Sill Plate at the end there. So you don't need carpet where that goes on.

Yes what Dano said above. There is a rubber push on moulding that goes under the Sill Plate at the end there. So you don't need carpet where that goes on.
How much of the windlace goes under the sill plate? I have new windlace and it runs about 3-4 inches on the pinchweld under the sill plate.

Maybe that's your problem. From what I recall it goes under there about 1 1/2 inches and it is narrowed where it slips under the plate

Thanks this helps immensely. I did figure out that the windlace goes under the upper panel. I guess that I should have taken more notes and pictures 7 years ago when I tore it down lol
I think the carpet goes over the pinch weld and is cut off so that it bumps up against the wind lace under the sill plate. That way you have a clean transition between the carpet and the wind lace under the sill plate. That's the way I did mine at least.

How far up under the dash should the carpet go? Does it need to be trimmed to clear the gas pedal “arm” or does it stop at the base?

I am in the process of figuring that myself, personally I would think that it would be up to the base of the pedal mounting bracket as there is a thin white gasket that goes between the base and the firewall and the same with the steering column mounting base.

-
Back